User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Default Is there a correlation between type and military enlistment?

I'd be interested in any research or theories that have been suggested on the subject of type and military enlistment. I wonder if there's any data at all that shows if there's one type in particular that is more prone to joining the military.

If there really isn't any research that you guys know of, what's your personal opinion? Do you think type has anything to do with joining the military? Or is it more environmental, socioeconomic, etc.?

I'll keep my thoughts to myself until I see what you guys have to say. Please no military-bashing.

MBTI
    INTJ

From what I've read it's not that a type joins the military, but the military is best suited to a type, or can mold a certain type / type behaviours; xSTJ.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I have no research to substantiate this, but I've heard that ISTJ is the model soldier. Is that correct?

As far as other factors go, I would say that those most likely to join are those who come from military families, those who can't pay for college otherwise, and those who drop out of high school and are unable to find employment elsewhere.
    Last edited by Athenian200; 07-19-2007 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Adding a small detail

MBTI
    ISTP

According to "A comparative study between Navy Junior ROTC cadets and general population students on measures of dogmatism, personality type, and self-esteem", the answer is no. MBTI type has no particular effect on Navy enlistment.

However, there is a clear preference for type within ranks. Enlistment isn't significantly different, far as I know.

(There may be a difference for the Army, as the army, from what I understand, has different requirements and pools of contributants. I'd only expect a slight bias towards Ss, if anything.)

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Natrushka View Post
    From what I've read it's not that a type joins the military, but the military is best suited to a type, or can mold a certain type / type behaviours; xSTJ.
    Hm, definitely makes sense. I agree with that. More often than not their molding is unsuccessful when it comes down to each individual's core type, but I definitely agree with your statement.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I have no research to substantiate this, but I've heard that ISTJ is the model soldier. Is that correct?

As far as other factors go, I would say that those most likely to join are those who come from military families, those who can't pay for college otherwise, and those who drop out of high school and are unable to find employment elsewhere.
    Do any of the branches accept recruitment of individuals without at least a GED? I thought it was a requirement.

After reading the description of an ISTJ, that would definitely fit the model soldier. I'd be willing to bet that a good number of high-ranking men and women in the military are ISTJs. Or, at the very least, they're good at portraying that type.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

The servicemen I know well enough to think of right off the top of my head, as well as attempt an identification of type, run part of the temperamental gamut, though a pattern is clear.

Three ISTPs, one a retired Marine, one somewhere or other in the Army, and the third a (onetime) tank commander.

One likely INTJ, an Air Force pilot.

An ESTP, a feisty little blonde, in the Marines.

An ESFJ, gone to the Army after a few years of trying her hand as a schoolteacher.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Cindyrella View Post
    Do any of the branches accept recruitment of individuals without at least a GED? I thought it was a requirement.

After reading the description of an ISTJ, that would definitely fit the model soldier. I'd be willing to bet that a good number of high-ranking men and women in the military are ISTJs. Or, at the very least, they're good at portraying that type.
    You'd be correct. STJs are over-represented. However, NTJs are even more overrepresented, by population, the higher up you go in rank.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I think this is a case of temperament and what different types enjoy:

Reasons why types join the Military:

SP enjoys being part of the action.

SJ wishes to defend their country and their way of life.

NF is perhaps working toward a personal ideal.

NT wants to take over the world (well, they have a vision for the future).

I think that with the exception of SP, Military gravitates toward T and J types. Of course, any NF or NT might enlist to get into discount higher education.

The higher-ups would probably be NJs and SJs, but the NJ probably has a goal of his/her own while the SJ enjoys or feels obliged to a position of responsibility.

MBTI
    INFP

Interesting stuff. Uberfuhrer - my SO is an ENFJ, and I completely agree with your assessment. In fact, I think regardless of his enlistment in the Marine Corps, he is (and always will be) working towards a personal ideal.

I'll have to test my dad. I already tested most of the people at work (I am a civilian employee working with Marines) but I don't have their types on hand right now. Almost all of them were fitting of their respective types. None of them ended up being the same type as one another. The guy I get along with the most is an INTP (I'm an INFP), which I also found pretty interesting.