User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

Results 81 to 90 of 108

  1. #81
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Do you think people who say "it's pointless to die for your country" would also say "it's pointless to die for your values and/or things you hold dear"? Because it doesn't seem that way, unless I'm making an unfair assumption.

    Maybe the split happens mostly when your "country" contains values and/or dearly held people that you can't relate to, from being either too different from your own or just too varied among themselves.
    Good point. I definitely envision America as the (imperfect) embodiment of values and principles that I hold dear. Because of this (as well as more primitive reasons, such as basic emotional attachment and identification), I would certainly like to think that I would die for my country if the situation warranted it, but I have never been in such a situation, so I couldn't say.

    As far as "my country right or wrong" is concerned, I think its pretty much a strawman.

  2. #82
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,667

    Default

    Then what about this part of my post, which I had thought was more on-topic? I was trying to relate your post to the OP, in fact.

    Quote:
    From your post, it sounds like you are asking the general question, "Why do people die for such arbitrary things as 'countries'?", which is related to your recent thread in this forum.
    What are you actually asking here?

  3. #83
    IRL is not real Cimarron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Posts
    3,424

    Default

    Well, first of all, I say "it sounds like", but I'm not sure--was my guess correct? And if the answer is yes, that's what I've been talking about with EffemDoubleYou in posts above.
    Last edited by Cimarron; 11-16-2008 at 12:18 PM. Reason: sounds better
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

  4. #84
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,667

    Default

    If you want opinion on this, then I will say "To die for a country is equal to sacrificing yourself to a spaghetti monster".


    Your guess is correct.

  5. #85
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    If you want opinion on this, then I will say "To die for a country is equal to sacrificing yourself to a spaghetti monster".


    Your guess is correct.

  6. #86
    IRL is not real Cimarron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Posts
    3,424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    If you want opinion on this, then I will say "To die for a country is equal to sacrificing yourself to a spaghetti monster".


    Your guess is correct.
    But then what about that conversation I had above with EffemDoubleYou? Mainly, what would you say is the difference between "dying for your country" and "dying for something/someone you believe in"? People almost always say the 2nd choice is a good one, but not always the 1st choice. Fundamentally, what makes one more ridiculous than the other, except for a person's subjective preference?
    Last edited by Cimarron; 11-16-2008 at 02:34 PM. Reason: question mark, not period
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

  7. #87
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,667

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    +
    I don't know about smilie but to me EU is a shot in a good direction.
    What you probably already know.

  8. #88
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,667

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    But then what about that conversation I had above with EffemDoubleYou? Mainly, what would you say is the difference between "dying for your country" and "dying for something/someone you believe in"? People almost always say the 2nd choice is a good one, but not always the 1st choice. Fundamentally, what makes one more ridiculous than the other, except for a person's subjective preference?

    That is because I think that both options are BS.


    The point is that a guy on other side dies for his country and his conviction.

  9. #89
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I don't know about smilie but to me EU is a shot in a good direction.
    What you probably already know.
    Yes I know. Hence the smiley, you're basically the EU counterpart to an American patriotard

  10. #90
    IRL is not real Cimarron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Posts
    3,424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    That is because I think that both options are BS.
    Then I like that you have consistency on this.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Similar Threads

  1. Judging others and its rightness or wrongness
    By danseen in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-30-2013, 09:02 AM
  2. Telling others what is right or wrong
    By Nonsensical in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 07-25-2010, 05:22 PM
  3. Right or left brain?
    By white in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-14-2009, 03:08 AM
  4. [ISTJ] ISTJs and being good at distinguishing right and wrong and enforcing it
    By swordpath in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-04-2008, 08:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO