User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should doctors be able to harvest organs no matter what?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 26.92%
  • No

15 57.69%
  • Sometimes (please tell us!)

1 3.85%
  • I don't know.

1 3.85%
  • I don't care.

1 3.85%
  • I hate polls.

1 3.85%
123 Last

heart on fire

Default Do we have a "right" to the organs of the dead?

I would be against this. What do you think or feel about the issue?

Doctors 'should have the right to remove people's organs after death'
    By FIONA MACRAE - More by this author

MBTI
    INFP

I say, absolutely! The person is Dead. Period. The earth naturally harvests your flesh anyways so why not (either to save a life, conduct research, or even eat)?

I ask anyone whom drinks alcohol or smokes: this is like a free get out of jail card, how could you not pass this up?!

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    I say, absolutely! The person is Dead. Period. The earth naturally harvests your flesh anyways so why not (either to save a life, conduct research, or even eat)?

I ask anyone whom drinks alcohol or smokes: this is like a free get out of jail card, how could you not pass this up?!
    Should your money go to a random stranger when you die? Maybe to the government? It won't matter once you are dead anyway, right...?

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Should your money go to a random stranger when you die? Maybe to the government? It won't matter once you are dead anyway, right...?
    I see your point, but I think it's a little unfair to make a comparison to money. I think it's fair to harvest organs because they are natural. Humans can survive without money.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    I see your point, but I think it's a little unfair to make a comparison to money. I think it's fair to harvest organs because they are natural. Humans can survive without money.
    Well, the point could be made that it takes money as well as organs to save lives. If anything, money could have a larger effect if it was recycled into aid.

In any case, the main point I was going for was the concept of not having choice after death. I agree that an opt-out system would probably saves lives overall... so I'm kind of for that.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

No. If one wanted to see more donation, they should make a reasoned appeal.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Of course idealistically this will always work out with everyone always respecting each other's right to live and to their own body. And in no way will anyone ever be tempted to compromise someone else's survival so that some necessary organs can be harvested...
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Of course idealistically this will always work out with everyone always respecting each other's right to live and to their own body. And in no way will anyone ever be tempted to compromise someone else's survival so that some necessary organs can be harvested...
    No, this would not occur, because if the organs of every suitable cadaver are used then there will be more than enough transplants available, without having to kill the people who are only "half-dead".

So yes, I am for it.

You only have to make sure that there is no "trade" or profit incentive attached to the whole process.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I wouldn't want anyone touching my organs. They'll probably give it to some asshole. (Although I do sometimes wish they saved Hitler's brain, like in that movie -- that would be a fascinating prospect and downright COOL!!!)

But when I die, I want to take everyone else down with me!!!

MBTI
    ISFJ

I keep telling you, we're getting closer and closer to Soylent Green.

The question becomes, is it ethical to assume that a person wants to donate their organ or not? What about their rights to determine the use of their organs on their own without being told they have to exercise this option or the other? This might be a case where popular vote needs to determine what the society determines is the "right" thing to do. What about societal convention against violating the dead? What about that idea that the person needing the organs is simply meant to die? Do we have the right to subvert nature by artificially prolonging their life? Is there a difference between treating an minor illness (like colds, infections), treating major illnesses, (like cancer) and performing organ transplants, which are more invasive?