MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    Oven everyone over 400lbs?

Obesity + food shortage solved in one.

I like this guy.
    What would they taste like?

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Some european nations are more fat then they are used to be but I am talking about people that are extremely fat by US standards. That kind of people you will not find in Europe. At least not in places where I have been.
    I've been to a few places in Europe. I didn't see very many overweight individuals. Ones I saw, may have been 20-40lbs over at the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    In other words, you could say it is a U.S. "ideal" that a person should be allowed to do things that hurt himself if he wants to do them. Assuming he knows that they're unhealthy.
    Grossly overweight people have always bothered me for that reason. They are putting their pain on display for all to see. It's vulgar.

MBTI
    INTP

I have expected that something like this could happen so I am just waiting that people spend their ammunituion. What will probably be soon if we are not already there.
    You could request that the madmins move the fluff posts to the appropriate sub-forum; as it is, few serious people will want to contribute at this point.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post

I've been to a few places in Europe. I didn't see very many overweight individuals. Ones I saw, may have been 20-40lbs over at the most.
    True, but if you have 40 Ibs too much in Europe people see you as fat.
    When I say fat I mean everything above 30Ibs too much.
    This our local standard.

I think that main reasons for this are

1. We walk more
    2. Food is more expensive
    3. Servings are smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    There seems to be a parallel to how Greeks maintained a smug attitude towards Romans as a way to compensate the fact that their golden age of culture had already passed and were now a province of the Roman Empire.
    Europe's golden age of culture has also long passed. Oswald Spengler noted that Europe passed from culture into civilization around the 18th and 19th centuries. And Europe pretty much destroyed itself and whatever was left of culture in both World Wars; and Europe was depended on America for its defense against the Soviet Union.
    1. IIRC Spengler was not discussing the european civilization as a whole, but the so-called "Faustian culture", which includes the american civilization as an offspring of the european one.

2. As we move on in the globalized world with higher and higher levels of organization, Spengler's philosophy becomes eventually outdated.

3. On a side-note: the culture of Rome was never even close to the culture of the Greeks (some roman authors like Lucretius had problems translating greek philosophical sentences because some terms never even existed in latin).

4. I don't mean any harm, but I always have to laugh when somebody mentions that "Europe was depended on America for its defense against the Soviet Union." Well, yes, our country was really expecting the promised help from the United States in 1956, but nobody ever came, we were used as a propagandistic tool to present the cruelty of the USSR.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    baths on a quarter-acre in town for the equivalent of about 1.1 years' income. We're looking at moving somewhat upscale and to a larger city, which will provide us with about 3,000 square feet of living area, four bedrooms and two baths on four-tenths of an acre in a nice older neighborhood, and this will cost us about 2.5 years' income.

How does that compare with where you live?
    My median salary would be ~10x to your ~1.1x. Hell my apartment - 550sq feet - is ~4x.

However, having said that, the US leads the western world in most expensive (relative to income) places to live... and by a fair margin. The US does have more reasonable housing costs in small towns, in general, though. Mostly geography, from what I can tell, since Canada is similar.

I haven't read anything on it in a while, but the parity between Europe and the US is surprisingly equal, in the end. Sure, it eliminates some places in Europe, but the spread is not that different than the US as a whole - kind of like the difference in small town Texas vs LA.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    4. I don't mean any harm, but I always have to laugh when somebody mentions that "Europe was depended on America for its defense against the Soviet Union." Well, yes, our country was really expecting the promised help from the United States in 1956, but nobody ever came, we were used as a propagandistic tool to present the cruelty of the USSR.
    So we should've started World War III just to save your sorry asses? Cuba at least was pointing missiles at us.

So we should've started World War III just to save your sorry asses?
    No. You shouldn't have beguiled us with impossible promises while we were dying for our homeland just to play the good guy once again, Uncle Sam.

Whatever, those times are over. It doesn't really matter anymore.

Sniffles

Gun culture
    Aren't you from a region where picking off Albanian kindergartners with a sniper rifle is a time honoured sports tradition? Do go on, please.

MBTI
    INTJ

Aren't you from a region where picking off Albanian kindergartners with a sniper rifle is a time honoured sports tradition? Do go on, please.
    Europe is like a moral pendulum. They engage in atrocities one day, next morning they declare the end of a terrible epoch and preach from a mountain, and then the following day they go back to committing atrocities.

MBTI
    ENTP

Obesity: US, UK attitudes differ
    This is a few years old, but I found it interesting, because it makes people in the UK look bad.

A global study conducted by Universal McCann last week reveals that while US adults will accept personal responsibility for the obesity epidemic, their British counterparts share blame with food manufacturers. The study was carried out in 10 major markets worldwide, and data from the other eight nations will be released at a later date.
    I don't wanna!