User Tag List

First 2101112131422 Last

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Europe is like a moral pendulum. They engage in atrocities one day, next morning they declare the end of a terrible epoch and preach from a mountain, and then the following day they go back to committing atrocities.
    Next you know they'll be lecturing us on how to properly treat women:
    Breaking the silence to aid victims of family violence
    By Heather Robinson
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Tuesday, September 9th 2008, 8:03 AM

A survivor of domestic violence and rape, Katarina Tepesh has spent much of her adulthood trying to forget.

But after Sept. 11, the 58-year-old Croatian, who immigrated to New York at 17, started trying to remember.

An upper East Sider who works as an accounting supervisor for the YWCA, Tepesh published a memoir last year that will be used to counsel victims of domestic violence. "My father hit me so badly my leg was fractured, and was in severe pain for a month," recalled Tepesh, who has striking blue eyes. "As an additional punishment, my father forbade my mother to take me to the doctor."

But her book, "Escape from Despair: A Croatian Family's Survival," is not only a story of ghastly abuse. It is the story of a family - its customs, its members' personalities and the ways the larger society affected this family.

It takes place in Croatia, where Tepesh grew up and which fell under Communist rule during her childhood.

One of the book's themes is the damage that occurs when people are bullied into silence.

She draws parallels between her father's repression of the family and the repression of Croatian society behind the Iron Curtain's Communist regime.

"Our father imposed a silence," she says, adding wryly, "He certainly didn't practice democracy."

Notified by neighbors of abuse in the home, the local police came and did nothing. "An officer walked into the house, saw the signs of abuse, and walked out with [my father]," she writes in the book. "Rather than arresting him, he took him to the closest bar, where they both got drunk."....

Breaking the silence to aid victims of family violence
    So yes the moral of this story guys is when you meet Mrs. Right, just sit back and make yourself comfortable: beat the shit out of her!

Isn't that right Antisocial?

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Europe is like a moral pendulum. They engage in atrocities one day, next morning they declare the end of a terrible epoch and preach from a mountain, and then the following day they go back to committing atrocities.
    That statement can be easily applied to the whole humanity.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    So yes the moral of this story guys is when you meet Mrs. Right, just sit back and make yourself comfortable: beat the shit out of her!

Hmmm... I think it's a bit off to take a woman's personal story, from a while back, during a communist period, and use it to get as close as possible to a personal attack on someone else. If you are going to do that, pick something big and universal in the development of European culture and values... like say, the church. And go back over hundreds and hundreds of years of what it was like for women.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Even if that does not count for all americans, as does not anything count for everyone: I love the american way presented in the movies. Free-spirited or inventionally going knew ways, without hesitating to opinions that bring you down.

I know this is just from the movies and its fictional. But this kind of fiction to be invented needs a certain spirit and the americans are the only dumbheads on earth I know that from .

Let me tell you, it could be worse !
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Hmmm... I think it's a bit off to take a woman's personal story, from a while back, during a communist period, and use it to get as close as possible to a personal attack on someone else. If you are going to do that, pick something big and universal in the development of European culture and values... like say, the church. And go back over hundreds and hundreds of years of what it was like for women.
    Yes and the Church was very influential in improving the conditions of women.

Anyways, it'll be a cold day in Hell before I get lectured to about the supposed lack of culture in America by a person from a region known for its brutal history of slaughter. There's a reason why we call it "Balkanization". I mean, fuck, even the NAZIS of all people were horrified by the atrocities committed by the Ustashe - and yet we're the Philistines?

Let this be a lesson in people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Aren't you from a region where picking off Albanian kindergartners with a sniper rifle is a time honoured sports tradition? Do go on, please.
    Not where I am. However something like this could happen some 400 miles south-eastern from me. But if something like this actually happens it would start a open war between Albania and Serbia.
    But this is possible only because of hate between nations and modern Europen value is that nationalism must weaken by a large degree.
    While that is not case in US as far as I know.

Next you know they'll be lecturing us on how to properly treat women:

This post only proves your hate thoward me or you are bad in choosing arguments. But I think that hostility is more likely.

1. This has happened, but this can happen everywhere. I am sure that if I start to google things like that about US there would tones of information about similar stories. Even cases when cops acted unprofessionally.
    No to mention that things like this can happen in S.America or in the far east. Antitolerance against women is something universal.

2. In communism it was more likely that something like this can happen but communism is gone. You can still sense that it was here but we are modern multi party democracy now and there is no going back.
    And there are large reforms in the country just to replace all old laws.

3. In Croatia it is ilegal to possess weapons. In some cases you are alowed to have a simple rifle for hunting or if your life if really in danger they will allow you to have a handgun at home.
    To make sure that guns in society never do some damadge they have created laws that you can handle it to the police and they will not press any charges even if it is ilegal. The whole point is to remove guns from society and so far this laws are generaly succesful.

4.This is something what is posted in a gun thread

[YOUTUBE="31vm3-BQRJU"]Knob Creek Gun Shoot[/YOUTUBE][/QUOTE]

If you do something like this in Croatia you will go to jail for a 10-20 years.
    Since you are braking large number of laws. (Mayor laws)

In that same thread you have said

Gun thread

Please explain to me, why would you want a rifle like that?
    I am not sarcastic I trully don't know why would you need it for.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    If you do something like this in Croatia you will go to jail for a 10-20 years.
    Since you are braking large number of laws. (Mayor laws)
    If you randomly decided to do that here in your backyard, you would too. However, THAT, is held miles away from anything else, and goes through a ton of permitting and planning to be allowed to be held.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Gun thread

Please explain to me, why would you want a rifle like that?
    I am not sarcastic I trully don't know why would you need it for.
    For collecting, shooting, historical recreations, self indulgence, etc.

The "pursuit of happiness" is an American ideal. Different things make different people happy.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Grouping the whole of Europe into one bag is something we Europeans learned to do with the Americans. And I don't like it.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one
    But this is possible only because of hate between nations and modern Europen value is that nationalism must weaken by a large degree.
    While that is not case in US as far as I know.
    True; although in the United States it is hardly ever called "nationalism," standing against national pride puts you in a very small political minority--it is considered radical in most political circles in the U.S. (which Europeans are probably sharp to notice anyway)

Edgar covered the important part about gun hobbies. In principle, we say you should be free to do whatever you want, as long as you don't hurt anybody. Of course, if you do something weird enough, people who see you may still call the authorities.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.