User Tag List

First 8161718

Results 171 to 180 of 180

  1. #171
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    We can appreciate even those things we disagree with. I have more respect for someone who comes to the wrong conclusion based on the proper approach rather than someone who is right for the wrong reasons.
    Proper approach? Are you havin' a laugh? IS HE HAVIN' A LAUGH?!

  2. #172
    movin melodies kiddykat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    1,115

    Default

    I think it's sad how people would sit there and make a spectacle of it. He obviously was screaming for help. If the guy mentioned suicide before, instead of cracking jokes and making lol remarks, it would've been a bit more humane to offer help and support (if one can handle it). Sad. So sad.

    The Beatles were right when they said, "All You Need Is Love." I hope people actually learn from these stories as a way to grow up and have a heart. So sad. My condolences to the guy.
    Last edited by kiddykat; 11-25-2008 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Re-Edit: correction, the Beatles

  3. #173
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    ^^ viv...i know...i haven't even read it because i can't handle the sadness.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

  4. #174
    `~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    9,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Eh, I was condescending as well.

    He hasn't really said anything useful in his entire time on the forum. He's not worth getting into a flame war.
    And have you?

    I find many of Didum's posts useful in their ability to integrate and organize a multitude of complex ideas, opinions and data in such a way so as to put forth and carve a logically coherent and cogent argument out of them.

    I appreciate his insight, perspective as well as his intellectual honesty/integrity.

    I not only find his posts useful in their educational capacities but I also find his posts refreshing, and humorous.

    Also, he is 16.

    He is a very wise cookie, indeed.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

    "A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

    "That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

    Veritatem dies aperit

    Ride si sapis

    Intelligentle sparkles

  5. #175
    Senior Member Simplexity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,741

    Default

    ^ Nice advertising. I'll leave my comments to that.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

  6. #176
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    837

    Default What is the heart of the issue, and how do we get there peacefully?

    What's being discussed in this thread seems like one of those kinds of issues where everyone immediately draws their swords, raises their shields, and takes a stand.

    "Have compassion, you heartless bastards!"
    "Be rational, you sissies!"

    This conversation is also perfect for throwing witty jabs at whichever stance you disagree with. I know that I could come up with them all day long if I wanted to. Oh, and it would feel good to do it. I won't even pretend like I'm above doing that, I still do it. I'm just choosing not to in this case. I'm investing more into it this time out of genuine desire to learn and explore.

    Now, I'd like to share with you my thoughts on the subject. I'm not fond enough of them yet to call them opinions or convictions - this is just merely my reaction. I'll try to stay specific to the theme of this discussion and not get into broader and more philosophical things that would compromise our ability to find common ground.

    This is the real me as of right now, no jabs, shockers, or guilt trips included.

    1. This doesn't have an impact on my life, at all. (Unless you count this discussion, which I am purposely contributing to.)

    2. If reading something like this upset me, I'd probably disgust myself for being so fragile.

    3. I do think egging someone on while pulling a stunt like that is quite the shitty thing to do.

    4. However, judging the viewers is just as wrong as anything else. You don't know what they saw or what they thought (or felt) about what they saw. Being holier than though is just as bad as being a selfish scumbag - and sometimes it's even worse.

    5. I don't want people to kill themselves, but it happens. If you save someone from suicide, they might hate you and kill themselves later, or they might end up being really grateful and living a wonderful life full of love. You never know. Shit just happens the way it does.

    6. I think suicide is a lot less tragic than, well, just about every other kind of death. Those people chose to die. For whatever reason they are doing it, they are doing it because they want to.

    7. I do not think that any one of those viewers was morally "obligated" to get help for the kid. It's merely a personal choice. (And it was the kid's personal choice to do what he did.) If the viewers chose to do nothing and they can sleep tonight just fine, then their decision was good for them, which is really who we're supposed to make decisions for by default anyway. That's why our brains are in own heads, to serve US. If the viewers regret it, then they've learned something and have possibly grown from the experience. Their "job" is to make their own choices and deal with the consequences. Nothing else is their job or duty. I'm not against helping people whatsoever, and I'm not a cynic, but this was just a case of a bunch of brains working their magic. What's more tragic, the kid and his suicide, or the fact that a bunch of people acted like people, flaws and all, instead of benevolent all-seeing and all-knowing gods?

    8. If someone had made the personal choice to help, the kid might have been saved and we wouldn't be having this discussion. Think of all the times that does happen. You don't see stories about all the times people that don't die unless it's really interesting. Sad and unstable people just aren't interesting news if they're just trying to live their lives. But, lots of people do good things every day. Small things and big things. So, you know, don't go judging humanity over this, unless you enjoy rationalizing things that are not objectively true just so you can believe them in order to make yourself feel morally superior to others. (I'm not accusing anyone here of that, it's merely a possibility that I'm pointing out.)

    9. I like people and I like helping them. I don't enjoy human suffering at all. I'm just not naturally as compassionate or sensitive about these things some other people. I make my contribution in other ways. However, I am interested in exploring that other way of seeing things, even if it is kind of scary. I'd love to hear from others on this stuff and I'll try my best to keep the walls down and to stay open minded. For example, if you say "Compassion is good.", I won't bother saying "Prove it!". I'll just try to see what you're saying and where you're coming from and why, but it will be hard. Keep in mind that I always start from a scientific standpoint. I do find this thread quite interesting.

    -Sid
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

  7. #177
    Senior Member ThatsWhatHeSaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    7,233

    Default

    Keep the personal attacks out, please.

  8. #178
    mountain surfing nomadic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Posts
    1,709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Why would that be difficult?
    well, she tried to committ suicide cus i broke up with her...broke into my apt. and took a bunch of pills on my bed... it was a long time ago...

  9. #179
    Senior Member Eileen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?
    Posts
    2,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    Do you really have issues with ALL 1500 people there.
    I have made very few, if any, references to this actual situation. I merely said that if you egg someone on to commit suicide, you're an asshole. When Lat claimed that this was somehow reasonable, I disagree. It might be predictable, but reasonable it is not. "Reasonable" implies some kind of underlying logic. Being abusive and unkind is no more "reasonable" than being compassionate or altruistic.

    Some people just don't have the level of compassion when it comes to ideals like you. Respect that fact, some people may not have the same detached, critical perspective that I do, I respect that fact everyday.
    Again, for my part, all I am saying is that people shouldn't be assholes. I have never made a claim about what those 1500 people should have done--only what they SHOULD NOT have done. I am not quite sure how you extrapolated all those intentions from a one-line post of mine.
    INFJ

    "I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

  10. #180
    Senior Member Darjur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    493

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    The fact that people like you exist terrify me, to be honest.

    Your complete lack of empathy is indicative of some kind of sociopathy.

    I truly hope you choose a life of seclusion, for the benefit of mankind.

    Your extreme ambition in addition to your blatant disregard for life frightens the hell out of me.
    Looks like my type is really loved and appreciated. But alas, I am sorry, for my life is not that of a hermit, I enjoy social manipulation too much to live like that.


    On a side note, this isn't something that's always done through the internet and you shouldn't assume that to be a "condition", people are quite comfortable doing that in real life as well, there are several cases of real life "encouragement" to suicide being done, the most recent I can think of is the event in England where a mob were yelling at a kid to jump of the building that he had climbed on to "threaten" suicide. The bastard did jump of at the end thought, but the thing that made me lol the most was that the mob then proceeded to storm towards the body to take pictures. God I love the English, they're probably the holy grail of cynicism.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 03-16-2013, 05:10 AM
  2. Do people try to seem iNtuitive online?
    By Il Morto Che Parla in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 12-15-2012, 11:52 PM
  3. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-07-2009, 02:42 AM
  4. Other People's Kids
    By miss fortune in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 122
    Last Post: 09-20-2008, 01:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO