User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Sniffles

I actually read Victor's post, and now I must lament the fact that I'll never get those 30 seconds back.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

The conservatives who've been pulling the "anti-American" card for the past 8 years better watch their mouths for the next 4 (probably 8) years with the new, further-Left leaning, Democrat lead government.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I understand the argument about the influence of the US around the world, I do. But the fact remains that when we vote in an election for our leader, we have to choose who is best for us. (In the case of this election, our interests intersected with the interests of the world at large, but that's just happenstance.) His charge is to serve the interests of the citizens of the US, not the citizens of the world. Ideally, those interests are not at odds, but sometimes they are. What would be said if I urged Australians to vote for a particular candidate in their elections because he pledged to reduce tariffs on goods from the US? I'm fairly sure that most Australians would tell me to mind my business. And why would they? Because I'm not concerned with how their own election affects them, just with how it affects me. Don't get me wrong, I think we can (and should) learn things from our neighbors around the world. I don't think we have all the answers. I just think that if someone holds an opinion on an election in a country they are not a citizen of, that opinion is likely to be serving different interests than the electorate of the country in question.

I share your view of the world, in that we are all in this together. It's truer every day. And I feel a responsibility to fellow humans of any nationality. But that's a personal responsibility, not a responsibility as an American. When there is an election for President of Earth, I will happily vote with the entire world's interests at heart.
    Really good post! And I don't see how Bluebell's argument replaces what he said above. It sounds almost like they're just arguing about different sentiments more than different actions.
    Last edited by Cimarron; 11-15-2008 at 06:51 AM. Reason: I read both sides, of course
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    The conservatives who've been pulling the "anti-American" card for the past 8 years better watch their mouths for the next 4 (probably 8) years with the new, further-Left leaning, Democrat lead government.
    What it's now the Democrats' turn to play that card?

They're certainly going to be backed into corner if Obama decides to expand the war in Afghanistan by bombing parts of Pakistan.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    What it's now the Democrats' turn to play that card?

They're certainly going to be backed into corner if Obama decides to expand the war in Afghanistan by bombing parts of Pakistan.
    Most liberals and Democrats probably wouldn't use that rhetorical tactic. I wouldn't.

Sniffles

Most liberals and Democrats probably wouldn't use that rhetorical tactic. I wouldn't.
    True, since the concept of patriotism and country doesn't mean shit to them. Republicans are basically the same too, they just give lip service to patriotism.

They're more Patriotards than actual patriots.

MBTI
    INTP

True, since the concept of patriotism and country doesn't mean shit to them.[/URL]
    If "Dissent is the highest form of patriotism" then the Left in America has been doing it's part for the past 8 years.

Sniffles

If "Dissent is the highest form of patriotism" then the Left in America has been doing it's part for the past 8 years.
    Pfft....Hardly. The Democrats became big-time Patriotards after September 11th, and even gave Bush the power to go to war in Iraq. Whetever dissent has been more about mere tactical party-politics than actual principles. Just like th Republicans played the dissenters game under Clinton.

Althought granted, there were elements of the Left that have engaged in serious dissent over the past 8 years. Yet it may also surprise you to know that so have elements of the Right. So much so they were even denounced as "Unpatriotic Conservatives" by the mainstream Right.

You might find their commentaries rather interesting. Two major online sources for the dissenting Right are:
    The American Conservative
    Antiwar.com

MBTI
    INTP

Pfft....Hardly. The Democrats became big-time Patriotards after September 11th, and even gave Bush the power to go to war in Iraq. Whetever dissent has been more about mere tactical party-politics than actual principles. Just like th Republicans played the dissenters game under Clinton.

Althought granted, there were elements of the Left that have engaged in serious dissent over the past 8 years. Yet it may also surprise you to know that so have elements of the Right. So much so they were even denounced as "Unpatriotic Conservatives" by the mainstream Right.

You might find their commentaries rather interesting. Two major online sources for the dissenting Right are:
    The American Conservative
    Antiwar.com
    Wasn't really talking just about Democratic politicians, but everyone on the Left..

There's been very much real dissent out of the Left in America during the Bush administration.

Sniffles

Wasn't really talking just about Democratic politicians, but everyone on the Left..

There's been very much real dissent out of the Left in America during the Bush administration.
    I just admitted in the post you quoted that legitimate dissent did exist on the Left, just not within the Democratic Party. And I also pointed to the fact that legitimate dissent also existed on the Right.

An example of this would be Doug Bandow's "The Conservative Case Against George W. Bush".