User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    It's important to not give up any ground that has been won, if progress is desired.
    The begged question being progress towards what?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Adding to the umteenth (within the past month) thread on the subject...
    I have to admit, I agree with you on this point.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    I dunno guys. If we legalize gay marriage, we will automatically be forced to allow people to marry their farm animals, and it will happen everywhere. 9 months from then we'll be overrun by minotaurs and the 7 gates of hell will open up, ushering the Antichrist who will destroy all sentient life. In other words, if you allow gay marriage, you destroy all known life in the universe. Think about it guys. It's obvious.
    I think opening up the lower levels of hell could potentially instigate fair trade, which might improve our economy (which, ironically, is already Hell).

And wait a minute, why should farm animals be denied the same rights and privileges their bipedal urban brothers and sisters enjoy already to the max (well, at least the non-gay ones)?

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I don't know if this is just an appeal to emotion or a false analogy, or maybe both.
    That's a pretty bold statement. I'm still trying to figure out how much of your comments are satire and how much are serious... because I'm having trouble taking them seriously. Surely you can project yourself into this situation and imagine it from an alternate point of view, and see most of these answers for yourself.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTj

The begged question being progress towards what?
    True equality in law and societal attitude.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Peguy, let's say we legalize gay marriage. Will any horrible, or even bad, things come of this?
    What Edahn stated:
    If we legalize gay marriage, we will automatically be forced to allow people to marry their farm animals, and it will happen everywhere. 9 months from then we'll be overrun by minotaurs and the 7 gates of hell will open up, ushering the Antichrist who will destroy all sentient life. In other words, if you allow gay marriage, you destroy all known life in the universe. Think about it guys. It's obvious.
    Aww shucks.....might as well conform to stereotype.

Do you oppose it for religious reasons?
    Yes, but my reasons are not limited to religious ones. In fact it was when I was still an atheist that I turned against gay marriage.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Yes I understand that it's an important issue to some. What I don't understand is why its supposed importance is blown way out of proportion. Not only that, why is it that non-gay supporters are so passionated about the issue. And even more, why supporters cannot really explain why it's such an important issue - without resorting to rhetoric about human rights and analogies to the Civil Rights movement.
    But you're not actually asking a question that you want answered or searching for greater understanding are you, you're telling people to stfu cause you're sick of hearing about it.

So yes I'll just like to end this little rant with a polite request: Just shut the fuck up already on this issue!!!!!!!!!!!
    Let me repeat myself: do a search of how many posts I've discussed this issue here. You'll find a grand total of 8 posts, most of them in this thread.

So obviously I don't discuss it much here, and I try as best I can not to.
    Why would I care how often you discuss the topic? Obviously it's something you have opinions on but don't want to have them challenged so what I don't understand is why you would start a thread telling others to stfu.

Well nobody forced you to read this thread now did they? Remember folks, there's a red X button, top right hand corner of your browser.
    Well than let me make my stance clear; I don't care if you're fervently against gay marriage, I don't care if you are unwilling to hear arguments supporting it, you have the right to your opinion. In fact I'm not telling you to stfu because I disagree with your stance, that would be pointless, I'm saying starting a thread about a topic you personally do not want to discuss and telling other people they shouldn't either is sad.

MBTI
    INxJ

What Edahn stated: Aww shucks.....might as well conform to stereotype.
    Except, animals don't have legal standing. Nor can they sign a marriage contract. Seriously, they can't even give consent. There's no way that would actually be the next logical step after legalizing gay marriage.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

What Edahn stated:

Aww shucks.....might as well conform to stereotype.
    Can you come up with a real answer?

MBTI
    InFp
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    I dunno guys. If we legalize gay marriage, we will automatically be forced to allow people to marry their farm animals, and it will happen everywhere. 9 months from then we'll be overrun by minotaurs and the 7 gates of hell will open up, ushering the Antichrist who will destroy all sentient life. In other words, if you allow gay marriage, you destroy all known life in the universe. Think about it guys. It's obvious.
    I know you're being sarcastic and all, but I just wanted to point out my opposition to this thinking. First of all, there is no way in hell anyone will be able to marry an animal. Animals can't consent to marriage! Think about it:
    Priest: Do you goat take this ma-
    Goat: BAHHHH!
    Priest: What was that? You have to let me fini-
    Goat: BAHHH! *eats grass*

Animals have no concept of what marriage is, since it is a human institution.

edit: Damn. Binary beat me there.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

But but but but but Sarah Silverman married her dog!
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    But but but but but Sarah Silverman married her dog!

Sarah...!

"Sit, Ubu, Sit. Good Dog!"
    "Woof!"

... wait. That tramp, how could she do that to me?! We have to STOP DOG MARRIAGE!!!!!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft