User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 72

  1. #51
    Senior Member Enyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    xNTJ
    Posts
    443

    Default

    I'm a huge believer in the second amendment. I believe that the right to bear arms should remain protected. At the same time, I support gun control. (Yeah, it sounds contradictory, right?) What this means is that I support the right to own guns, but, at the same time, I don't believe that any individual needs to own an Uzi.

    (Of course, right now, I'm also thinking that an overthrow of government is needed, a la Declaration of Independence. So maybe those AK-47's and Uzis would come in handy. :P)

    As far as lifestyle choices, I believe in the right to choose (abortion). I believe that same sex couples should be afforded the same rights and protections as everyone else. The government should not be allowed to manage our personal lives in this manner.

    ETA: While I'm pro-choice, I can't support late-term or partial birth abortions. They can survive outside the womb, so let them. That's when I'd consider it murder.
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

  2. #52
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    [*]The 2nd amendment.
    -I think gun laws should be determined at the state level.

    [*]Gay marriage
    -I'm ambivalent on this issue, but if forced to choose I'll lean more toward being pro-gay marriage. I voted against a measure to change my state's constitution to define marriage between a man and a woman. Ultimately I think the issue should be decided at the state level.

    [*]Abortion
    -This is another issue I'm ambivalent on. I'm pro-choice, but I support abortion education/pamphlets and other measures which reduce the number of abortions.

    [*]Alcohol, tobacco and other drugs
    -All drugs should be decriminalized, and the "softer" ones should be legalized (marijuana, ecstacy, etc...).

    [*]Foreign policy[*]The war on terror[*]The War in Iraq
    -We should have put way more effort into Afghanistan and Iraq was one giant mistake. Even now while moving troops out of Iraq would be bad for Iraq, it would be really good for our Afghanistan efforts to move those troops into there. In other words people who support leaving troops in Iraq (like McCain) "don't know the difference between a tactic and a strategy".

    [*]Corporate tax cuts
    -This is complicated. Technically we have a high corporate tax rate, but the tax revenue doesn't totally reflect this, because there are so many exceptions and loopholes in the system. Ultimately I think it would be best to simplify the system and lower the marginal rates while keeping corporate tax revenue about the same.

    [*]The financial market bailout
    -Complicated. It's a good idea in the basic premise, but is being implemented poorly.

    [*]Middle class tax cuts
    -good idea

    [*]Social Security benefits
    -It's not perfect, but overall it's a good system.

    [*]Public health benifits like a two tier system or other ideas
    -I'm ambivalent on this one. Conservatives have been talking about lowering costs, while liberals have been talking universal health care. Either approach would be better than what we have now, and since the last administration did jack squat I'd be just fine with universal health care.

    [*]Welfare Benefits
    -I need to research this more to form an opinion on it.

    [*]Funding for higher education
    -Good idea, we need more funding in fact.

    [*]Funding for K-12 education
    -Good idea, we need more funding in fact. Although most teachers I know complain about "No Child Left Behind", so that is probably not the method to go by.

    [*]Programs for children like public pre-K and Head-Start.
    -Don't know much about this.

    [*]Energy, from solar cells, drill baby drill, to nuclear plants, etc . . .
    -I'd like to see more funding toward developing alternative energies and subsidies for developing more fuel efficient vehicles.

    [*]Any other topic you would like to chime in about that better clarifies your own personal/political stance.
    -I loathe our current tax system. The ultra-wealthy pay a lower tax rate than a lot of middle class citizens, because the capital gains tax rate is a lot lower than the income tax rate. I'd like to see capital gains and dividends counted as income tax instead of having separate rates.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

  3. #53
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    -I loathe our current tax system. The ultra-wealthy pay a lower tax rate than a lot of middle class citizens, because the capital gains tax rate is a lot lower than the income tax rate. I'd like to see capital gains and dividends counted as income tax instead of having separate rates.
    Returns from investments involve much more risk than returns from labor, while at the same time they provide the capital necessary to keep job-creating businesses running. Lowering capital gains taxes has always increased government revenues and grown the economy, this is somthing virtually all economists agree upon.

    Trying to "stick it" to a few ultra wealthy people (you do know that millions of middle-class people have wall street and real estate investments, right?) tends to have bad consequences down the road...exhibit A, the Alternative Minimum Tax.

  4. #54
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    ...
    Trying to "stick it" to a few ultra wealthy people (you do know that millions of middle-class people have wall street and real estate investments, right?) tends to have bad consequences down the road...exhibit A, the Alternative Minimum Tax.
    You ain't just whistlin' Dixie!

  5. #55
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Returns from investments involve much more risk than returns from labor, while at the same time they provide the capital necessary to keep job-creating businesses running. Lowering capital gains taxes has always increased government revenues and grown the economy, this is somthing virtually all economists agree upon.

    Trying to "stick it" to a few ultra wealthy people (you do know that millions of middle-class people have wall street and real estate investments, right?) tends to have bad consequences down the road...exhibit A, the Alternative Minimum Tax.
    Investments are investments, they are not labor. You cannot compare risk, even in terms of variation, to hours worked vs capital worked. The only way this could be done is if you could own people.

    As far as the other statements, I don't know of any compelling evidence that would quantify how the different tax burdens would increase or decrease the government revenues (the laffer curve is considered vastly higher than what the states has). The little that I have heard shows that capital gain taxes are effective because they reduce the incentive to liquidate capital investment.

    Dividends shouldn't be taxed as income because they are taxed at the corporate level. Capital gains should be given tax benefits, but there are serious issues in how they are used to protect high-wealth individuals. It's not the rate, it's the legal structure, that I think needs to change. Regardless, the point remains that they should be taxed, and more so than they are (in practice).

  6. #56
    Senior Member dga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Returns from investments involve much more risk than returns from labor, while at the same time they provide the capital necessary to keep job-creating businesses running. Lowering capital gains taxes has always increased government revenues and grown the economy, this is somthing virtually all economists agree upon.
    Risk? it's only money. Labor involves the body, and you only get one.

  7. #57
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Returns from investments involve much more risk than returns from labor, while at the same time they provide the capital necessary to keep job-creating businesses running. Lowering capital gains taxes has always increased government revenues and grown the economy, this is somthing virtually all economists agree upon.
    Do you have any data comparing changes in capital gains rates to like changes in income tax rates?
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

  8. #58
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Investments are investments, they are not labor. You cannot compare risk, even in terms of variation, to hours worked vs capital worked.
    Quote Originally Posted by dga View Post
    Risk? it's only money. Labor involves the body, and you only get one.
    Salary is contractual and therefore predictable; monetary investment yields uncertain benefits, and could result in loss.

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Do you have any data comparing changes in capital gains rates to like changes in income tax rates?
    Here's one for capital gains taxes:

    http://dreier.house.gov/pdf/IPI-CapGainsKey.pdf

    The effect of income taxes on government revenues tends to be more varied.

  9. #59
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Salary is contractual and therefore predictable; monetary investment yields uncertain benefits, and could result in loss.
    Salary is not a yield/return and therefore cannot be compared to the variance on yield/return.

    The argument you are using should compare consumption versus investment, not labor.

  10. #60
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Here's one for capital gains taxes:

    http://dreier.house.gov/pdf/IPI-CapGainsKey.pdf

    The effect of income taxes on government revenues tends to be more varied.
    I got a

    "The requested page could not be found"

    from that link. :/
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Similar Threads

  1. Does anyone like to dance, but only when you are alone?
    By ndovjtjcaqidthi in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-05-2013, 04:08 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-15-2012, 06:46 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-23-2009, 12:18 AM
  4. Can politicians talk to Americans like adults?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-16-2009, 05:34 AM
  5. Replies: 69
    Last Post: 08-10-2007, 12:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO