User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 72

  1. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    ...[/B]
    /agree


    Our views are so similarly aligned it would be redundant to elaborate.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

  2. #32
    Diabolical Kasper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Posts
    11,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    [...]
    ^ that.


    I'm lazy like iwakar

  3. #33
    Senior Member Darjur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    493

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nillerz View Post
    If the government takes away our guns who's gonna stop them from shooting us?
    You can't have a gun with you even if you're a bloody policeman in France. Yet the French go up against the state like every second week. It's probably already a sort of hobby for most of them. And the French government is piss afraid of their citizenry.

    You can have anti-tank weaponry. Yet I can't remember you guys go out and actually doing something in years.



    If having a say against the government is what the law is about, you clearly failed at it.

    Also, having guns makes it easier for the government to kill you, because if you are considered an armed terrorist group instead of weaponless protesters, they can just freely go and massacre you without having to deal with shit.

  4. #34
    IRL is not real Cimarron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Posts
    3,424

    Default

    It's just about a Right to Revolution, same as Germany's laws have stated, for example.

    (though I hate to drag the thread farther off-topic)
    Last edited by Cimarron; 11-28-2008 at 10:39 AM. Reason: better terms
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

  5. #35
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,351

    Default

    1. The 2nd amendment. for
    2. Gay marriage against
    3. Abortion against
    4. Alcohol, tobacco and other drugs What's the question? They're bad for you. They put burden on the economy, health care system and insurance system.
    5. Foreign policy I think we should mind our own business more.
    6. The war on terror It's like trying to prevent drug trafficking. There's never an end.
    7. The War in Iraq I wish it had gone better than it did and I'll be glad when it's over.
    8. Corporate tax cuts That needs to be looked at very closely and made more equitable.
    9. The financial market bailout It's extremely complex. It makes me angry to have to pay for other people's greed and irresponsibility and lack of integrity.
    10. Middle class tax cuts Everybody loves tax cuts.
    11. Social Security benefits Sorry it was ever implemented. Hope somebody fixes it.
    12. Public health benefits like a two tier system or other ideas Socialized medicine doesn't work.
    13. Welfare Benefits If only we could prevent people from abusing the system.
    14. Funding for higher education Higher education is becoming too expensive.
    15. Funding for K-12 education Isn't it already paid for with taxes?
    16. Programs for children like public pre-K and Head-Start. I wish those babies could be home with their moms, but this isn't a perfect world.
    17. Energy, from solar cells, drill baby drill, to nuclear plants, etc . . . I definitely think we should move away from dependence on foreign oil. I HATE nuclear. It is way too unsafe to be a good idea. Has everyone forgotten about Three Mile Island??!! What about all the people who live near nuclear plants with higher rates of birth defects and cancer? It's NOT worth the price!

    I love the "green" ways of generating power. We should definitely move in that direction.

  6. #36
    señor member colmena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INXP
    Posts
    1,550

    Default

    The paranoia is astonishing. I tend to think the Government is in control, so I ask myself, why would the American Government want its people paranoid? Kent State might say it keeps you alive.
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

    -How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

  7. #37
    Feline Member kelric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INtP
    Posts
    2,169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I HATE nuclear. It is way too unsafe to be a good idea. Has everyone forgotten about Three Mile Island??!! What about all the people who live near nuclear plants with higher rates of birth defects and cancer? It's NOT worth the price!
    Going to jump in on this one... Three Mile Island was the worst power-generation accident in the history of the American nuclear power industry. It was an older-style reactor system that would never be built today, due to safety concerns. It was also, of course, responsible for *zero* deaths, and the amount of radiation leaked was minimal (we're talking a single medical X-ray levels, at worst). This compares *very* favorably to any coal plant in existence (coal plants release much more radioactive waste into the environment than nuclear plants do - and MANY more people are killed due to coal-plant particulates in the atmosphere than anything the nuclear power industry has ever done - including Chernobyl). I don't think there's any doubt at all that modern nuclear facilities are safer and more environmentally conscious than anything else that's able to provide a comparable amount of power over the long-term (ie, coal). Really, the only thing nuclear power has going against it is cost (under simple comparisons... nuclear starts looking better when you take into consideration things like attempting to stabilize the middle east politically, or you start thinking about "clean coal" and sequestering CO2 from fossil fuel plants).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  8. #38
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    Going to jump in on this one... Three Mile Island was the worst power-generation accident in the history of the American nuclear power industry. It was an older-style reactor system that would never be built today, due to safety concerns. It was also, of course, responsible for *zero* deaths, and the amount of radiation leaked was minimal (we're talking a single medical X-ray levels, at worst). This compares *very* favorably to any coal plant in existence (coal plants release much more radioactive waste into the environment than nuclear plants do - and MANY more people are killed due to coal-plant particulates in the atmosphere than anything the nuclear power industry has ever done - including Chernobyl). I don't think there's any doubt at all that modern nuclear facilities are safer and more environmentally conscious than anything else that's able to provide a comparable amount of power over the long-term (ie, coal). Really, the only thing nuclear power has going against it is cost (under simple comparisons... nuclear starts looking better when you take into consideration things like attempting to stabilize the middle east politically, or you start thinking about "clean coal" and sequestering CO2 from fossil fuel plants).
    I don't see the necessity of creating radioactive waste and gradually making the planet uninhabitable thereby.

  9. #39
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I don't see the necessity of creating radioactive waste and gradually making the planet uninhabitable thereby.
    I know this isn't really the place for the debate, however I have to disagree with this. Coal plants put out more radioactive waste, in uncontrolled environments, than nuclear power plants - that is, living close to any coal plant is worse than living next to a nuclear plant.

    France produces almost all of its power from nuclear energy, for example... now granted, they are more advanced, so I don't think it would be wise to based it on that alone, but it certainly is possible to do it on a huge scale safely and efficiently... and environmentally safe.

  10. #40
    Senior Member dga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    360

    Default

    France also has difficulties moving the spent uranium somewhere else.

    Should nuclear power be totally safe, there is still nowhere to store its waste. In the US there Yucca mountain in nevada, but the costs are tremendous (hasnt even opened!), and while many reactors are "temporarily" storing their spent fuel at the power plants, Yucca mountain would be full in its second year of accepting waste.

Similar Threads

  1. Does anyone like to dance, but only when you are alone?
    By ndovjtjcaqidthi in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-05-2013, 04:08 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-15-2012, 06:46 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-23-2009, 12:18 AM
  4. Can politicians talk to Americans like adults?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-16-2009, 05:34 AM
  5. Replies: 69
    Last Post: 08-10-2007, 12:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO