User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    I'm pleasantly surprised by the relative centrism of his appointments and statements thus far, but there was plenty about his record to make people suspect (or hope for) a radical agenda.
    Hmm... do you have some bullet points on his record that would imply a radical agenda? I saw lots of media talk, interpretations of what he said and so forth, but I don't remember almost anything in his actual record that indicated radical... certainly not a pattern. I'm still upset by his reversal on FISA - but again, anti-radical.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

At least let him get his feet under the desk, no?

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

As others have already iterated, it's not too surprising he's catching flak for apparently abandoning the super-left. As far as I can remember, he just said he was going to get the country back on track, he never said he was going to do it using purely left strategy.

Obama is a smart man. A very smart man. He's not approaching the presidency as the end of the road, the achievement of a superb honor, and placing his friends in position around him. He's surrounding himself with what he thinks are the best people for the respective jobs, so he has the best minds in the business making decisions.

If I were running for office, I'd lie through my teeth and say whatever it took to get there. You basically have to sell yourself to complete idiots [the voting public] in order to become the most powerful man in the world. It's a joke.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Hmm... do you have some bullet points on his record that would imply a radical agenda? I saw lots of media talk, interpretations of what he said and so forth, but I don't remember almost anything in his actual record that indicated radical... certainly not a pattern. I'm still upset by his reversal on FISA - but again, anti-radical.
    I consider associations and rhetoric to be legitimate standards by which to base expectations on someone who lacks decades of experience in national politics-as for his actual Senate record, his voting record is not that of a centrist politician.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    I consider associations and rhetoric to be legitimate standards by which to base expectations on someone who lacks decades of experience in national politics-as for his actual Senate record, his voting record is not that of a centrist politician.
    Ahhh, I don't. I also don't consider his associations or rhetoric to be more than just media and posturing, not much different than other politicians. And his voting record is democratic - his party.

So I agree with 'not centrist' (from an American POV), but not the 'radical' part. He's pretty stable as a leader, historically speaking.

--- (Rest is not in reference to you, lowtech ) ---

I do, however, find it interesting that some people are all about the "change". So determined to make people see the "truth" that he isn't all about change. I don't know what to make of it - I see it sometimes in other things, like marriage "oh, your happy? Just wait". It always feels like trying to drag people's hopes down.

Course, in this case it actually irritates me more because of the logical inconsistencies. The article, for example, shows that he is doing things differently, and those that expected the same treatment, as in political favors, are upset.

I wasn't much for the whole 'change' thing, but it's article like this that make me think it was more than rhetoric. It makes me believe in change more than before, not less.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

I think that Hillary was a bad choice. She was strongly in favor of the Iraq war until she decided to run for president. At that point, she tried to re-invent herself. Also, I went with a lobbying group to her office to talk to her aide about issues having to do with Latin America and military training of Latin American troops. The aide was completely clueless and said that she never mentions Latin America. I don't think that she is qualified to be a secretary of state. I would have preferred Bill Richardson for secretary of state.

Quote Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
    Great. I was actually pleased with a couple of his cabinet appointments, personally.

I don't understand how any Dem can be unhappy with the Hillary decision, though.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    If people couldn't tell Obama was going to be a conservative president, that is their problem. Look at his personality. Nothing about the man is less than calculation and reserve.
    Calculation and reserve does not equate to conservative. I am calculating and reserved and I think conservative is a dirty word. That said I'm not a hard left liberal. I'm left of center. Hard left liberals don't live in the real world. Conservatives are in the wrong century.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

I was worried when Obama made his first choices with Rahm Emanuel and Clinton, but since then he seems to have made some worthy picks. I'm not judging the guy until he actually BECOMES PRESIDENT (is inaugurated). he doesn't have any power now, as all he's doing is picking who's going to work with him; which doesn't say a great deal about he himself is going to act. At least he hasn't been picking up people like Ayers and Reverend Wright...

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by LostInNerSpace View Post
    Calculation and reserve does not equate to conservative. I am calculating and reserved and I think conservative is a dirty word. That said I'm not a hard left liberal. I'm left of center. Hard left liberals don't live in the real world. Conservatives are in the wrong century.
    As an individual, Obama is definitely conservative.

con·ser·va·tive adj.

1. Traditional or restrained in style
    2. Moderate; cautious

MBTI
    INTP

1.disposed to preserve existing conditions, institutions, etc., or to restore traditional ones, and to limit change.2.cautiously moderate or purposefully low: a conservative estimate. 3.traditional in style or manner; avoiding novelty or showiness: conservative suit. 4.(often initial capital letter) of or pertaining to the Conservative party.5.(initial capital letter) of, pertaining to, or characteristic of Conservative Jews or Conservative Judaism.6.having the power or tendency to conserve; preservative.7.Mathematics. (of a vector or vector function) having curl equal to zero; irrotational; lamellar.–noun 8.a person who is conservative in principles, actions, habits, etc.9.a supporter of conservative political policies.10.(initial capital letter) a member of a conservative political party, esp. the Conservative party in Great Britain.11.a preservative.