User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Why would society break down for allowing two consenting adults to marry each other? This argument requires gay marriage and anarchy to be within a category of reasonable comparison. It's not.
    That wasn't the point. I'm saying that the causation does not have to be homophobic - for example, it could be a general fear of change. The question of homophobic being inherent is dependent on a point of view that it would have no change, such as what you say above.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Civil unions and marriage aren't legally equal.
    So isn't that what the two sides should be arguing about? Arguing over the definition of marriage seems to be missing the point. Once you secure equal rights, then waste television time arguing over word definitions.

Would the gay community care if they got the marriage rights, but it was called something else?

MBTI
    InFp
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    So isn't that what the two sides should be arguing about? Arguing over the definition of marriage seems to be missing the point. Once you secure equal rights, then waste television time arguing over word definitions.

Would the gay community care if they got the marriage rights, but it was called something else?
    Most probably would. It just goes back to them being seen as unequal. Thats why the whole argument for 'separate but equal' policy that existed in the 50's and 60's failed, because it would be impossible to have two equal institutions. The subconcious biases of the anti-gay crowd would most likely prevail against civil unions, unfortunately.

MBTI
    INFJ

When I was dating women, I remember distinctly preferring civil unions to marriage, with the same legal rights as married couples. Back then, to me, the word "marriage" invoked a very patriarchal and sexist rite - with which I wanted no association. It puzzles me that the gay community wants so strongly to associate with a word that historically means nothing to them. Personally, I would be proud to be a part of a new era.

But I see exactly what you mean, Neo Genesis regarding 'separate but equal.'

Unfortunately (fortunately?) I'm one to understand and oftentimes agree with both sides of a debate. Makes it hard to vote, I'll tell ya that much.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Everyone should get legal civil unions, regardless of sexual orientation.

They can go get married however they want to - in a church, amongst friends, whatever.

Civil Unions = legal rights and privileges
    Marriage = social ritual, may be religious

It is so damn simple it makes me want to scream.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    That wasn't the point. I'm saying that the causation does not have to be homophobic - for example, it could be a general fear of change. The question of homophobic being inherent is dependent on a point of view that it would have no change, such as what you say above.
    Actually, your missing the point.

Homophobia
    : irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals.

If an individual sees two adults of the same sex having the right to marry, as a possible negative impact on society, that is homophobic. They have to first believe there is something wrong with homosexuality, in this cause and effect scenario. It's irrational and unfounded, to think gay marriage is going to be the destruction of society.

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Segregation is discrimination.

MBTI
    ISTP

If an individual sees two adults of the same sex having the right to marry, as a possible negative impact on society, that is homophobic. They have to first believe there is something wrong with homosexuality, in this cause and effect scenario. It's irrational and unfounded, to think gay marriage is going to be the destruction of society.
    I don't think I misunderstand your POV at all. However, what you consider irrational and what others do differs.

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

Damn!

That's one spicy couple!

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    I don't think I misunderstand your POV at all. However, what you consider irrational and what others do differs.
    Doesn't one have to believe there is something wrong with being gay, in order to think it might hypothetically ruin society?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

"Why change what worked?" .. It's becoming obvious that it doesn't work anymore. More and more people are agreeing that it does not work to exclude homosexual marriage. It will eventually happen, I believe, well within my lifetime.

I also don't think there's anything wrong with redefining something, as long as you never lose it's meaning. It's sad to see words used and changed to where they don't mean what they used to.. but I don't think including homosexuals into marriage will make it lose it's importance or meaning.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge