User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default Barack Obama's Martin Luther King Day Speech

YouTube - Barack Obama Speaks at Dr. King's Church

Love him or hate him you should watch this speech. Absolutely brilliant. He seems very sincere, like he actually believes in what he in what he is saying. That's rare in a politician and I like that a lot.
    Last edited by Shinzon; 01-21-2008 at 04:35 PM.

MBTI
    INTJ

slightly ironic hearing a liberal talk about moral deficit...but I can't deny that he is a great public speaker.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    slightly ironic hearing a liberal talk about moral deficit...but I can't deny that he is a great public speaker.
    After the last six years you still think Republicans have a monopoly on morality?

I like Obama more and more as a candidate, but if he doesn't take South Carolina, it could be all over for him.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    After the last six years you still think Republicans have a monopoly on morality?

I like Obama more and more as a candidate, but if he doesn't take South Carolina, it could be all over for him.
    I am a Libertarian so I am in the same specturm as Liberals morally....so I didn't mean it as an insult. I'm simply saying that Conservatives typically are about moral strictness (in the sense of societal morals) and liberals are more about do what you want as long as it doesn't hurt others.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    He voted to reauthorize the Patriot Act. That alone gives me cause for pause.

I don't like the Neo-Cons any better.

MBTI
    OMNi

I am a Libertarian so I am in the same specturm as Liberals morally....so I didn't mean it as an insult. I'm simply saying that Conservatives typically are about moral strictness (in the sense of societal morals) and liberals are more about do what you want as long as it doesn't hurt others.
    I know what you were saying, I really just don't think that Conservatives can really claim to be about moral strictness anymore. I mean you have Mark Foley out after young male Pages, Jack Abramoff with fraud and tax evasion, Larry Craig doing hand signs under a bathroom stall, Scooter Libby out obstructing justice and committing perjury, and about 50 other cases of fine upstanding moral strictness.

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    He voted to reauthorize the Patriot Act. That alone gives me cause for pause.

I don't like the Neo-Cons any better.
    One reason why I am still leaning toward Clinton.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

You've got to watch out for that kind of thing, though.
    It's always helpful from a political stand-point to reclaim a word.
    Say, "what I'm talking about is real morality", and that kind of thing works great.

Just some revolutionary advice.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I would like to set partision bickering and policitcal reteric aside in this thread and focus more on the message Obama was talking about.

I think Obama is right. What Martin Luther was talking about is not just the dream for his people, not just the dream of some disenfranchised Americans fifty years ago, but should be the dream for all of humanity. The dream that we can overcome, set aside our differences and respect one another.

We all need to strive to come together, to empathize with each other so we can finally understand that we are all in this together. We are all human, all just different shades of the same gray. We are trapped with each other and quite frankly you don't sink the ship to spite the person rocking the boat.

I think humanity desperately needs someone to bring us all back together. Is this person Barack Obama? I doubt any politician is in a position to propel such change, we've become too cynical of our government for that to be over the last sixty years, but anyone who wants to work towards that ideal is okay with me as a person.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I'm voting Obama.

I do believe he is the most appealing. He will have the best shot at mending the partisan divide, he will be the most effective at cooling down our international disputes, and polls show that he is the most capable of beating his opponent in the national election. A person like Clinton has a much harder time because she is so divisive.

I also believe in this new wave thing. I really want to shake the foundations, and if anyone can do that, it will be Obama.
    Could it have damaging consequences? Of course! But people should really come to expect that. A little sting is worth the reform, and I also think that gambling on good reform vs bad reform is better than never trying at all.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    fuck

I'm supporting Obama after Kucinich is out. I made a promise to my husband I'd canvass for Kucinich.