User Tag List

First 12

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Putin View Post
    Don't be surprised when you see an inflation rate of 20 percent by 2010-2011. For some it seems highly unlikely.. but the threat is real. I've been saying this for a while and so far a lot of my predictions have come true. It's not gonna be pretty.
    Why?

MBTI
    ENTJ

Please specify. Why what?
    Whoever does not miss the Soviet Union has no heart. Whoever wants it back has no brain.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I wouldn't trust anything from Citigroup anymore.
    Come now. You can trust a technical analyst on matters of monetary inflation!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Come now. You can trust a technical analyst on matters of monetary inflation!
    Generally speaking, yes. From a company that almost went bankrupt in the nearest past? Personally, no. Even more strongly: I do not believe in macroeconomics, macroeconomists' predictions have always been very nebulous, and rarely true. Macro mixed up with conspiracy theories is probably worse than astrology.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Generally speaking, yes. From a company that almost went bankrupt in the nearest past? Personally, no.
    ... I was being utterly sarcastic.

Inflation is possible, even likely (>51%), but since he didn't quantify it, meh. Given that gold tripled in price without inflation, I'd say that his call is... dubious to be interpreted as inflation, nor would I consider him an expert in monetary issues at all. On top of that, I don't believe in his methods, assuming he still is a technical analyst, on commodities and just see this as a shot in the dark. When prices triple without a fundamental change in the nature of it - like gold has - we normally call it a bubble.

edit: Didn't catch your edit. I agree with you entirely, fwiw.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    ... I was being utterly sarcastic.

Inflation is possible, even likely (>51%), but since he didn't quantify it, meh. Given that gold tripled in price without inflation, I'd say that his call is... dubious to be interpreted as inflation, nor would I consider him an expert in monetary issues at all. On top of that, I don't believe in his methods, assuming he still is a technical analyst, on commodities and just see this as a shot in the dark. When prices triple without a fundamental change in the nature of it - like gold has - we normally call it a bubble.

edit: Didn't catch your edit. I agree with you entirely, fwiw.
    Aahah, sorry if I didn't catch the sarcasm, it's harder online; yeah I agree with that
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTP

Given the rate at which central banks have been pumping money into the the world system, one would think inflation would be a serious problem a few years down the road. That will drive down the dollar to fresh lows. Gold has recently had a 90% negative correlation with the dollar. Gold should do well in the not too distant future. We typcially get long drawn out bottoms and quick violent tops in the gold market. We could see many months of consolidation before the next breakout. In the meantime, range bound option strategies--butterflies and what not--should yield good results.