User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should doctors be able to harvest organs no matter what?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 26.92%
  • No

15 57.69%
  • Sometimes (please tell us!)

1 3.85%
  • I don't know.

1 3.85%
  • I don't care.

1 3.85%
  • I hate polls.

1 3.85%
First 123 Last

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

LOL. It all depends on who's going to stop them. CSI: Graveyard? I don't think people care that much about corpses. Ethically, I think it would be fine to take the deads' organs, and would make the living feel better, if they didn't specifically mention that they'd prefer not to be disemboweled. Otherwise, it's not like the dead are going to care. It's more of a concern of the currently living/not dead yet (but we can always lie to them..).

edit: so yeah, basically i agree with the doctor ppls in the article
    Last edited by niffer; 07-17-2007 at 01:33 AM. Reason: poop
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

The first thing that occurs to me in regard to this thread is what makes people think they have a right to anything? Of course that leads on to the question of what is a "right" in this context?

Personally I'd like to bludgeon every last "rights" person over the head with the word "Negotiation" made from some hard plastic or perhaps carbon fibre composite.

Some tell me that rights are the sign of culture. That without rights and such you get anarchy. I tend to look at this mass swarm of people claiming their "rights" as just a group of bullies. No more impressive and no less cowardly.

Question. By what "right" do people claim all these things as "rights" when all it does is extend their existence? When did extension of natural lifespan (including the nasty things like disease and such) become something a person could be entitled to? Most of all there is the question of how much is enough? To what lengths will we go to provide for this "right" and how long should we extend peoples lifespans before it's considered unethical?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    To what lengths will we go to provide for this "right" and how long should we extend peoples lifespans before it's considered unethical?
    It works both ways - what right does a dead person have over their own body? What right does someone have to forage organs from a dead body?

Neither are true "rights" issues. One assumes the ownership of "resources" goes to their family or something similar... the other assumes ownership ends at death, which allows the body's resources to be used for the benefit of someone else.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

A strange thing I have is that I wouldn't mind someone digging up my corpse and using it for interior decoration or intercourse and whatnot. But when it comes using my organs to saving the life of someone I don't know and don't care about, I would be quite pissed, because as I said, I take others down with me.

When you get your driver's license, you have the option to donate your parts. If the applicant chooses "No," then the parts should not be donated.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think that it's morally unjustifiable to desecrate someone's body to harvest their organs against their will, because I feel that a person has a right to decide what happens to their remains after their passing. Especially when you consider their religious beliefs, their stances on organ transplants, etc.

(And yes, I know what Uberfuhrer thinks this makes me for respecting the dead, but since no one else sees it that way, his opinion doesn't matter to me.)

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    A strange thing I have is that I wouldn't mind someone digging up my corpse and using it for interior decoration or intercourse and whatnot. But when it comes using my organs to saving the life of someone I don't know and don't care about, I would be quite pissed, because as I said, I take others down with me.
    That IS strange.

I can definitely say you are unlike anyone else I have ever met. (I'm still trying to decide whether that is a good thing or a bad thing.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP

I don't have a problem with organs being harvested after death regardless of consent. I would hope that the process would be done in such a way as to not be visible during an open-casket funeral for obvious reasons. I don't think there would be a huge concern about this practice leading to people getting killed early for organs. If anything, making organ 'donation' mandatory would undermine the need for or profitability of such tactics.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    I I don't think there would be a huge concern about this practice leading to people getting killed early for organs. If anything, making organ 'donation' mandatory would undermine the need for or profitability of such tactics.
    You mean the claims made by some that repeated Apnoea testing itself may lead to early brain death or the claims that brain injury patients might be given high doses of phentolamine mesylate by allegedly over aggressive organ harvest teams before brain death was declared to keep blood pressure high to preserve organs, but could cause death itself? Is this the sort of early death you mean? Or do you mean the Chinese selling organs harvested from political prisoners?

For the right genetics at the right time, the fears would not seem to decrease for those who are concerned about such abuses.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    You mean the claims made by some that repeated Apnoea testing itself may lead to early brain death or the claims that brain injury patients might be given high doses of phentolamine mesylate by allegedly over aggressive organ harvest teams before brain death was declared to keep blood pressure high to preserve organs, but could cause death itself? Is this the sort of early death you mean? Or do you mean the Chinese selling organs harvested from political prisoners?
    Yes, that's exactly what I mean. There is a huge shortage of organs in the world at the moment. Thus there is huge demand with insufficient supply = high value and massive profit. Were we to increase supply substantially we could decrease the financial incentives for improper harvesting accordingly. It makes sense to me. It's not rocket surgery.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Yes, that's exactly what I mean. There is a huge shortage of organs in the world at the moment. Thus there is huge demand with insufficient supply = high value and massive profit. Were we to increase supply substantially we could decrease the financial incentives for improper harvesting accordingly. It makes sense to me. It's not rocket surgery.
    Oh and we should also generally ban all "sale" of organs, meaning any exchange of organs for money, and have anyone who does so regardless vivisected without anasthetics, that should sufficiently deter illegal organ trade.