User Tag List

First 123

MBTI
    INTJ

I forgot, being a female officer in a nearly all-male military probably enhanced my traits...not necessarily a good thing but being Intuitive has sure helped in the civilian world. I've been pretty successful so far but then again, I work in the defense industry where many senior personnel are retired military.

I think Type Talk also says, "For a female INTJ, it's lonely at the top." I couldn't agree any more.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    What do you think?
    You probably know better than me The only knowledge I have is from the personality studies done in the military, along with a couple of training handbooks the US military has.

From what I can tell, your right-left view pretty much translates literally, using non-MBTI personality types. Roughly translated to Army being more S prone (culturally and individually) and the Air Force being more N prone. I don't know about the other factors, except that high (and low) reactiveness is more important in certain positions within each branch. I know that the army prefers low-reactive for grunt positions (it decreases the shell-shocking and stress reactions in long term encounters) and replaces it with deeply ingrained behavioural responses to stress conditions (to decrease reaction times)... But that doesn't mean much within MBTI.

Hmm, that's about all I can filter through my mind. I haven't spent a great deal of time looking at personalities in the military - the time I did spend was on behaviour modification.

MBTI
    INTJ

Thanks.

I need behavior modification to stop being overly independent, arrogant and mean.

So they say.

MBTI
    INFP

Alex, I would agree with your assessment of Marines vs. Air Force. I'd say the typical Airman would be an NT type, whereas a Marine would more likely be an S...

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Cindyrella View Post
    I'd be interested in any research or theories that have been suggested on the subject of type and military enlistment. I wonder if there's any data at all that shows if there's one type in particular that is more prone to joining the military.

If there really isn't any research that you guys know of, what's your personal opinion? Do you think type has anything to do with joining the military? Or is it more environmental, socioeconomic, etc.?

I'll keep my thoughts to myself until I see what you guys have to say. Please no military-bashing.
    Carson mcCullers wrote Reflections in a Golden Eye. That book is beyond a doubt the best description of a military establishment and the types there.

The book was also made a film. Marlon Brando and Elizabeth Taylor were the protagonists.
    Marlon Brando was very good. It was the only ISTJ type description he performed in his life.
    He did protagonate the archetype of the ISTJ.
    A closet homosexual, as many of them are. Boring and bored.
    The adoration of physical stamina, muscles, masculinity, vigor, virility, all that goes with the stuff, you know.
    His wife (E.T.) epitomed the picture of the army wife. She had an affair with a Colonel, an ENTJ. A Colonel surely to become a general.

One of the personages in the book was a Captain. He was to remain a Captain, that was very evident. Why? He was an INFP. And he was found out to listen to classical music.

The ENTJ Colonel had a wife, another INFP. She left her husband and started a new life with a Filippine servant. Maybe the Colonel did not make it to be a General after all.

Nowadays many women enroll in the army. A good proportion of them are ISTJ homosexuals.
    I did not assess these things positively or negatively.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    You probably know better than me The only knowledge I have is from the personality studies done in the military, along with a couple of training handbooks the US military has.

From what I can tell, your right-left view pretty much translates literally, using non-MBTI personality types. Roughly translated to Army being more S prone (culturally and individually) and the Air Force being more N prone. I don't know about the other factors, except that high (and low) reactiveness is more important in certain positions within each branch. I know that the army prefers low-reactive for grunt positions (it decreases the shell-shocking and stress reactions in long term encounters) and replaces it with deeply ingrained behavioural responses to stress conditions (to decrease reaction times)... But that doesn't mean much within MBTI.

Hmm, that's about all I can filter through my mind. I haven't spent a great deal of time looking at personalities in the military - the time I did spend was on behaviour modification.
    This is the brainwashed military brat coming out in me, but I place importance (even if it is petty) in distinguishing between the Army (capital A), Marines, Air Force, and Navy. The Army pretty much has the monopoly on the term "soldier." With the Marine Corps you can refer to them as anything ranging from simply "Marine" to "leatherneck" to "jarhead," but don't call them soldiers! Navy folk are Sailors and in the Air Force they're Airmen.

I sincerely apologize for my silliness, but it's just this whole semantics thing that I've had drilled into my head.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Cindyrella View Post
    I sincerely apologize for my silliness, but it's just this whole semantics thing that I've had drilled into my head.
    I appreciate that... but... could you highlight where I used the wrong word? I'm very deliberate in my word choice, or try to be, so please correct where I went wrong... I couldn't find it

MBTI
    INFP

I think every time I see a lowercase A in reference to the US Army I react that way. Hmmmm. I don't know, LOL.

MBTI
    INTJ

Semantics...yep, Cindyrella, I'd say semantics mean the world when it comes to name-calling in the US military. pt's in Canada, though, so I can understand why and how others would not be included in the "pride of the military" lingo.

pt: It's just a commonality, that when referring to the Army, Marines, Air Force, Navy, that when preceded by "US," the following branch is capitalized to further the country's possessive adjective.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    pt: It's just a commonality, that when referring to the Army, Marines, Air Force, Navy, that when preceded by "US," the following branch is capitalized to further the country's possessive adjective.
    Ah, I see it now. I have no idea why I do it the first time then not the second