User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Default The Real History of Thanksgiving

At times I've heard the stories of thanksgiving we heard in school are whitewashed. I do remember seeing an interesting book in the bookstore once about American history from an unbiased, non-whitewashed perspective, but reading books about history just isn't something I have time for.

Does anybody have any knowledge or articles concerning this?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Whaddya wanna know?

Miles Standish was a military officer/would-be physician. Helped take care of the sick/dying during the difficult winter passage of 1620. Initial Native interaction came about as an extension of trade necessity -- had the French not arrived sooner, it is possible the existing barriers in communication (alongside the shared fear/uncertainty towards the other party) may have made for a skirmish, instead of trade negotiations.

More...? Different data...?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

From what I heard it sounded like something bad was going on like they were robbing or killing Indians instead. I dunno.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Maybe so.

Each side was extremely wary of the other. It's likely there may have been a violent exchange, prior/after the Mayflower Compact.

The English were dying of starvation/disease. Violence was probably not out of the question for them.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

The History Channel has a documentary about that whole episode they've been running today. I saw bits and pieces of it while I was eating lunch. Apparently the English dug up a grave, hoping to find supplies, the first time they encountered a native settlement.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    IXFP

FFF, if you don't like Thanksgiving you don't have to dig for justification.(IE Trying to find out how may turkeys lost their lives or what our crazy forefathers did over 200 years ago).

It's OK if you don't like Thanksgiving. You don't need a reason. I don't particularly like Christmas, but a lot of people do and I'm happy for them.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Chukamok View Post
    FFF, if you don't like Thanksgiving you don't have to dig for justification.(IE Trying to find out how may turkeys lost their lives or what our crazy forefathers did over 200 years ago).

It's OK if you don't like Thanksgiving. You don't need a reason. I don't particularly like Christmas, but a lot of people do and I'm happy for them.
    I don't hate Thanksgiving. I'm just trying to learn some real history instead of school-filtered history.

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

As a non-American I have a question for you Americans. As I understand 'Thanksgiving' is essentially the American version of the 'Harvest festival', which is a Pagan festival that got stolen from them by Christians; So why the hell did turkeys become part of 'Thanksgiving'?

(note to myself read your retarded spelling before you post)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    ENTP

Because they're probably the largest game bird indigenous to the US and relatively common? Back in those days it was venison and turkey and whatever you raised yourself.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    INXP

Why did it move from the date Canada still celebrate it, to nearer to Christmas, long after the harvest?