User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Here are some trends that we can run off of here:

Old people tend to be more conservative.
    Children tend to be more liberal than their parents.

Fill in the blanks.

Sniffles

McCain had about 40% support from youth in many areas.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Not from the 50,000 ft perspective.
    Correct. But if McCain won, I'm sure you could see the nukes go off from 50,000 feet up..

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    McCain had about 40% support from youth in many areas.
    Yea, less than middle-age and older people.

Inferences can be drawn from this.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Didums View Post
    Yea, less than middle-age and older people.

Inferences can be drawn from this.
    Not as many as you think; the 18-30 demographic has usually been more "liberal" (God, I hate how that word has been bastardized) than the older demographics. Despite this, the younger generation of today is typically more "conservative" on economic issues than were their parents at the same age. Social issues are more complicated (if I remember correctly, conservatism in terms of gay marriage and drug legalization has declined, while young people tend to be more conservative about abortion and affirmative action than were their parents). Bottom line, I wouldn't get your hopes up, generational attitudes are unpredictable.
    Last edited by lowtech redneck; 11-30-2008 at 09:16 PM. Reason: clarification

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by G-Virus View Post
    Remember, this is not a thread about religions and which one is better, that will just turn bitter, this is about a logical fallacy in the belief system and submitting to the separation of Church and State.
    The way you present the concept of divine law can only originate from a Sunni mind, thus I find your remark highly paradoxical.

For instance, for a Shia scholar, divine law should never be fully implemented on earth, because the realms of the Divine (esoteric) and men (exoteric) are inherently separate. While for a Sunni (like the one you probably are), the Quran is the direct, perfect, impassable voice of God.

So the way you present this debate is metaphysically flawed, whether you are aware of it or not.
    Last edited by Blackmail!; 12-02-2008 at 02:29 AM.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    The way you present the concept of divine law can only originate from a Sunni mind, thus I find your remark highly paradoxical.

For instance, for a Shia scholar, divine law should never be fully implemented on earth, because the realms of the Divine (esoteric) and men (exoteric) are inherently separate. While for a Sunni (like the one you probably are), the Quran is the direct, perfect, impassable voice of God.

So the way you present this debate is metaphysically flawed, whether you are aware of it of not.

Hmm... interesting point. Do other religions not believe that the law of god is the supreme law?

What is the point to having godly ordained laws if they aren't implementable.
    Seek freedom and become captive of your desires, seek discipline and find your liberty.

"If you go looking for something in particular, your chances of finding it are very bad, because of all the things in the world, you're only looking for one of them. If you go looking for anything at all, your chances of finding it are very good, because of all the things in the world, you're sure to find some of them."

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by G-Virus View Post
    Hmm... interesting point. Do other religions not believe that the law of god is the supreme law?

What is the point to having godly ordained laws if they aren't implementable.
    Read my previous post again. How the hell did you think liberal democracy could be instituted or sustained in countries with religiously observant populations if everyone viewed this issue the way most religiously observant Sunni Muslims do?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Read my previous post again. How the hell did you think liberal democracy could be instituted or sustained in countries with religiously observant populations if everyone viewed this issue the way most religiously observant Sunni Muslims do?
    I think they had to deal with it. The total control the Church had on the domain of life in the middle ages was no longer accepted by the current society, thus they had to change their doctrine and deal with it.
    Seek freedom and become captive of your desires, seek discipline and find your liberty.

"If you go looking for something in particular, your chances of finding it are very bad, because of all the things in the world, you're only looking for one of them. If you go looking for anything at all, your chances of finding it are very good, because of all the things in the world, you're sure to find some of them."

MBTI
    istp

historically speaking, this was to protect religious beliefs from government control and persecution, but in modern times people have become so paranoid that they believe religion has grown past an elective practice to such an extent that it threatens the government. however, it remains just one of many potential biases that politicians may or may not act on, if the purpose of the law was to keep personal beliefs out of the government then it would need a far greater scope.

as for the conflict between "God's code" and "man's code", as far as I understand (at least for Christianity) the commandment is to follow man's laws as long as they do not conflict with God's law. there is actually a lot of solid societal logic behind both government-mandated law and Biblical commandments (which, if anything, makes me suspect they are man-made), so there is not as much disagreement as one might think.