User Tag List

View Poll Results: How would you feel in this kind of a environment?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • White : I am Ok with this

13 52.00%
  • White : It would be kind a strange

8 32.00%
  • Non-white : I think I can handle it

3 12.00%
  • Non-white : That would be a waaayyy to awkward

1 4.00%
First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Where I was a kid everybody was of Scandinavian descent. I never met a person of color, except a few Hispanic migrant worker's kids, until I was in my twenties. Fort Lewis WA, working for the Army.

I was certain that I wouldn't be accepted and I was surprised when no one seemed to notice I was White!

I am comfortable with a wide mix of people and the only social environments I'm uncomfortable in are with people of any color who are emotionally unhealthy.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INTP

I wouldn't feel weird if I only interacted with white people on most days, but going my entire life without having conversed with a non-white person? Yeah, that seems really strange to me. Also, there would be a depressing lack of variety of hot chicks.

MBTI
    ENTP

ive lived mostly in very diverse areas, still do, but one does not need to get far from the cities in germany for the population to get more homogenous.

nothing artificial about migration history. Tanning salons are artificial.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Darjur View Post
    I wouldn't notice a fucking thing. I only see two different ethnicities where I live, Slavic and Baltic. The only difference in skin tone that I have the ability to see would be a variation between: pale, even more pale and I'm a walking corpse pale.

This is because you and I are from the same part of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by erinavery View Post
    i'm sorry it wasn't clear...i meant are you asking because you do think that it's weird or uncomfortable living in such an environment or that you think you ought to feel that way but don't or is it just something you are aware of and wondered what others would feel if in the same position...which is what i gather your answer to be...is that right?

i guess i was just curious as to why you were curious about it.
    I was asking how others on this forum would handle coming in my environment. Since I know that it is extreme by their standards.

As I said : Why would it be uncomfortable ? I don't know for anything else.

MBTI
    infp

It would probably be kind of weird for like two seconds, cause I have rarely if ever experienced that, and certainly not on a day-to-day basis (I'm from Canada, so there are lots of "non-white" people). I probably wouldn't care once the initial "this is Vanilla City!" thought passed, because if you are used to seeing people of different ethnicities and cultures, you don't really pay attention to differences and similarities much. For example, for someone who has never seen an asian person, an asian person would stand out in a crowd for sure, but for someone who sees all kinds of people everyday, no one really stands out and it does not occur to you that someone is asian or black or whatever as you speak to them.

MBTI
    ISTP

Well, the area I live in is probably 80% White, 10% Asian, and 10% other, so it wouldn't be a huge change for me....

Even so, I've spent lengths of time in more diverse areas, and after about a week, you get used to it.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    ISTP

I'd be okay with it. Probably because I'm white in a mostly white area. However, I spend quite a bit of my time in nearby areas that while are still probably at least 40-50% white, have people of lots of other races/cultures. I might feel a bit out of place if I was one of the few white people in a largely non-white area (or non-white people in a white area), but thatís because Iím accustomed to environments where I donít stick out for that reason. For a little while.

MBTI
    INxJ

I prefer a mix of people, but I have no issues spending time in a mono-ethnic area. It's a factor I don't consider much outside of personal relationships.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I grew up going to school with about 70% black and hispanic people, and I enjoyed it. There are certain aspects of personality that have tendencies within differences ethnicities. For instance, I always thought the black kids especially were very funny and I really liked their sense of humor. Not that they were all the same in that regard.

Then after the 5th grade I moved to an all white area. And I certainly thought something lacking in that environment.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I like a mixed environment.