User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Results 91 to 100 of 180

  1. #91
    mountain surfing nomadic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Posts
    1,709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hexis View Post
    Im pretty apathetic to this whole thing.

    People like that who cant even value their own life enough to even attempt suicide might as well just be rounded up and turned into fuel. Their nothing but a hindrance to the rest of society. At least in death they would have some purpose.
    lolz

    i dunno, i still want to know why the guy committed suicide.

    i mean, what if he killed himself over an ex?

    i've had an ex who tried to commit suicide... its a very difficult situation...

  2. #92
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Modern Nomad View Post
    i've had an ex who tried to commit suicide... its a very difficult situation...
    Why would that be difficult?

    I'm having a difficult time understanding why people are manufacturing all of these obligations. I'm pretty explicit with my responsibilities and commitments. I leave very little to be implied (at least I don't think I do). If I have not explicitly made a commitment, then I am not responsible. If one of my ex's tried to commit suicide, it wouldn't have any effect on me. At the termination of those relationships, I was free of all responsibility.

    P.S. My actual delivery isn't as 'robotic' as the thought behind it.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  3. #93
    Senior Member Hexis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    1,442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Modern Nomad View Post
    lolz

    i dunno, i still want to know why the guy committed suicide.

    i mean, what if he killed himself over an ex?

    i've had an ex who tried to commit suicide... its a very difficult situation...
    I understand what your saying, but I just cant have any sympathy for people who cant value their own life. Now of course some people like to justify it by "well they just want attention, they still value their lives they just need others to show them why". My response is *unloads a fucking clip into said parties!!!*...If you need others to show YOU why your life is important then you obviously dont value it. I would like to say Ive had a pretty difficult life, I have friends whose upbringings im envious of, and yes the thought of "just being done with it" has crossed my mind. But then I remember that I like who I am and even if my existence started out poorly, it wont end that way ill make sure of it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Why would that be difficult?

    I'm having a difficult time understanding why people are manufacturing all of these obligations. I'm pretty explicit with my responsibilities and commitments. I leave very little to be implied (at least I don't think I do). If I have not explicitly made a commitment, then I am not responsible. If one of my ex's tried to commit suicide, it wouldn't have any effect on me. At the termination of those relationships, I was free of all responsibility.

    P.S. My actual delivery isn't as 'robotic' as the thought behind it.
    Its just mostly being an ENFP, even if we are the ones to end said relations, unless they ended with both parties hating each other the ENFP involved will still for a long time have an emotional connection to them. This is something that has tooken me many years to overcome. Cause I even think its stupid when I go "well I broke up with my GF cause she cheated on me, but it was good till then...*phone call* Hey hexis your ex just got into a car accident *end phone call* Oh no, what why omg ive got go help/save/rescue/care for her!!!" When what I want to say is "uhh i just opend up a six pack, you mind going and giveing my regards...YES FLIP HER OFF IN THE HOSPITAL! *hangs up*"

    Its just something about being an ENFP we always feel responsible for those we care for. I know sometimes its pretty stupid.
    SDMF

  4. #94
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Why would that be difficult?

    I'm having a difficult time understanding why people are manufacturing all of these obligations. I'm pretty explicit with my responsibilities and commitments. I leave very little to be implied (at least I don't think I do). If I have not explicitly made a commitment, then I am not responsible. If one of my ex's tried to commit suicide, it wouldn't have any effect on me. At the termination of those relationships, I was free of all responsibility.

    P.S. My actual delivery isn't as 'robotic' as the thought behind it.
    I am troubled that concern for others seem to be such an onerous burden. I am also troubled that concern is contingent upon arbitrary distinctions such as relationship status. If you have integrity and self-respect, you will be concerned for others. If you have integrity and self-respect, you will identify with others as individuals who are similar to you. You will develop empathy. And, possessing empathy is not just an NF thing, though some NTP's seem to repudiate it as a personal failing.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  5. #95
    Senior Member Hexis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    1,442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    I am troubled that concern for others seem to be such an onerous burden. I am also troubled that concern is contingent upon arbitrary distinctions such as relationship status. If you have integrity and self-respect, you will be concerned for others. If you have integrity and self-respect, you will identify with others as individuals who are similar to you. You will develop empathy. And, possessing empathy is not just an NF thing, though some NTP's seem to repudiate it as a personal failing.
    It just all comes down to respect, if an individual is so gone/crazy/"suicidal"/stupid that they cant even respect themselves how is it that they are suppose to respect me or anything I value! And if they cant do that, then I have no respect for them and in turn no sympathy.
    SDMF

  6. #96
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hexis View Post
    It just all comes down to respect, if an individual is so gone/crazy/"suicidal"/stupid that they cant even respect themselves how is it that they are suppose to respect me or anything I value! And if they cant do that, then I have no respect for them and in turn no sympathy.
    These are the people who need sympathy the most.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  7. #97
    Senior Member Hexis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    1,442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    These are the people who need sympathy the most.
    See I respect that I kind of thinking, but its not the way I think or ever will. And at the same time I dont like when people try to get me to feel that way, it would be the same if I asked you to stop caring or being sympathetic.

    Thats why theres people like you in the world, cause if everyone felt like I did well hell the world would probably have never gotten this far lol.
    SDMF

  8. #98
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hexis View Post
    See I respect that I kind of thinking, but its not the way I think or ever will. And at the same time I dont like when people try to get me to feel that way, it would be the same if I asked you to stop caring or being sympathetic.

    Thats why theres people like you in the world, cause if everyone felt like I did well hell the world would probably have never gotten this far lol.
    Who do you love most in this world? What if they needed help? Then, would you care? What changes in helping one person and not another? The fact that you know them? Arbitrary.

    All it takes is the decision to accept that you can influence what happens around you and that everything you do or refrain from doing, is your responsibility. I do not expect people to volunteer at a suicide hotline, but I would expect them to treat threats of suicide seriously and to refrain from trying to egg someone on.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  9. #99
    Senior Member Simplexity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,741

    Default

    Basically this whole argument is about the notion of "responsibility."

    When I log into the internet I don't expect to become a doctor, or psychiatrist, or even a typology expert. I may have aspirations to do so, but at the end of the day the best I can do is be an armchair one. Suicide is a very serious issue and the responsibility of dealing with an impending one is likewise serious. Forgive me for not willingly embracing such serious responsibility from my computer chair (I don't have an armchair sofa, one of the hassles of having a desktop).
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

  10. #100
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    I am troubled that concern for others seem to be such an onerous burden. I am also troubled that concern is contingent upon arbitrary distinctions such as relationship status.
    You seemed to be troubled by a lot of things that aren't your concern. And of course my concern is based on relationship status, because I'm only concerned about individuals where I have some sort of investment.

    If you have integrity and self-respect, you will be concerned for others.
    If human #47590023971 bites the dust, I don't care as long as it doesn't have an inordinate negative effect on my life. That is an arbitrary judgment, but one I am comfortable making.

    If you have integrity and self-respect, you will identify with others as individuals who are similar to you. You will develop empathy. And, possessing empathy is not just an NF thing, though some NTP's seem to repudiate it as a personal failing.
    I often have empathy, but rarely do I have sympathy. And that's your assumption here, that empathy automatically leads to sympathy. We should feel sorry for this kid, right? Not a chance.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 03-16-2013, 05:10 AM
  2. Do people try to seem iNtuitive online?
    By Il Morto Che Parla in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 12-15-2012, 11:52 PM
  3. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-07-2009, 02:42 AM
  4. Other People's Kids
    By miss fortune in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 122
    Last Post: 09-20-2008, 01:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO