User Tag List

First 51314151617 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    If words are used as a weapon and produce a result of violence, then the main distinction is that the first phase of the weapon and process are more abstract, but the point is that it results in physical, tangible violence. Examples of this are common place. It could be argued that all violence begins with language communication whether this be dehumanizing speech, indoctrination into extremist and hate views, or psychologically destructive words.
    x=j

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Didums View Post
    Intent.

So I can run into a movie theatre and yell "I'm going to kill you all!" no biggie?

I mean like, those are just words right?
    One your example is flawed from the get go because you're physically present, and those people have reasonable doubt enough to be scared and wary. Online communication, even written is much different. The situation being discussed isn't even talking about personal intent to act. Persuasion or why someone should do something, or why someone is worthless is not intent to cause physical harm. At least not directly.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    One your example is flawed from the get go because you're physically present, and those people have reasonable doubt enough to be scared and wary.
    As you read my response to your post it is stimulating neurons in your brain, what I say has a direct physical connection to you because you are reading it. If I write something that angers you, I am initiating a release of chemicals in your brain, just like if I said the same thing in real life. It may not be as potent, but it exists, and when you have thousands of people on the internet telling you that it is okay to kill yourself and that you should do it, it has a real effect.

Persuasion or why someone should do something, or why someone is worthless is not intent to cause physical harm. At least not directly.
    No, a direct chemical response is being triggered.

Also, the law tends to disagree. Remember that case where a mom cyber-bullied a 13 year old girl on myspace and actually said to her that the world would be a better place without her, so she killed herself? yea.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    If words are used as a weapon and produce a result of violence, then the main distinction is that the first phase of the weapon and process are more abstract, but the point is that it results in physical, tangible violence. Examples of this are common place. It could be argued that all violence begins with language communication whether this be dehumanizing speech, indoctrination into extremist and hate views, or psychologically destructive words.
    So let's make all "mean" words illegal!

No thanks. There are too many infringements on free speech as it is. I'd prefer to stick to what can be undeniably proven to be direct cause (shouting "Fire" in a crowded theater is one such case). Anything more is leaving too much up to interpretation.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTP

Wow. Listening to bluewing are you. Completely shift the parameters.

Sometimes I see an attractive women and I get this response...

Does it mean I'm going to rape her, should she be concerned. There's definitely chemical processes going on!!
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Didums View Post
    Also, the law tends to disagree. Remember that case where a mom cyber-bullied a 13 year old girl on myspace and actually said to her that the world would be a better place without her, so she killed herself? yea.
    What happened there, hmmm? I'm curious what you know about this case, since it happened in the same county where I grew up. I used to work less than a mile from that house. Is that woman in prison? Did she even get charged?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    So let's make all "mean" words illegal!

No thanks. There are too many infringements on free speech as it is. I'd prefer to stick to what can be undeniably proven to be direct cause (shouting "Fire" in a crowded theater is one such case). Anything more is leaving too much up to interpretation.
    It's not the words themselves. It's the intent. Intent can be established through evidence.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

Wow. Listening to bluewing are you. Completely shift the parameters.

Sometimes I see an attractive women and I get this response...

Does it mean I'm going to rape her, should she be concerned. There's definitely chemical processes going on!!

I can't believe I got the honor to use both of those in 1 post together!

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    What happened there, hmmm? I'm curious what you know about this case, since it happened in the same county where I grew up. I used to work less than a mile from that house. Is that woman in prison? Did she even get charged?
    Cyber Bullying Mom Charged in MySpace Suicide Case - Networking - IT Channel News by CRN and VARBusiness

Basically yea, she's in trouble, but not murder-status trouble.

EDIT: Scratch that, came upon this:

No Charges Will Be Filed In Cyberbullying Case | Threat Level from Wired.com

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    It's not the words themselves. It's the intent. Intent can be established through evidence.
    Intent can be proven where something substantial has been done, like premeditated murder. You have evidence of the planning. I'd like to see you explain how intent could be proven with any of those 1500 spectators.