User Tag List

First 41213141516 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    I am blaming them for their failure to behave in a responsible manner with respect to egging someone on about suicide. Now, it is possible that every one of these people just thought he was joking, but this is why we take such things so seriously even when we are 99% certain someone is joking. Some things you just do not joke about despite the risk being so small.
    I don't think I would do it. I do consider those who explicitly encouraged him to be a bit lackin' in moral fiber, but I see this as irrelevant. The importance lies with actual blame, and such notions as devising public policy based on the supposed blame of others for a person's suicide. It's a dangerous road. Get 10,000 people loudly stating that these net-heads are evil, and did wrong, and we might find ourselves tangled up in nonsensical laws.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    So basically you're arguing philosophically?

The end product was his death. Does it matter the facts that led to it, do you think it would somehow be averted if the audience decided to throw a pity party. I'm actually not getting why people are really investing so much time into an "impractical" conversation.

He died, he had mental issues, other people outside of his famed 1500 had access to him personally. Apparently they didn't care enough. Unless you're arguing that his audience: his blog subscription that cared deeply and passionately about him, therefore were obligated to all act in good faith...

wait. Are you arguing that the 1500 had a greater impact than the other serious forces that precluded this little "showing."

That it was the deciding factor?

Is this just a glorified case study on ethics?
    My entire argument is concerned with ethics. We cannot save the world, but we should all attempt to live by certain rules, in which the right to swing our fist ends where someone's nose begins, for example. We live in a society of individuals, yet each individual has certain responsibilities with regard to his own conduct.

I reject the basic assumptions that: a. we do not share a part in some larger responsibility to behave morally and b. we should say whatever we want as if what we say has no influence.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    And what's this newfound disgust you have with suicide all about? Your position on these matters is anything but predictable...

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum.../8555-not.html
    I take life and death very seriously.

And my stance on suicide has not changed.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    WHAT?!?!?!

So when a sociopath rapes and kills a four year old girl, this is "reasonable" simply because he was/is a sociopath?!?!?
    You're comparing typed words over the internet to someone raping and killing a child? That's pretty ridiculous.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    You're comparing typed words over the internet to someone raping and killing a child? That's pretty ridiculous.
    No, I was following your reasoning...

"Some people are assholes, so to act that way to someone they don't care about is reasonable."

And extrapolating that out to include other people, namely, some sociopaths, who act in ways to people they don't care about, i.e. engaging in acts of torture, etc, to expose the weakness in your logic which is, just because a person happens to be an asshole, in no way excuses their cruel actions as being reasonable.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    No, I was following your reasoning...

"Some people are assholes, so to act that way to someone they don't care about is reasonable."

And extrapolating that out to include other people, namely, some sociopaths, who act in ways to people they don't care about, i.e. engaging in acts of torture, etc, to expose the weakness in your logic which is, just because a person happens to be an asshole, in no way excuses their cruel actions as being reasonable.
    Your extrapolation is flawed. There's a big difference between words and murder. Can you not see this?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Your extrapolation is flawed. There's a big difference between words and murder. Can you not see this?
    Intent.

So I can run into a movie theatre and yell "I'm going to kill you all!" no biggie?

I mean like, those are just words right?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Didums View Post
    Intent.

So I can run into a movie theatre and yell "I'm going to kill you all!" no biggie?

I mean like, those are just words right?
    You might get away with that, unless it caused a stampede and someone got hurt. That's a scenario that's been demonstrated to be dangerous, with an individual directly responsible, closer to being like Dr. Kevorkian than some random guy on the internet.

How many more retarded examples are people going to come up with?

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

If words are used as a weapon and produce a result of violence, then the main distinction is that the first phase of the weapon and process are more abstract, but the point is that it results in physical, tangible violence. Examples of this are common place. It could be argued that all violence begins with language communication whether this be dehumanizing speech, indoctrination into extremist and hate views, or psychologically destructive words.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

How many more retarded examples are people going to come up with?

You might get away with that, unless it caused a stampede and someone got hurt. That's a scenario that's been demonstrated to be dangerous, with an individual directly responsible, closer to being like Dr. Kevorkian than some random guy on the internet.
    Hm, i'll take a different approach:

Rammstein - Spring (Jump)

On a bridge, quite high
    A man holds his arms open
    There he stands and still hesitates
    Right away the people swarm in droves
    I won't miss out on it either
    I want to see it up close
    I get into the first row
    And scream

The man wants to climb from the bridge
    The people begin to hate