User Tag List

First 61415161718 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I'm fair and balanced.
    Too rare a quality in such a Philistine. Kudos.
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    If we have different conceptions of what marriage is, which is probable, then that is likely a source of our differing opinions. So perhaps we can just agree to disagree.
    Agreeing to disagree would imply that neither side could refute the others arguments. That is not the case here. You simply asserted your position without defending it. Therefore, it lacks the merit to be given equal consideration by the policy makers.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I have no idea if this has been mentioned before because reading this whole thread seems pointless, but:

If the only problem the anti-gay-marriage people have is definitional, why not just use another word and be done with it?

Call gay-marriage 'aosidjoiasd' or whatever.

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I'm fair and balanced.
    Like FOX News?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by evan View Post
    I have no idea if this has been mentioned before because reading this whole thread seems pointless, but:

If the only problem the anti-gay-marriage people have is definitional, why not just use another word and be done with it?

Call gay-marriage 'aosidjoiasd' or whatever.
    The difference is a little over one thousand rights. The Federal Government wouldn't recognize 'aosidjoiasd' as legally equal to marriage just as they don't recognize civil unions as legally equal to marriage. The result is that many rights and benefits inherent in marriage would still be denied to gays.

Binary's post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    The difference is a little over one thousand rights. The Federal Government wouldn't recognize 'aosidjoiasd' as legally equal to marriage just as they don't recognize civil unions as legally equal to marriage. The result is that many rights and benefits inherent in marriage would still be denied to gays.

Binary's post
    Ah, what I meant was, give them exactly the same rights and just call it something else.

I personally think it's bullshit that they wouldn't want to call it marriage, but honestly, it's a battle that can't be won.

MBTI
    ENTJ

To those who oppose gay marriage:

Do you think your position is fair to homosexuals? If you support government recognition of your preferred unions, by what legal reasoning do you say that similar unions between other people should not receive the same recognition?

To those who support gay marriage:

Would you support a government institution of marriage among more than two people? If not, by what legal reasoning do you suppose that gay marriage (or any marriage) between two people should receive recognition not allowed to marriages involving more than two people? Further, do you think that businesses/insurance companies and/or government programs should be obligated to extend financial support of some kind to all those included in such group marriages, as long as at least one member qualifies for the support?

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Ah, what I meant was, give them exactly the same rights and just call it something else.

I personally think it's bullshit that they wouldn't want to call it marriage, but honestly, it's a battle that can't be won.
    It's been won in seven other countries and in two states here in the United States, so I don't see what justification you have to support the claim that it's "a battle that can't be won." And demographics are on the side of pro gay marriage since the younger generation generally supports gay marriage.

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastMohican View Post
    Would you support a government institution of marriage among more than two people? If not, by what legal reasoning do you suppose that gay marriage (or any marriage) between two people should receive recognition not allowed to marriages involving more than two people? Further, do you think that businesses/insurance companies and/or government programs should be obligated to extend financial support of some kind to all those included in such group marriages, as long as at least one member qualifies for the support?
    Polygamous families have historically been shown to lead to the ostracization of young males from the family and to have a higher incidence of child sexual abuse, whereas studies have shown that the children of same sex families turn out no better or worse than the children of heterosexual families.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    It's been won in seven other countries and in two states here in the United States, so I don't see what justification you have to support the claim that it's "a battle that can't be won." And demographics are on the side of pro gay marriage since the younger generation generally supports gay marriage.
    All I'm saying is that if it's gonna be easier to win (which means rights to gays more quickly) calling it something else, we might as well. Functionally equivalent is good enough for me (in the short term at least).

The difference between here and other countries is the massive power of fundamentalist Christianity.