First 45678 Last

Thread: Mumbai

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    It's true, G-Virus, you have caught me at my weakest point.

After all, we live in the attention economy. And you are my boss - you pay me in attention.

For God's sake don't sack me - don't cut me off - don't leave me without attention.

The worst thing you could do is ignore me.

Keep your finger - keep your finger - off the kill button.
    Lol, he takes the dumbest response and chooses to respond to that one. Good Job, shows us what level you like to work at.
    Seek freedom and become captive of your desires, seek discipline and find your liberty.

"If you go looking for something in particular, your chances of finding it are very bad, because of all the things in the world, you're only looking for one of them. If you go looking for anything at all, your chances of finding it are very good, because of all the things in the world, you're sure to find some of them."

Quote Originally Posted by G-Virus View Post
    Lol, he takes the dumbest response and chooses to respond to that one. Good Job, shows us what level you like to work at.
    Oh brere fox, oh brere fox, don't throw me into the briar patch!

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by G-Virus View Post
    I can't live my life apologizing for things that have nothing to do with me all day.
    Yeah, I know individuals can't do that much, but I'm thinking more of organizations. "Apologies" would be besides the point, but pointing out that it is against the Quran ( condemnation ) might get through to some fence -sitters, and also make the point that the Muslim community is not voluntarily or consciously sheltering "sleepers" etc. Are they obliged to do so out of some moral weight ? No. I'm just thinking of those vigilantes, man. When that shit starts, there's going to be a lot of decent Muslims that become bitter that needn't have. The true onus is on the vigilantes to get educated, but dream on, waiting for that.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

Oh brere fox, oh brere fox, don't throw me into the briar patch!
    I'm glad to see you picked up a childrens classic with that new library card I advised you to get.
    Seek freedom and become captive of your desires, seek discipline and find your liberty.

"If you go looking for something in particular, your chances of finding it are very bad, because of all the things in the world, you're only looking for one of them. If you go looking for anything at all, your chances of finding it are very good, because of all the things in the world, you're sure to find some of them."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Kick it down a notch, guys. And Victor, people tend to get upset when you compare them to Nazis. That plus being a Muslim doesn't make them Islamists or terrorist sympathizers or whatever you're claiming. In other words, please stop.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

It's ironic isn't it?

Islamic terrorists attack Mumbai in India. And your instinctive response is to attack Israel.

This instinct is called anti-semitism.
    The post that this was a reply to talked about Israel and not Mumbai, because I replied with comment to a post on Israel, I talked about Israel. If your instinctive response is yelling you-hate-the-Jews everywhere, then you're no better than me buddy.

Like Australia, Israel is a country recognised by the United Nations.

And like Australia, Israel is a full member of the United Nations.

And like Australia, Israel has the full protection of the United Nations.

We know what stability is. And this is called stability.

And it will stand in the face of hatred.

Even yours.
    Stability on the cost of destabilizing a whole region.

I am fully aware that Israel is in the UN and NATO. And I know what the implications of that mean, you don't need repeat yourself on the subject.

P.S. You haven't answered any of the questions I gave you, you replied with two statements that I can't even see a bloody logical connection with.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    People have said "Why don't moderate Muslims speak out more against the radicals ? " Well, maybe they do, more often then people realize, but it is not considered as piquant as other news, and gets buried in some back pages human interest marginality.

On the other hand, I think a lot of moderate Muslims are trusting that most people will realize that they have nothing to do with any of this. They also feel that they shouldn't have to "apologize" for these extremists. Technically they are right, of course, but if I were able to whisper in the ear of someone very influential amongst the Muslims, I would urge them to do this anyway, even if it means taking out a full page ad in a well known newspaper.
    This is full of good points, and I'm glad you thought this through and wrote this out (it wouldn't have crystallized clearly on its own for me, so it gives new perspective for me).

Also, we may remember that "news" reports what is "out of the ordinary", and luckily, being opposed to terrorism is ordinary for most people, so being opposed to terrorism is predictable and not news. Though, because of misconceptions, it would be beneficial to "report" it anyway, as you said, even though that's not fair.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Kick it down a notch, guys. And Victor, people tend to get upset when you compare them to Nazis. That plus being a Muslim doesn't make them Islamists or terrorist sympathizers or whatever you're claiming. In other words, please stop.
    Victor tends toward hyperbole, but he is not being a hatemonger; he's IS, however, being very effectively demonized by having words put into his mouth. Pointing out problematic aspects of widespread contemporary Muslim attitudes and religious interpretations is NOT the same as saying all Muslims are terrorists (and most Islamists are not terrorists-just as most segregationists were not members of the KKK). Frankly, he hasn't said much that is qualitatively different from what Stoned_Rider or Berberella often write about, so why pick on him?

Here are a few posts that present my own views on this matter:

INTP Central - View Single Post - What is your view of Islam???

Last edited by lowtech redneck; 11-30-2008 at 08:46 AM. Reason: problem solved, I'm an idiot.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Darjur View Post

I am fully aware that Israel is in the UN and NATO.
    um, Israel is not a NATO member.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    True. All the more reason for having such a separation, because some religions believe things that conflict with other behavior that is generally considered reasonable or a "necessary evil" etc. Plus you have different religions themselves conflicting.
    Actually, the separation of religion and state is viewed as consistent with (and in some cases a vital aspect of) the laws of God within contemporary Christianity-including the vast majority of fundamentalist sects.

And, to put it bluntly, any religious law that is in opposition to such basic and indispensable liberal concepts as freedom of religion, freedom of speech, and equality under the law regardless of religious affiliation is an abomination. Guess what Shariah law has to say about all these things?