User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    What is disturbing about the way people act in groups is that these more innocent motivations can quickly spiral into serious violations. I want to say it is markedly different, but when you look at the history of societies it doesn't seem all that new. Those people might have acted innocently, but the people who have committed, or simply watched, other atrocities were also partly innocent in many contexts.
    It’s really not that different a situation. Perhaps in modern Western culture the detachment and indifference provided and fuelled by the internet is just offers better excuses, both real and those bordering on inexcusable, for people not to act. So the issue then becomes how much blame can be attributed to the bystanders in comparison to actual perpetrators. I know that if I had clicked upon a link to the live broadcast I would have immediately closed it and gone elsewhere. How accountable does that make me compared to someone who stayed and watched or to someone who actually encouraged and egged the man on?

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    The word murder in the thread title is probably not the most accurate choice, but my concern is that it really isn't that different from humanity's long history of group floggings whether these be physical or psychological. The problem is that in every case it seems entirely justified at the time by "reasonable" people.
    That is an issue. In every case there are reasons for and against, and many are legitimate. The problem is in trying to work out who should have done what we need to quantify things that can’t really be quantified in order to weigh up the ‘right’ against the ‘wrong’.

Quote Originally Posted by felt up View Post
    This is about a much larger problem. It's not only about the end of one unfortunate bipolar's life. It's about the end humanity for those 1500 assholes who sat and watched it happen and did nothing and felt nothing and cavalierly went about their lives like nothing happened. It's what I see everyday in people and it makes me sick. We live in an increasingly feelingless world where most people think it's cool to act like numbed-out automatons to the determent of other people and themselves. It was so cool to type out cute little LOLs in response to his threats of suicide. They took pleasure in goading him into his own destruction. I just don't understand the impulse to stomp on someone who is in a great deal of pain.
    I'm going to be different here and agree with this. There is amusement and innocent fun, and there is callousness. This is the latter. Suicide threats aren't really something you play around with. Defining a person as emo or saying there are suicide kids everywhere doesn't really excuse that. Obviously millions of people die every day in every corner of the world. But that does mean you let one die in front of you. Or joke and encourage it. Felt up has actually made a pretty valid point here. I doubt all were murderers, but it is cold and inhumane to encourage someone to fulfill this sort of will regardless. I understand the people watching, but the realisation that these days we feel such a thing is nothing more than reality tv is scary. The internet detaches us. Computers do in general. What's in here and what's in the real world don't always connect. Here you push keys, and draw smileys. Most think how is this going to change anything, I'm just procrastinating. It dehumanises the material in question.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

MISLEADING THREAD TITLE ALERT
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I'm surprised no one called the police sooner. Most forums I've been on would have been all over it, just from simple self-interest. Either that group was ignorant of proper procedure or their admins weren't very available and missed it being reported. I'd (maybe) give someone one chance to say they weren't serious then I'd be trying to get the cops at the kid's house. If they did it more than once I'd suggest perma-banning them. They need to be getting help irl and you don't mess around with stuff like that.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    A.K.A. human weakness.

Those susceptible to this effect should die, if the idea ever even entered their mind.

Bystander effect. Shit.

We're upset now, but before everyone was upset that they were alive.
    And I mean that broadly -- not just in this case.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    suicide, not a murder.
    Suicide is murder man!

Gosh don't you know -- when we don't love and cherish and support everyone else, the inevitable result is suicide.

Come on Mr. Ralus! Everyone knows that people prone to suicidal thoughts are extremely impressionable people. Suicide is one of the most frequently suggested things ever!
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Many did think that, from what I understand.

I think just recently some girl staged her own suicide online, to boot, then revealed it was a hoax, and this boy had threatened suicide before without making good on it. So it's kind of difficult to emotionally invest in things that so often end up being frauds, until the wolf actually shows up and devours the boy and everyone stands around dumbfounded.
    Aw now come on. It was unclear how many Fifteen hundred people watched it unfold.

Surely at least one of them was new. However not even one was responsible.

Murder.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    Aw now come on. It was unclear how many Fifteen hundred people watched it unfold.

Surely at least one of them was new. However not even one was responsible.

Murder.
    Oh, stop. You're giving MBTIc a bad name over at INTPc.

You're right, though, suicide is murder. You can be arrested for it, can't it, in some places?
    And murder is just an extroverted suicide.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Oh, stop. You're giving MBTIc a bad name over at INTPc.
    I doubt with pious sincerity that that's all my fault.

You're right, though, suicide is murder. You can be arrested for it, can't it, in some places?
    And murder is just an extroverted suicide.
    I wonder what the commission is for arresting a body.
    On the one hand, it's way easier, so it's probably not worth as much.
    But on the other hand, as if to balance it out, it's kinda gross.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    No, that's just your F function talking...

I feel sorry the kid died, but alas, it wasn't everyone on the internet's fault.
    +1
    What a uselessly melodramatic thread supported by nothing but feely nonsense.
    Ti (43); Ne (41.8); Te (33.7); Fi (30.5); Ni (27.5); Se (24.7); Si (21.5); Fe (17.3)
    The More You Know the Less You Need. - Aboriginal Saying