User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which society would you choose? (read the post)

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Society A

15 88.24%
  • Society B

2 11.76%
First 12

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

People go on about the ills of society, but in the West we've generally reached a point where the vast majority of people, only interested in learning just enough to eke out a reasonably comfortable living and raise a family, can do so, people interested in attaining more can also do so, and, as incompetent members of formally powerful families destroy their respective families' name and piss away its wealth and influence in no time flat, we don't end up with an entrenched but incompetent elite.

And yes, general public education is indeed tailored to meet the needs of the many rather than the exceptional few, but there are numerous institutions and practices in place even for these few. (The ability to skip grades, schools for the gifted, etc.)

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    And yes, general public education is indeed tailored to meet the needs of the many rather than the exceptional few, but there are numerous institutions and practices in place even for these few. (The ability to skip grades, schools for the gifted, etc.)
    I went to an early college program. I have friends that went to other ones as well. So, I had the opportunity to see what more than one program was like. None were that exceptional, aside from Simon's Rock. Most of those establishments were created at universities that needed more prestige. As a result, peers and classes were standard. It wasn't any more challenging than high school. Only major difference is living in a dorm, essentially independent, and earning 2 years of college credit.

If the programs were created at top 15 Universities, than there would be an obvious upgrade in the quality of education. As of now, it's still an even playing field no matter how much of a head start someone may get in a gifted program.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    I went to an early college program. I have friends that went to other ones as well. So, I had the opportunity to see what more than one program was like. None were that exceptional, aside from Simon's Rock. Most of those establishments were created at universities that needed more prestige. As a result, peers and classes were standard. It wasn't any more challenging than high school. Only major difference is living in a dorm, essentially independent, and earning 2 years of college credit.

If the programs were created at top 15 Universities, than there would be an obvious upgrade in the quality of education. As of now, it's still an even playing field no matter how much of a head start someone may get in a gifted program.
    Don't underestimate how much of an advantage that two years has given you. (Not to mention the head-start on learning to fend for yourself.)

Also, don't forget that for a few bona fide super-geniuses, entering a top-tier university at an age when their peers would still be in high school or even junior high school is neither impossible nor unheard of.