User Tag List

First 3111213141523 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Grouping the whole of Europe into one bag is something we Europeans learned to do with the Americans. And I don't like it.
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. You guys will probably be at each other's throats again in less than 50 years.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. You guys will probably be at each other's throats again in less than 50 years.
    We'll be Chino-Russian citizens by then. And so will you.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    True, but if you have 40 Ibs too much in Europe people see you as fat.
    When I say fat I mean everything above 30Ibs too much.
    This our local standard.

I think that main reasons for this are

1. We walk more
    2. Food is more expensive
    3. Servings are smaller.
    Not just Europe. That's considered fat globally, except in the states. Well, I guess it's still fat here too, but we have more people that don't have an issue doing that to their bodies.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Gun thread

Please explain to me, why would you want a rifle like that?
    I am not sarcastic I trully don't know why would you need it for.
    Never shot one, but probably not bad for hunting. Also, with the optics on it, probably nice for some long-range target shooting as well. Probably cheap to maintain/fix. Nice antique, and extremely cheap compared to other weapons of that time period, from a display/collecting standpoint as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    True; although in the United States it is hardly ever called "nationalism," standing against national pride puts you in a very small political minority--it is considered radical in most political circles in the U.S. (which Europeans are probably sharp to notice anyway)
    Right. It's called "Patriotism". Which is essentially the same thing. I personally am a part of that minority. I like my country, but I certainly see it's flaws.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

I could only say it's extremely difficult to sum up the complexity of both the USA and Europe in just a few sentences. And I don't know if it's simply something we should seek, unless we enjoy demagogy.

Frankly, is there really something in common between the Midwest and New England [culturally speaking], besides the fact they both belong to the same country?

People from Boston or Manhattan I know usually are a lot closer to the "mainland Europeans" than they are from the average Texan republican voter. There are so many dividing lines within this country... well...
    Basically, a Frenchman feels at home anywhere you have a good amount of universities and museums (just check where French tourists goes on vacation ), so Manhattan is home for us. Living there is not very different from living in Paris, or in London. We could annex it in a blink of eye if needed (or New York could annex us, it's up to you ).
    While in same time, for me Texas is more than a foreign country, almost an alien planet. And the "deep south" as a whole is a cultural enigma. (1)

There are obvious differences however, between Europe and USA. But again, it's far more complex and subtle than the annoying chauvinistic contest we've read so far.

I'd say the two entities are currently on a opposite trend. The USA are more and more fractured and torn apart with each new decade. The country is less homogeneous than it could have been in the past, and the damage done by the Bush administration may require a very long time to heal.
    While for mainland Europe, well, with each new year, every countries of the Union are beginning to look quite the same, politically speaking at least. I'm always so surprised when I notice how close a French like me could feel to a Croat like Antisocial, or to an Hungarian, or a German. It's perplexing, somehow, because our countries and histories are very different, but eventually we begin to think the same way and share similar analysis.

---

(1) Should Europe invade North America, well, the occupation zones would probably be divided as follow: Quebec and New England to France, while we'll share New York and the New Jersey with Italy; Pennsylvania, Nevada and California to Germany; Canada and north western states to Britain; Northern midwest to Scandinavia; Ohio and Indiana to Ukraine; Illinois to Poland; and we'll grant its independance to anything south of the Mason-Dixon line, because honestly, nobody understands those damned, decadent gun loving southerners.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    INTJ

It's a good thing I can speak Russian.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    It's a good thing I can speak Russian.
    ? ?? ??????? ??-??????.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    ? ?? ??????? ??-??????.
    sucks to be you, comrade

Newsletter headline in 2050:

"New struggles on Finland-Chinese border"

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    I could only say it's extremely difficult to sum up the complexity of both the USA and Europe in just a few sentences. And I don't know if it's simply something we should seek, unless we enjoy demagogy.

Frankly, is there really something in common between the Midwest and New England [culturally speaking], besides the fact they both belong to the same country?

People from Boston or Manhattan I know usually are a lot closer to the "mainland Europeans" than they are from the average Texan republican voter. There are so many dividing lines within this country... well...
    Basically, a Frenchman feels at home anywhere you have a good amount of universities and museums (just check where French tourists goes on vacation ), so Manhattan is home for us. Living there is not very different from living in Paris, or in London. We could annex it in a blink of eye if needed (or New York could annex us, it's up to you ).
    While in same time, for me Texas is more than a foreign country, almost an alien planet. And the "deep south" as a whole is a cultural enigma. (1)

There are obvious differences however, between Europe and USA. But again, it's far more complex and subtle than the annoying chauvinistic contest we've read so far.

I'd say the two entities are currently on a opposite trend. The USA are more and more fractured and torn apart with each new decade. The country is less homogeneous than it could have been in the past, and the damage done by the Bush administration may require a very long time to heal.
    While for mainland Europe, well, with each new year, every countries of the Union are beginning to look quite the same, politically speaking at least. I'm always so surprised when I notice how close a French like me could feel to a Croat like Antisocial, or to an Hungarian, or a German. It's perplexing, somehow, because our countries and histories are very different, but eventually we begin to think the same way and share similar analysis.

---

(1) Should Europe invade North America, well, the occupation zones would probably be divided as follow: Quebec and New England to France, while we'll share New York and the New Jersey with Italy; Pennsylvania, Nevada and California to Germany; Canada and north western states to Britain; Northern midwest to Scandinavia; Ohio and Indiana to Ukraine; Illinois to Poland; and we'll grant its independance to anything south of the Mason-Dixon line, because honestly, nobody understands those damned, decadent gun loving southerners.
    Ahah, I like this analysis.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp