User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFP

I clicked the link but didn't get any story.
    "No one can be free of the chains that surround them"

MBTI
    INTP

Try this link ... there was some extra syntax in the original.

wcbstv.com - Cops: Iraq-Bound Soldier Hires Hitman To Shoot Him

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
    Try this link ... there was some extra syntax in the original.

wcbstv.com - Cops: Iraq-Bound Soldier Hires Hitman To Shoot Him

Thanks Nighthawk.

I really don't know what to say about this, I get where he is coming from, but why would a person who wasn't able to handle it even join the army in the first place?

It seems ironic to some extent that in order to avoid pain he used pain.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
    Thanks Nighthawk.

I really don't know what to say about this, I get where he is coming from, but why would a person who wasn't able to handle it even join the army in the first place?

It seems ironic to some extent that in order to avoid pain he used pain.
    How would you know before you joined whether or not you could handle it?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    How would you know before you joined whether or not you could handle it?
    I know I couldn't handle it, seems kind of obvious to me, I don't like killing people nor do I want to die at the hands of an enemy soldier.

It's like that saying "It's a dirty job but someone's got to do it", well I already know I don't want to be the one that does it.

I see your point though, he went once, made it through and couldn't face returning, but to go to the extremes of hiring a hitman to shoot him so that he didn't have to? that's just bizzarre? (bad spelling?)

Didn't another soldier just decide to say no and face court marshal instead?

MBTI
    INTP

One of my soldiers shot himself in the foot to prevent being deployed to Iraq in the first gulf war. They put a cast on him and made him go anyway. Once over there, he promptly went to the Fleet Hospital and claimed he was loony ... so they sent him back home.

It was peacetime when he volunteered for the army (as a way to pay for school) and he probably wasn't expecting ever having to fight. Of course, it is different nowadays as the writing is on the wall.

Having been over there, I can certainly understand where he is coming from. I wouldn't want to go back either ... especially for something as questionable as what we are doing over there now ... and definitely because of the small minority of people (active duty army and reservists) who are repeatedly sharing the burden of the war while the rest of the country has no responsiblity. Some have been over there 4-5 times already, as the article below depicts.

Reservist Fighting Fifth War Call-Up

It is virtually impossible to get any sort of a life going when they keep sending you over there. Many of the reservists give up education, homes and families ... not to mention the dangers they face in the zone. Our president wants to fight this war on the cheap ... without a draft ... and is completely wringing out the military to do it. Not that I am for a draft, mind you, but we don't have the manpower to do what we are trying to do over there.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
    ... especially for something as questionable as what we are doing over there now ...
    Yeah I can agree with that, I guess had it been a cause he felt fighting was worth, or a cause that any of us thought was worth it, then this act might be a bit more craven, but with what the war stands for I can understand why so many don't want to go back.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Reenlistment is high, recruitment (but for the Army, here and there) surpasses goals. Some of the highest reenlistment rates are among units serving in Iraq.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    Reenlistment is high, recruitment (but for the Army, here and there) surpasses goals. Some of the highest reenlistment rates are among units serving in Iraq.
    Do you have any sources for this? I'd be interested in reading further about it. I'm glad that the professional core is staying intact. It will be quite professional indeed after experiencing the crucible in Iraq for all these years (and years to come). I still fear however, that the numbers are too small and that our military (and reserves/national guard) are being taxed to the limit.