User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Let's get down to the real issue:

Should there be laws against people manipulating another person to kill commit suicide?

Not that this was the case in this online instance, it doesn't look like it was, but it touches on the issue.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I don't see how the internet is really that much different than real life. If you see someone standing on the wrong side of a bridge's guardrail looking as though they might jump and you have the means to call 911, doing so seems like a reasonable thing to do. If you see someone online with a hand full of pills saying they are going to kill themselves, why would it be a major deal to report them to the forum administrators? It takes all of five minutes. I don't think it's murder not to have done so, but it's pretty callous.
    If he's been standing on that corner for weeks saying "I'm gonna take this bottle of pills, NO RLY" I can imagine people laughing at him.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Some people are assholes, so to act that way to someone they don't care about is reasonable.

You must not be reading the same thread I am. Look at the title.

Synarch: With that idealistic outlook, you're going to be disappointed often.
    When I say expect, I mean this is what standard I hold people to, not what I actually expect them to do.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    No, it doesn't make them reasonable. It makes them assholes.
    Agreed.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    When I say expect, I mean this is what standard I hold people to, not what I actually expect them to do.
    So you and Lat seem to agree: some people are assholes.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Let's get down to the real issue:

Should there be laws against people manipulating another person to kill commit suicide?

Not that this was the case in this online instance, it doesn't look like it was, but it touches on the issue.
    No. But, I don't think we're talking about legality, only what is right and wrong. Ultimately you cannot force me to commit suicide, but that does not mean you are blameless if you try.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    So you and Lat seem to agree: some people are assholes.
    I think we can all agree that some people are assholes, yes?

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    If he's been standing on that corner for weeks saying "I'm gonna take this bottle of pills, NO RLY" I can imagine people laughing at him.
    Yes.

The kid decided to broadcast his suicide on the net. People usually have a basic understanding of how cruel people can be when in anonymous format. Take xbox live and the internet for example. The kid wanted to get people's opinions. Otherwise, he would have went through with it in privacy. He had to be aware there would be negative feedback.

He may have wanted that to reinforce his thoughts. So, he could go through with offing himself.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Yes.

The kid decided to broadcast his suicide on the net. People usually have a basic understanding of how cruel people can be when in anonymous format. Take xbox live and the internet for example. The kid wanted to get people's opinions. Otherwise, he would have went through with it in privacy. He had to be aware there would be negative feedback.

He may have wanted that to reinforce his thoughts so he could go through with offing himself.
    This is all the more reason why we should take such situations seriously. If one person had acted differently, the outcome could have changed. Sure, this guy is a tool. But, he was important to someone. Even if you don't care about him, you should be mindful of the cascade of negative consequences.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Ultimately you cannot force me to commit suicide, but that does not mean you are blameless if you try.
    But the behavior of trying to get someone to kill themselves should be allowed in society, right? No actual formal blame? Just seeing where you're at.