User Tag List

First 678

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    So from the perspective that the type of tax has little effect, there isn't a good reason why the middle class should pay a much higher tax rate than the wealthy. Wouldn't median incomes rise faster if the middle class paid a lower tax rate? For your capital gains argument to hold water it is insufficient to say that lower capital gains rates aids everyone. You have to show that lower capital gains rates raises median incomes and GDP faster than lower income tax rates.
    Fair enough, I misunderstood the basis of your objections (trust me, there are lots of people who ARE obsessed about income disparities to the point of not paying attention to actual economic gains: for example, in my Political Economy of Development class, "pro-poor" economic policies were measured on the basis of income inequality rather than determining which policies caused the greatest percentage increase in actual income for the poor)-and for the record, capital gains taxes are graduated, just lower overall compared to income tax rates.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Fair enough, I misunderstood the basis of your objections (trust me, there are lots of people who ARE obsessed about income disparities to the point of not paying attention to actual economic gains: for example, in my Political Economy of Development class, "pro-poor" economic policies were measured on the basis of income inequality rather than determining which policies caused the greatest percentage increase in actual income for the poor)-and for the record, capital gains taxes are graduated, just lower overall compared to income tax rates.
    Heh, yeah I have the unfortunate position of being fairly moderate while being interested in politics. Most people I encounter who follow politics are either heavily to the left or heavily to the right (or Libertarian which means they are both heavily to the left and heavily to the right).

I see income disparity as an undesirable, but necessary, side effect of national prosperity. Income disparity is ok as long as it's true that everyone is actually benefiting more than a system where there was less income disparity. The attitude I see from the left is to emphasize reducing income disparity with little attention paid to actual economic gains. The attitude I see from the right though is to emphasize economic gains in aggregate while ignoring whether or not the average person is actually getting some benefit. Both sides have half of a point. It only seems natural to put both ideas together.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com