User Tag List

First 715161718 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    I'm not against free speech. It wouldn't make sense to try to control the source of violence because even before it enters the realm of speech, it is an idea inside the mind. "Legal" or "illegal" have to be based on external, concrete outcomes that occur at the end of such processes. Is that a good enough reason to not examine the whole process of how violence comes into being? Why would identifying language as a first step in violence suggest any infringement on free speech? We all agree that language influences thoughts and behaviors. That is its function.

This isn't a discussion that allows for hard conclusions to be drawn because it is all in that grey, undefinable area. However, it does provide an opportunity to examine some social and psychological processes that have tragic outcomes. I wonder if it is because it is upsetting that people lean towards assuming these absolute conclusions about it.
    As long as it's purely academic, analyze all you want. But before any policy is made, I want undeniable scientific proof.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    1. Upholding a standard is not equivalent to expecting the world to be perfect. I'm sorry if I fail to live up to some caricature you have for people concerned with moral conduct.
    2. No. AGAIN, I am not concerned with legality. I am concerned with responsibility ONLY for their behavior in a moral sense.
    We live in a society that legislates morality. So when you speak of moral responsibility, you have to consider the legal consequences. In this country, saying someone is morally responsible is the first step to making them legally responsible.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    We live in a society that legislates morality. So when you speak of moral responsibility, you have to consider the legal consequences. In this country, saying someone is morally responsible is the first step to making them legally responsible.
    What is the basis for law?
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    Awwwe Bluewing is training you how to be condescending as well.

Tell me, what other fascinating courses has he scheduled for you?
    Eh, I was condescending as well.

He hasn't really said anything useful in his entire time on the forum. He's not worth getting into a flame war.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    Awwwe Bluewing is training you how to be condescending as well.

Tell me, what other fascinating courses has he scheduled for you?
    Plumbing 101
    Advanced Knot Tying
    A Beginner's Guide to Chiropractic
    Intermediate Mechanics Tutorials
    California Online Law School

He hasn't really said anything useful in his entire time on the forum. He's not worth getting into a flame war.
    My e-peen hurts from that, really, it does, like you just owned me, maybe one day I'll be as cool as you..

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

What is the basis for law?
    How soon do you want that 1,000 page essay?

MBTI
    ENTP

Bluewing presents very good information. I understand that some are annoyed with his style and pedantic nature, but his contribution is definitely valuable.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Bluewing presents very good information. I understand that some are annoyed with his style and pedantic nature, but his contribution is definitely valuable.
    I was talking about Didums.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

It might be good if you agree with it. Trust me, it ain't the style which I find the most disagreement with.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    It might be good if you agree with it. Trust me, it ain't the style which I find the most disagreement with.
    We can appreciate even those things we disagree with. I have more respect for someone who comes to the wrong conclusion based on the proper approach rather than someone who is right for the wrong reasons.