User Tag List

First 13212223

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    But what if the guy has more than 100 wives?
    In a 100 days (or less depending on his age and capacities) he will be faced with the same temptations for additional conquests and new faces to adore him.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    With more people to divide the burden.

Which would be possible, as it would no longer be a binary choice.

Or who could have babies. This is the normal situation (mistress, affairs, etc.) where monogamy is the only legal alternative.

The only reason this keeps coming up is because of the use of the words suspect. The whole point is that people against gay marriage 'know' or 'suspect' or 'just don't understand'. It is not an acceptable stance, IMO. As far as I am concerned, you need overwhelming evidence that polygamy is not the natural standard (ie: maximum happiness for the most people, from an objective stance) and should be prevented by legal means (force).
    I am only arguing the premise that polygamy is going to create more sexual satisfaction and less risky behaviors. I am not considering whether or not polygamy should be legal or accepted.

I really can't imagine the five or six way domestic arguments that could get going...

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    In a 100 days (or less depending on his age and capacities) he will be faced with the same temptations for additional conquests and new faces to adore him.
    I guess that's 99 days more satisfaction than most men out of a marriage... (a jibe at the concept that we simply must go looking for more women constantly, rather than being prone to having emotional connections/infatuations for others during the long run of marriage. Believe it or not, men don't go hunting for woman after woman, and polygamy is not about a pokeman "gotta catch them all" attitude.)

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I am only arguing the premise that polygamy is going to create more sexual satisfaction and less risky behaviors. I am not considering whether or not polygamy should be legal or accepted.
    Ah, I don't really know - no one really can. I don't see how risky behavior would relate, except in that giving an alternative that some could take instead of risky behavior, the average would go down... And sexual satisfaction is subjective and not meaningful to me, given that the whole sexual satisfaction thing is a pretty modern concept and I don't have any real support one way or another... wait, I guess not... India was polygamous (both polyandry and polygyny), and they studied it in depth. Well, I still don't know what that would indicate, so, I don't know. I would largely blame 'sex is evil' mentality coming out of the christian/roman formation periods for those effects.

I suppose if you believe that men would cheat just as much or more under this arrangement, you would still believe they would act in a risky way. I disagree that this would be the average result, but even so, it means it is a non-factor, unless you want to assert that men would become riskier (I think you are arguing that men are men and thus we will continue to cheat and do all those negative things no matter what social constraints are put in place...)

I really can't imagine the five or six way domestic arguments that could get going...
    Funny, polygamists tend to say they can't understand how a couple can survive all the stresses in life, no one to mediate, etc. Too bad we can't compare divorce rates/etc to know who has more support.