User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    xNTJ

YAY! As it should be. Now if they'd just legalize marriage, that would be perfect.
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

MBTI
    IXFP

Quote Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
    YAY! As it should be. Now if they'd just legalize marriage, that would be perfect.
    We had a chance for that here in Southern California and blew it big time.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr Seuss

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

A Miami judge ruled Tuesday that there is no rational, scientific or moral reason that sexual orientation should be a barrier to adopting children
    What a crazy concept :rolli:

It's disappointing this is even an issue, glad common sense won the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    That part made me laugh (in a sad way) when I read it.

Let's see: Gay people who live in a culture where they're treated as second-class citizens, prevented from marrying and adopting kids, sometimes losing jobs because of their sexual preference, and treated as morally inferior by judgmental hets because they're gay... and it's a surprise that they could suffer more depression, affective and anxiety disorders, be more tempted to do drugs or drink heavily, and have unstable relationships?

In some ways, this is rather like telling an abused woman she'd be a horrible wife because she flinches whenever a man looks at her and otherwise has a tendency to avoid intimacy.
    Make no mistake, I'm in favor of this ruling. But I don't see how blame impacts the effects of these conditions. If it's a fact that gay people suffer these conditions more often than straight people, then whose fault it is doesn't really ameliorate the impact of these conditions on any children in the household. In other words, if an abused woman avoids intimacy, the fact that her abusive husband is to blame doesn't make her condition less serious.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Make no mistake, I'm in favor of this ruling. But I don't see how blame impacts the effects of these conditions. If it's a fact that gay people suffer these conditions more often than straight people, then whose fault it is doesn't really ameliorate the impact of these conditions on any children in the household. In other words, if an abused woman avoids intimacy, the fact that her abusive husband is to blame doesn't make her condition less serious.

That is true, but we are talking about individuals and couples having the right to adopt. This ruling doesn't declare that EVERY gay person or couple is fit to adopt a child. That is obviously not true. It merely states that being gay does not, in and of itself, disqualify anyone. The welfare of the child is paramount, so (hopefully) alcoholics, meth addicts, and the like aren't being given children left and right. Of course, we are talking about Florida here, so who knows?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    That is true, but we are talking about individuals and couples having the right to adopt. This ruling doesn't declare that EVERY gay person or couple is fit to adopt a child. That is obviously not true. It merely states that being gay does not, in and of itself, disqualify anyone. The welfare of the child is paramount, so (hopefully) alcoholics, meth addicts, and the like aren't being given children left and right.
    Yup. I agree with FMW's concerns, but your assess is how I would have responded as well.

Using "gay" as a criteria to deny adoptive parents should be out; rejection of parenthood should be based on the specific factors (addiction, abuse, whatever else) that would make the home unsuitable whether the parents were straight OR gay.

I know straight people who would be good parents; I know straights who would be lousy parents. And the same goes for gay people.

... and yes, it's Florida, so who knows? *shudder*
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    Finally, rationality!
    I'm not at all certain that, say, 300 years of jurisprudence in Florida was irrational and it was only this week that some judge saw the light.

The paradigm changed. When that happens, it always takes a while for the law to catch up.

MBTI
    XNTJ

Default `

Yeah, I don't think gays should be allowed to adopt because if I was ever in a
    situation where I could put my kid up for adoption the last thing I would want
    for that child would to have them be called demeaning names at school becau
    se the school I went to was so intested with bullying such as verbal things, cl
    iques and gossip or exclusion that I would not want to set a kid up to be expo
    sed to that and have them hate me for not being able to take care of them or
    something. Its not that I don't think gays are trustworthy with kids because
    there are some that have good morals and were brought up in good homes an
    d some actually do a pretty good job about being discreet and all that but its
    the other people I wouldn't trust to treat a kid right if I gave one up.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by sunset5678 View Post
    Yeah, I don't think gays should be allowed to adopt because if I was ever in a
    situation where I could put my kid up for adoption the last thing I would want
    for that child would to have them be called demeaning names at school becau
    se the school I went to was so intested with bullying such as verbal things, cl
    iques and gossip or exclusion that I would not want to set a kid up to be expo
    sed to that and have them hate me for not being able to take care of them or
    something. Its not that I don't think gays are trustworthy with kids because
    there are some that have good morals and were brought up in good homes an
    d some actually do a pretty good job about being discreet and all that but its
    the other people I wouldn't trust to treat a kid right if I gave one up.
    To be honest, I think it's better to have a kid in a household, period, rather than worrying about what the kids at school think.
    "Can you set me free from this dark inner world? Save me now, last beats in the soul.."

Fonewearl and proud of it!

I (85%) - N (80%) - F (35%) - P (90%)
    O: 94% C: 18% E: 21% A: 94% N: 38%
    9w1 (SP, SX, SO)
    (9, 5, 4)
    RCUAI (Primary Calm)

MBTI
    INTx
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
    I'm of the opinion that the government should not legalize gay marriage. That said, I also think that the government shouldn't recognize straight marriage. If the government wants to grant tax breaks for couples, regardless of sexual orientation, then be my guest. Marriage is a religious institution and as such the government should have nothing to do with it.
    I - 67%
    N - 62%
    T - 75%
    J - 1%