User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Who do you love most in this world? What if they needed help? Then, would you care? What changes in helping one person and not another? The fact that you know them? Arbitrary.

All it takes is the decision to accept that you can influence what happens around you and that everything you do or refrain from doing, is your responsibility. I do not expect people to volunteer at a suicide hotline, but I would expect them to treat threats of suicide seriously and to refrain from trying to egg someone on.
    Im the guy who would tell said "suicidal" individual to stop being an idiot and theres no reason for it. But not unless he asked for my oponion specifically, and yes if it was someone I knew or cared for then yes that does make a difference to me and I would take action in to my own hands to try and stop them.

Do I feel sympathy for strangers who are in the situation there in by their own hand? No, hell no. Do I feel people deserve certain things such as the right to food and health no matter his predicament, yes definitely. But I am not the one to give them these things, I will try my best to make a difference in my area/community and if at all possibly my country or world to make it a better place for all. But am i going to go and just give some bum 5 bucks, no he'll probably blow it on alcohol and thats what i wana blow it on. Now I have before handed a homeless guy on two different occasions food i just bought after realizing I wasnt going to eat it all.

But when someone makes a selfish act of "hey look at me I want sympathy, hey if you dont look at me im gona kill myself, well you know what that its im gona *bang*" If they want to die that bad, ill do it for them. I have no sympathy for these people.

I love the thought of "all for the greater good" kinda shit, but its in the end unrealistic and this is comeing from an idealist who wishes for a world like that. In the end its survival of the fittest.
    SDMF

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Who do you love most in this world? What if they needed help? Then, would you care? What changes in helping one person and not another? The fact that you know them? Arbitrary.
    This argument is hypothetical bullshit. No one has the resources (emotional, financial, temporal, etc) to right every wrong. You have to choose your battles and most people choose to limit those battles to the people they care about because that is what is most practical.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    Basically this whole argument is about the notion of "responsibility."

When I log into the internet I don't expect to become a doctor, or psychiatrist, or even a typology expert. I may have aspirations to do so, but at the end of the day the best I can do is be an armchair one. Suicide is a very serious issue and the responsibility of dealing with an impending one is likewise serious. Forgive me for not willingly embracing such serious responsibility from my computer chair (I don't have an armchair sofa, one of the hassles of having a desktop).
    I don't take issue with that. I take issue with inciting people to commit suicide.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    This argument is hypothetical bullshit. No one has the resources (emotional, financial, temporal, etc) to right every wrong. You have to choose your battles and most people choose to limit those battles to the people they care about because that is what is most practical.
    As I said, I do not expect anyone to volunteer their free time at the suicide hotline, only to treat it as the serious issue it is and to not troll someone into committing suicide if they're vulnerable.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

As I said, I do not expect anyone to volunteer their free time at the suicide hotline, only to treat it as the serious issue it is and to not troll someone into committing suicide if they're vulnerable.
    This still isn't reasonable. You're still expecting people to treat a random stranger with a level of concern that is inconsistent with the audience's investment.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTP

This still isn't reasonable. You're still expecting people to treat a random stranger with a level of concern that is inconsistent with the audience's investment.
    Incorrect. I am expecting everyone to behave like they possess humanity. The way they would if they were not anonymous and therefore accountable. Ultimately, I feel we are accountable, even if only to our own damaged psyches.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

By this logic: if the investment is zero for the random stranger, then ignoring is probably closer to the appropriate response than goading.

Seriously, nobody (even the flippin NFJs) is asking anybody to go join the saints club; all I see here is a charge not to be a jackass. It's pretty daggone simple.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    By this logic: if the investment is zero for the random stranger, then ignoring is probably closer to the appropriate response than goading.
    Some people are assholes, so to act that way to someone they don't care about is reasonable.

Seriously, nobody (even the flippin NFJs) is asking anybody to go join the saints club; all I see here is a charge not to be a jackass. It's pretty daggone simple.
    You must not be reading the same thread I am. Look at the title.

Synarch: With that idealistic outlook, you're going to be disappointed often.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I don't see how the internet is really that much different than real life. If you see someone standing on the wrong side of a bridge's guardrail looking as though they might jump and you have the means to call 911, doing so seems like a reasonable thing to do. If you see someone online with a hand full of pills saying they are going to kill themselves, why would it be a major deal to report them to the forum administrators? It takes all of five minutes. I don't think it's murder not to have done so, but it's pretty callous.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Some people are assholes, so to act that way to someone they don't care about is reasonable.
    No, it doesn't make them reasonable. It makes them assholes.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.