User Tag List

View Poll Results: How would you feel in this kind of a environment?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • White : I am Ok with this

13 52.00%
  • White : It would be kind a strange

8 32.00%
  • Non-white : I think I can handle it

3 12.00%
  • Non-white : That would be a waaayyy to awkward

1 4.00%
123 Last

Question How would you feel in this kind of a environment?

I am curious. It looks that most people on this forum are from multi-cultural areas. Where you have a mix of cultures and races (more or less).

But in my country(Croatia) that is not the case.
    Here you can sit in a car and drive around some city for 2 hours and not meet a non-white person. Everybody are white here. You can even drive to another city and do the same thing and again you will encounter only white people. You will encounter childern, grown up people , old people, teenagers of both genders but you will not meet non-white person.

The question is: Would you feel awkward in this situation/environment and would everything look artificial to you?

I have never had a face to face conversation with non-white person.

Plus: Almost everybody are Christians or Agnostic/Atheists

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    The question is: Would you feel awkward in this situation/environment and would everything look artificial to you?
    It would be awkward for me. It would just point out to me that I wasn't home, yet still be somewhat similar... sort of an uncanny valley effect. Probably be stranger for my wife, given that we felt reversed in Korea (which is similar to where you are, in terms of ethnicity mix.)

Vancouver is very multicultural/mixed, for reference.

I have never had a face to face conversation with non-white person.
    Heh, that sounds pretty funny to me, from my perspective. I forget how much of the world is insular at times.

Plus: Almost everybody are Christians or Agnostic/Atheists
    I would find this somewhat strange, given that I have friends across the board... but what I did learn is that the emphasis on religion is much stronger in other places than here. Here, there is a lot more hand waving "believe what you want". But I get that from the states more so than in Asia, so it never came up with I was in Asia.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

whoa...yeah i would. i need diversity in a big way...i have a lot of friends and many of them are nothing alike....and that's just the way i like it.

so...are you asking because you do...or because you think you should but don't?
    are you curious about other cultures?

i will say that i don't define people in such a way though and find there to be tremendous diversity within the same culture....but learning about them is interesting to me.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I wouldn't care. People should be allowed to live where the want to live. Glorifying racial diversity for its own sake is counterproductive.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INXP

I'm white and from a predominately white area...Even here of course there's a small minority of other races. There is a small percentage of black and asian here too. It would be a culture shock but I could get used to it.
    AKA: Choss

It's not theoretically possible

Interesting novel thoughts proliferate

Incessently needing to ponder

I never think practically

It's never too precise

Insane nerds throwing parties

I'm not the problem

I'm not that popular

Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

I'm white and from a predominantly black area. I'd love to take a break sometime and head to an area that is mostly of my own race. It's not the skin color that I don't like, it's the culture. Jeez, you think some of them could at least learn how to form a line.

Quote Originally Posted by erinavery View Post
    so...are you asking because you do...or because you think you should but don't?
    are you curious about other cultures?
    I am not sure that I understand the question but I will try to answer.

I am sorry, but I don't know anything but this.

In what I am interested in is personal opinion.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I wouldn't notice a fucking thing. I only see two different ethnicities where I live, Slavic and Baltic. The only difference in skin tone that I have the ability to see would be a variation between: pale, even more pale and I'm a walking corpse pale.

I would probably freak out if I ended up in culture mixture pot thought.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I have a great mix of race and culture, I believe, where I am. It's predominantly hispanic and white, with not a bad measure of black people either. Asians are also settled here, and we even have sections of my city where there's chinese or korean written along side the english street names.

I don't know if I would mind being in an all-white area.. but I definitely enjoy the diversity that has manifested itself in my city.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I am not sure that I understand the question but I will try to answer.

I am sorry, but I don't know anything but this.

In what I am interested in is personal opinion.
    i'm sorry it wasn't clear...i meant are you asking because you do think that it's weird or uncomfortable living in such an environment or that you think you ought to feel that way but don't or is it just something you are aware of and wondered what others would feel if in the same position...which is what i gather your answer to be...is that right?

i guess i was just curious as to why you were curious about it.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison