User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

Default Politics questionnaire (specific to Americans, but anyone can weigh in)

Where do you personally stand on the following? All the topics were left purposefully vague for you to feel comfortable on elaborating your own personal opinion with as much detail as you like, and whether you would apply it to yourself only or to others also.

1. The 2nd amendment.
    2. Gay marriage
    3. Abortion
    4. Alcohol, tobacco and other drugs
    5. Foreign policy
    6. The war on terror
    7. The War in Iraq
    8. Corporate tax cuts
    9. The financial market bailout
    10. Middle class tax cuts
    11. Social Security benefits
    12. Public health benifits like a two tier system or other ideas
    13. Welfare Benefits
    14. Funding for higher education
    15. Funding for K-12 education
    16. Programs for children like public pre-K and Head-Start.
    17. Energy, from solar cells, drill baby drill, to nuclear plants, etc . . .
    18. Any other topic you would like to chime in about that better clarifies your own personal/political stance.
    Seek freedom and become captive of your desires, seek discipline and find your liberty.

"If you go looking for something in particular, your chances of finding it are very bad, because of all the things in the world, you're only looking for one of them. If you go looking for anything at all, your chances of finding it are very good, because of all the things in the world, you're sure to find some of them."

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

Feel free to answer only one or two that you feel strongly about, if you so choose, because the whole thing might be a bit too long.
    Seek freedom and become captive of your desires, seek discipline and find your liberty.

"If you go looking for something in particular, your chances of finding it are very bad, because of all the things in the world, you're only looking for one of them. If you go looking for anything at all, your chances of finding it are very good, because of all the things in the world, you're sure to find some of them."

MBTI
    ENFP

The 2nd amendment.: Hands off my guns. This was made to keep a well-armed militia in the country but it also was supposed to be used just in case government got too restrictive. If you take away your civilian armory you take away your citizens only real leverage against the government. If the government has guns the government can rape you with guns. If you have guns then they're less liekly to do that. Revolution is something the founding fathers kept in mind

Gay marriage: Totally support it but they're doing it wrong. Every time the question of homosexual rights has been brought up before an electorate: Homosexuals lose. They shuold realize by now this isn't working, and try other ways, for example, court cases or something.

Abortion: not touching this with a 10 foot pole, it's a load of horseshit either way

Alcohol, tobacco and other drugs: Legalize them, all of them, no restrictions whatsooever. If they are used as a weapon charge the user with assault but the government has no right to dictate what goes in or out of a civilians body.

Foreign policy: National Security does not include "spread democracy" in its definition. If you're attacked, kill it with fire and be ruthless. Don't go after economic interests, capitalism only works if the government doesn't get involved. Otherwise you get crazy examples like the British Tea Company attacking India. What was that about?

The war on terror: Kill terrorists, don't worry about the countries that spawn them. In IRan's case, just make sure they realize that you COULD fuck their shit up hardcore and hope that makes them go away

The War in Iraq: This is why we can't have nice things.

Corporate tax cuts: Everyone should be blanket taxed equally. Income tax is stupid. Citizens should be taxed no differently from civilians, this stifles free trade if you compensate.

The financial market bailout: Way to cause a depression and waste several trillion dollars in American taxpayer money. Banks buy up other banks, once again, government interference witht he free market destroys the free market.

Middle class tax cuts: taxt hem teh same as everyone else, rich and poor.

Social Security benefits: Social Security is a flawed system from the get go. Privatize social security and make it optional

Public health benifits like a two tier system or other ideas: Hospital clubs would be better.... I want an opt out available.

Welfare Benefits: No.

Funding for higher education: Military only (thanks!)

Funding for K-12 education: Not touching this one with a 15 foot pole

Programs for children like public pre-K and Head-Start.: None of that nonsense... private sector.

Energy, from solar cells, drill baby drill, to nuclear plants, etc: Private. Sector.

Any other topic you would like to chime in about that better clarifies your own personal/political stance: Justice needs to remove the blindfold and instead get a spoon to gouge out her eyes.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

The survey trend continues!

[*]Any other topic you would like to chime in about that better clarifies your own personal/political stance.
    I'm one of those annoying people you find mostly on the internet who believe that our federal government (the one headquartered in Washington D.C.) should have less "power" and jurisdiction than it does now, and generally be less active in all spheres. This will make the following answers more clear, and probably predictably boring.
    [*]The 2nd amendment. Support it strongly.
    [*]Gay marriage I've thought a lot about this issue. In the ethical sense, I think any two people who want to should be allowed to marry each other. In the legal sense, I think such a personal union should hold equal status (and all its effects) regardless of gender. In the financial sense, I don't think there should be any preference for or against union, lack of union, or gender of people holding the union.

Ideally, that's how I think it should be. For now, I think each state should be allowed to set their own laws.
    [*]Abortion Let each state set their own laws. I have no real opinion on this--I couldn't even fathom what it would be like to make the choice, so I defer to women on this issue.
    [*]Alcohol, tobacco and other drugs Let each state set their own laws. I'm personally against laws pertaining to these drugs.
    [*]Foreign policy I think this is the real main purpose of our federal government. The bulk of D.C.'s work should be related to foreign policy.

I think it's smart to keep good relations by using good diplomacy. I don't think we should get involved in matters that don't affect us, except to offer an unbiased discussion forum, if it's wanted. I don't think we should contribute to "international peacekeeping forces", and I don't think we should have U.S. forces in countries besides our own, unless we are at war with that country, or are allied with that country in a war against a common enemy. In other words, U.S. forces should be primarily used for defending these 50 states.

At the moment, I hold the view that alliances should not exist unless in a state of war. This, along with what I said about restricting the higher levels of government, means that I think U.S. participation in things like the U.N. should be minimized. It also means I support the Unilateral approach, though our government has made wrong decisions about what to do unilaterally.
    [*]The war on terror I think, right away, the federal government should have let pilots carry weapons while flying (leaving the decision to each airline company). The 2nd Amendment should take care of the rest at home, and the changes I suggested to foreign policy should take care of the rest abroad. Particularly, I think direct talks and negotiations with Arab governments where many anti-U.S. terrorists come from would have been worth trying.

Only a small elite force should have hunted for Al-Qaeda groups and leaders in Afghanistan. This would've had the best chance of succeeding, I think, but it is probably too late for any real success to come from that situation now. And...that's pretty much it. I think our military should upgrade and modernize whatever materials/systems need it, in fact it should be high priority.

George Bush mentioned Iran, Iraq, Syria, North Korea, (et al?) after the terrorist attack. This was pointless, except perhaps for Syria, and then still publically proclaiming it doesn't seem prudent.
    [*]The War in Iraq This one's fuzzy. Hindsight tells us that invading Iraq was a wrong move, but I'm not sure what would be best from this point forward, how to get out of our present dilemma. I leave that to others to decide, though I try to stay alert about it. So this is an important issue to me, but I'm still not clear as to where I stand. I think I'm willing to consider all proposals.
    [*]Corporate tax cuts Support it.
    [*]The financial market bailout Against it.
    [*]Middle class tax cuts Support it.
    [*]Social Security benefits Against it.
    [*]Public health benefits like a two tier system or other ideas Against the federal government doing any such thing. Let each state set its own system, though personally I think these should be limited (still inconclusive about that).
    [*]Welfare Benefits Let each state set their own system. (I don't know whether they already do...) I'm personally against it, but not strongly.
    [*]Funding for higher education Against it. I think what we need is better K-12 education.
    [*]Funding for K-12 education Let each state set their own system. As a side note, I don't think education should be mandatory.
    [*]Energy, from solar cells, drill baby drill, to nuclear plants, etc . . . I think these really are great pursuits, but I don't think we need much government involvement or funding in them.
    [*] Taxes vs. Spending To avoid debt, taxes and spending should always be approximately equal. When you raise/cut one but not the other, you have to realize there will be an imbalance. For example, one solution to our huge debt would be to raise taxes until it matches that huge spending that causes the debt. I would at least respect someone who proposed this, since it makes logical sense.

I personally support low taxes and low spending.

Edit: Nillerz, good point. Equal tax rates are the best tax "distributions".
    Last edited by Cimarron; 11-27-2008 at 12:18 PM. Reason: taxes vs. spending, unilateral policy, missing a word
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

[*]The 2nd amendment.- not big on assult weapons (too many problems with them around where I live now) but hunting and such are quite fine- I like rabbit and venison!

[*]Gay marriage- go for it man, I don't give a f- about who gets married

[*]Abortion- hell yes! it's the right of the person who can GET knocked up to decide what to do about it! There's too many people anyways.

[*]Alcohol, tobacco and other drugs- if a person wants to kill themselves, let them. (I work in alcohol sales )

[*]Foreign policy- help, don't hurt. and Unilateral sucks.

[*]The war on terror- is a quagmire- there's no winning it the way we're going about it. it's a waste of money

[*]The War in Iraq- pointless deaths. Sadaam wasn't behind 9-11.

[*]Corporate tax cuts- also a shitty idea- give the tax cuts to the lower classes who will spend the money and get the economy going again.

[*]The financial market bailout- no strings attached?! has congress gone even crazier?!?

[*]Middle class tax cuts- ok, as long as working class gets cuts as well

[*]Social Security benefits- should be a right, not a privlidge

[*]Public health benifits like a two tier system or other ideas- yes, yes, yes!!! and please bring in preventative health care as well!

[*]Welfare Benefits- without them, the crime rate would be higher

[*]Funding for higher education- YES! if you want educated people in the country anyways (and I do!)

[*]Funding for K-12 education- more is needed

[*]Programs for children like public pre-K and Head-Start.- necissary and more funding needed

[*]Energy, from solar cells, drill baby drill, to nuclear plants, etc . . .- more effort put into efficiency and alternative fuels- I don't want to suffer catastrophic climate change!

[*]Any other topic you would like to chime in about that better clarifies your own personal/political stance.- just a typical, working class, educated American Liberal really

**NOT replying to responses to this- especially if piece by piece!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTP

1. The 2nd amendment.
      Is now rather pointless, given what weaponry the military now affords
    2. Gay marriage
      Yes
    3. Abortion
      Yes
    4. Alcohol, tobacco and other drugs
      Yes
    5. Foreign policy
      There is no best country, and every society has flaws, but we all have to share this planet
    6. The war on terror
      Is as hilarious an idea as it is sad in execution
    7. The War in Iraq
      SHould be refunded by bush and all of his cronies
    8. Corporate tax cuts
      Eliminate or risk all the gun nuts freaking out and another revolution starting
    9. The financial market bailout
      Rome fell, and now washington is falling
    10. Middle class tax cuts
      Are probably too high, because hte masses of people are stupid not to buy crap from china on credit.
    11. Social Security benefits
      will possibly bankrupt what the banks are not already stealing
    12. Public health benifits like a two tier system or other ideas
      healthcare should be a right, not a luxury
    13. Welfare Benefits
      Nobody should be surprised when crime goes up should these be taken away. The system does not do much to get people out, but letting people go hungry brings predictable consequences.
    14. Funding for higher education
      Education for for academic qualification, not financial
    15. Funding for K-12 education
      should not be dependent on how mathematically illiterate lotto players are
    16. Programs for children like public pre-K and Head-Start.
      all of this started since i moved away
    17. Energy, from solar cells, drill baby drill, to nuclear plants, etc . . .
      Might be a day late and a dollar short. Renewable and high efficiency should be the future. The US should also change to 230v 50hz. European power standards make a lot more sense and are safer.
    18. Any other topic you would like to chime in about that better clarifies your own personal/political stance.
      Religion should be outlawed, since there is no god. At the very lest, tax any church taht goes anywhere near public policy.
      Corn syrup in everythign from bread to hot dogs is probably helping everyone get so fat and diabetic.

Sniffles

The 2nd amendment.
    Support. An armed citiznery is a must for any free society.

Gay marriage
    Against.

Abortion
    Against.

Alcohol, tobacco and other drugs
    Wherever the Catholic sun doth shine,
    Theres always laughter and good red wine.
    At least Ive always found it so.
    Benedicamus Domino!
    -Hilaire Belloc

Concerning drugs, I'm still debating that. I would be in favor of decriminalization - but legalization is another story.

Foreign policy
    American troops have no business operating outside the Western hemisphere. Outside of that, American invovlement in the world should be more indirect.

And another thing, not everybody who disagrees with America is a raving madman bent on world domination. Seriously this cliche must go; it hasn't changed one damn bit since World War I when we were urged to stop the Kaiser from conquering the world. Oh yeah let's not forget all those stories about Belgian babies being thrown upon German banoyets.

If there has been one major change in this tired narrative is that now everybody is the new Hitler. And anything short of outright war is akin to Munich 1938.

The war on terror
    Please don't get me started on that one. For starters, terrorism is a tactic, not an ideology. A war on terror makes as much sense as a war on blitzkrieg.

The War in Iraq
    I've always been opposed to it. The Middle East is an unstable region, and the last thing you should be doing is upsetting the balance of power there. Saddam was not a threat to the US, and our own interrogators noted that he was not a madman but a very calculating person who was more concerned about Iran than America. Interestingly, they also noted that the major reason Saddam was evasive about having WMDs was to avoid exposing his weaknesses before the Iranians.

I also find it ironic that a country with the second largest nuclear aresenal in the world, with the capacities to blow up the earth several times over, and to date is the only country to use nuclear weapons against another in times of war - is afraid of some half-ass third world nations obtaining nuclear bombs. And the only response I get is a repeat of the "he's a raving madman" cliche.

I mean whatever happened to the lessons we learned from the Cold War, when we faced down an opponent with an aresenal numbering tens of thousands of nuclear bombs? Compared to that, these "Rogue nations" are a bunch of tough-talking kindergardners.

I'll just stop here.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by G-Virus View Post
    Where do you personally stand on the following?
    [*]The 2nd amendment.
    Uhhh, it exists? I'm not in favor of repealing it.

[*]Gay marriage
    I think all marriages should be gay. It's unrealistic I know, as there are always times of conflict and sadness, but I think you should always strive for as much gaiety in a marriage as possible.

[*]Abortion
    Absolutely horrible. Killing a child intentionally is never excusable, ever. The day the Supreme Court invented a right to abortion was one of the saddest days in US history.

][*]Alcohol, tobacco and other drugs
    I wish they would all go away, but in terms of legality, I'm in favor of personal freedom. I just wish there weren't so many stupid people abusing these things.

][*]Foreign policy
    We should stop selling out to foreign governments, cowing to all of their trade demands and bailing out their markets, reestablish our own sovereignty and quit letting the rest of the world dictate our policies on anything.

[*]The war on terror
    I'm certainly in favor of continuing to locate threats to our people and eliminating them whenever possible.

[*]The War in Iraq
    Seems like it went pretty well, it was over pretty quick and Saddam was brought to justice. The cleanup has been rather costly, but it appears it's near an end.

[*]Corporate tax cuts
    In favor. Huge tax cuts for everyone. Don't give corporations incentives to move overseas all the time. This goes back to the foreign policy thing too. It all goes together.

[*]The financial market bailout
    AGAINST AGAINST AGAINST Government's purpose is not to bail out failing businesses. ANY failing businesses. The way-too-powerful Federal Reserve is one of the biggest problems with our current economy.

[*]Middle class tax cuts
    Like I said, I'm in favor of tax cuts for EVERYONE.

[*]Social Security benefits
    Obviously the system needs to be changed. The "trust fund" is a big scam, as revenues are not matching benefits. I don't know which specific solution is the best, but the less fed govt power the better.

[*]Public health benifits like a two tier system or other ideas

Not really sure what this one means. If you're talking about govt control of the health care system, than I'm opposed to that.

[*]Welfare Benefits
    Allow local communities to take care of their own, get the federal monolith out of it and get rid of all the bureaucracy.

[*]Funding for higher education[*]Funding for K-12 education[*]Programs for children like public pre-K and Head-Start.
    Again, get it back to more local control, not federal dictates of what schools or parents do.

[*]Energy, from solar cells, drill baby drill, to nuclear plants, etc . . .
    Yeah, sure. Energize away.

[*]Any other topic you would like to chime in about that better clarifies your own personal/political stance.
    And another thing, how come I can't get no Tang round here?

Hello, Mr. President? I figured if anyone knew where to get some Tang, it'd be you!
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

# The 2nd amendment. I support it. Should be limited to a narrow array of firearms. Not for me. I hate guns.

# Gay marriage Support fully - should be able to receive identical amenities as heterosexual couples. Anything less is discrimination.

# Abortion Pro-Choice, anti-Abortion. Rendering it illegal will only push it underground, threatening the vulnerable.

# Alcohol, tobacco and other drugs Support, with the exception of hard/synthetic drugs (LSD; Crack Cocaine, etc.)

# The war on terror Buzz phrase used to legitimize foreign occupation without attacking the root catalysts for fundamentalist terrorism

# The War in Iraq Botched as a result of faulty/misguided intelligence. Will serve as a black eye for decades.

# The financial market bailout Unrealistic and artificial in its present state. Requires substantial transparency/amendments to approved spending ventures before final draft.

# Funding for higher education Sure. Where do we intend to cull funding from?

# Funding for K-12 education Grossly underpaid/misallocated against gerrymandering-esque lines of class delineation

# Programs for children like public pre-K and Head-Start. Not before the aforementioned is solidified...

# Energy, from solar cells, drill baby drill, to nuclear plants, etc . . . Yes, let's.

Social Liberal; Fiscal Conservative

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

[*]The 2nd amendment. - I am for moderation here. I think that people should be able to have guns, but that it should be regulated.

[*]Gay marriage - I think the government needs to stay the hell out of marriage, but since it won't, it needs to allow gay marriage.

[*]Abortion - Pro-choice pro-life. I think that ultimately, a woman must make this choice. I also think that we can do a better job of preventing unwanted pregnancies. Nobody wants abortion to be a widespread necessity, but ironically it is those who tend to fight so hard against it that oppose things like widely accessible birth control or comprehensive sex education.

[*]Alcohol, tobacco and other drugs - alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, and some other drugs should be legal, regulated, and taxed.

[*]Foreign policy - I like whatever's answer. Help, don't hurt, and don't do it unilaterally.

[*]The war on terror - could probably be better "fought" with knowledge of cultures and understanding of root causes. I'm all for eradicating terrorist cells, but I am pretty positive that military force only strengthens them.

[*]The War in Iraq - I'm glad Saddam Hussein is gone, but I think that it's basically a travesty in all other ways.

[*]Corporate tax cuts - Against

[*]The financial market bailout - Ambivalent, mostly against

[*]Middle class tax cuts - Pro

[*]Social Security benefits - Pro, though clearly there should be reform

[*]Public health benifits like a two tier system or other ideas - I'm not sure, but I do believe that heath care is a right, not a privilege.

[*]Welfare Benefits - Pro, but there should be reform

[*]Funding for higher education - PRO, and I like Obama's idea of exchanging some funding for volunteer service.

[*]Funding for K-12 education - PRO, though throwing money at schools is
    not the only, nor probably the most important, solution

[*]Programs for children like public pre-K and Head-Start. - PRO, but it should start earlier than age 4.

[*]Energy, from solar cells, drill baby drill, to nuclear plants, etc . . . - It is important to be forward thinking and progressive about energy (since we currently rely so heavily on something finite), and "drill baby drill" is not progressive.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.