User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
    Do you have any sources for this? I'd be interested in reading further about it.
    Recruitment goals are reported every now and then in the sources I read, and again, with some fluctuation the numbers are stable. There was an NCO retention publication from May that corroborated one aspect of claims about reenlistment.

I'm glad that the professional core is staying intact. It will be quite professional indeed after experiencing the crucible in Iraq for all these years (and years to come). I still fear however, that the numbers are too small and that our military (and reserves/national guard) are being taxed to the limit.
    Since I have no military background I address the subject broadly -- so on the finer points of logistics and strategy therefrom, I defer to servicemen who present the strongest argument. Still, I believe that tactics and strategies drawn from experience in these engagements -- ones that the American administrations could not, for thirty years after Vietnam, will themselves to enter in earnest -- are worth the hardships.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    Still, I believe that tactics and strategies drawn from experience in these engagements -- ones that the American administrations could not, for thirty years after Vietnam, will themselves to enter in earnest -- are worth the hardships.
    I still subscribe to a professional journal from my time in uniform, called Armor Magazine, which relates a wealth of tactical experience the Army is gaining in Iraq. Each month's publication contains new lessons learned and old lessons relearned.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

It's appreciated, Nighthawk. Thank you.

MBTI
    INTP

Johnny Rico, in Blood Makes the Grass Grow Green:

I'm going to miss out on my life.

...I hate to feel this way -- that serving my country will have been the worst mistake of my life -- but if I get kept an additional two years beyond when I was supposed to have been let go, it will have become exactly that. I don't want to regret serving America. But with all the hard work I put into creating a career, crafting my little niche in the world, and obtaining an education, I can't afford to take a five-year detour.

...This is my advice to the youth of America: Don't serve. You'll regret it if you have anything else you want to do with your life. And the three-year contract you're going to sign? Read the fine print; they can keep you as long as they want.

"I don't want to regret serving America." That saddens and angers me. Bush and his cronies are killing the ideal of public service. Damn Bush and his vanity war.

MBTI
    INFP

Just wanted to make a few points...

The reason a soldier would choose to take a bullet rather than allow himself to get court marshalled? Getting shot would involve a period of physical pain and inconvenience. Getting court marshalled would ruin your military and civilian career.

Retention and re-enlistment is probably getting good numbers right now because the military, especially the branches suffering the most (U.S. Marine Corps and Army), are pulling out all the stops in order to keep people in. I know certain MOS' in the Marine Corps are offering $60,000+ bonuses. I work with Combat Camera Marines and their re-enlistment bonus has been raised to $26,000. In my lifetime of experience with the military (dad's a retired Marine), I have never heard of such high bonuses...ever. And people are re-enlisting overseas because it's non-taxable income.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    How would you know before you joined whether or not you could handle it?
    I know I was thinking that to. I was seriously recently contemplating joining the British Army. However, I wasn't too worried about going out to Iraq and fighting I was more worried about what would the other troops think of a Muslim being around. Although, I was also thinking mentally I am a strong person, however if something really terrifying happened in a situation where I wasn't sure and the enemy was hiding inside civilian population, and there was a chance I'd ad up shooting and killing an innocent person, I'd rather run then open fire.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Cindyrella View Post
    Just wanted to make a few points...

The reason a soldier would choose to take a bullet rather than allow himself to get court marshalled? Getting shot would involve a period of physical pain and inconvenience. Getting court marshalled would ruin your military and civilian career.
    Thanks Cindyrella, I missed this post, I didn't know the ins and outs of what happens with a court marshall.

However on a personal note, i would much rather take the court marshall option, and stand up for what I believe in, which this soldier actually wasn't prepared to do.

What would have happened when he healed from the gun shot? would he then have been able to retire from the American army, or would he still have been under the risk of being sent back, or perhaps even being sent on to fight in Iran when that happens?

On the other hand a court marshall is a guarantee that like you said his career would be over with the army for sure, so no more risk of being sent fight in wars he does not support and found out he could not handle.
    "No one can be free of the chains that surround them"