User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should doctors be able to harvest organs no matter what?

26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 26.92%
  • No

15 57.69%
  • Sometimes (please tell us!)

1 3.85%
  • I don't know.

1 3.85%
  • I don't care.

1 3.85%
  • I hate polls.

1 3.85%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do we have a "right" to the organs of the dead?

heart on fire Array

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Yes, that's exactly what I mean. There is a huge shortage of organs in the world at the moment. Thus there is huge demand with insufficient supply = high value and massive profit. Were we to increase supply substantially we could decrease the financial incentives for improper harvesting accordingly. It makes sense to me. It's not rocket surgery.

There is some truth in that, however there would always be a higher price on organs harvested from healthier donors and from certain genetic types.

One of the issues around the Falun Gong prisoners in China is the fact that they are encouraged to live such "pure" lives and to be alcohol, tobacco free and staying physically fit. It makes their organs more prime than another person who may have abused themselves physically during their lives.

heart on fire Array

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Razor View Post
    Oh and we should also generally ban all "sale" of organs, meaning any exchange of organs for money, and have anyone who does so regardless vivisected without anasthetics, that should sufficiently deter illegal organ trade.
    Right now we have trouble just asking the Chinese to not put poision in toothpaste , I don't see how anyone could keep them from selling the organs of their poitical prisoners.

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    It works both ways - what right does a dead person have over their own body? What right does someone have to forage organs from a dead body?

Neither are true "rights" issues. One assumes the ownership of "resources" goes to their family or something similar... the other assumes ownership ends at death, which allows the body's resources to be used for the benefit of someone else.
    Sounds like another one for the why's and why not's to argue over. Having no specific religious beliefs they can do what they like with mine. I'm only slightly bothered. I just hate it when you get the whinging masses going on and on about their "rights" with no knowledge of what they speak.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?