`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

PWNED!!!

`
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

I saw that whole episode. It was actually a fairly civil discussion. The economic conservatism argument was interesting too. I am fiscally conservative for vastly different reasons than Huckabee, and find his reasons a bit naive (and find Stewart's reasons for regulation, etc. also naive)

I don't get the "redefining" marriage argument at-all. How does the social structure break down if you redefine the word?

It feels like a contrived argument to avoid seeming homophobic. I realize they may or may not be... and Huckabee said that it does not mean they are homophobic.

But really, if you are afraid that if gay people get married, the social structures of society will breakdown, how is that belief in itself not homophobic?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Heh, I don't know. That didn't really look like a discussion where one side was trying to pwn the other (unlike say Crossfire). It seemed more like a reasonable discussion, or at least as close as you can get on a topic like this. I actually think both sides made some decent points too. Although I might personally vote in favor of gay marriage, it's been voted down in every state that has had a vote relevant to the issue. If gay marriage ever does gain widespread support, I don't see it happening any time soon.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    PWNED!!!

SUPERPWNED!

Rock the Marriage!

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    But really, if you are afraid that if gay people get married, the social structures of society will breakdown, how is that belief in itself not homophobic?
    Inherently homophobic, yes.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Inherently homophobic, yes.
    To be fair, this does not have to be the case.

To use an analogy, it's like an anarchist and anyone else arguing over if there should be laws. The argument would go much the same way.

The question is if he is right about society breaking down, or if it is not socially expedient to have it happen. I think that it's the normal conservative mindset of being against progress (why change what worked), but it does not have to be inherently homophobic, or rather, it doesn't have to be homophobic beliefs that draw the conclusion. It end result would be 'homophobic' in the same way that the anarchist would call the rest of us control freaks.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I don't really see how he got owned. Looked to me like one of those debates where whichever side you like, was the side who won.

One thing though, is I don't really understand the semantics argument. As long as the civil rights of marriage are granted to homosexual couples, who cares what it's called. Do gays really care what the name of their union is called, or not called? As long as the benefits of marriage are transferred, why try to change the definition?

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    The question is if he is right about society breaking down, or if it is not socially expedient to have it happen. I think that it's the normal conservative mindset of being against progress (why change what worked), but it does not have to be inherently homophobic, or rather, it doesn't have to be homophobic beliefs that draw the conclusion. It end result would be 'homophobic' in the same way that the anarchist would call the rest of us control freaks.
    Why would society break down for allowing two consenting adults to marry each other? This argument requires gay marriage and anarchy to be within a category of reasonable comparison. It's not.

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    One thing though, is I don't really understand the semantics argument. As long as the civil rights of marriage are granted to homosexual couples, who cares what it's called. Do gays really care what the name of their union is called, or not called? As long as the benefits of marriage are transferred, why try to change the definition?
    Civil unions and marriage aren't legally equal.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Unless you're already a Huckabee fan, Stewart made him look foolish.

But I wish Stewart would have pushed the hypothetical "why would it be so horrible if gays could marry? Give me some scenarios" on him more.