User Tag List

123 Last

heart on fire

Default Limit families to two children?

Too big for the planet?

Quote: Having more than two children is bad for the environment, a new report says. But are large families really that damaging? Joanna Moorhead asks three of them to make their case

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My opinion: I think if people can adequately care for and provide for more than two children, they should not feel some need to limit the number of children they have.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I think in most developed countries, they are having problems with low-birthrates. It is primarily immigrants from developing countries that are driving birthrates up in developed countries, but they need the immigrants for the workforce because of their own low birthrates. If I remember correctly, in France they are giving women incentives to have a third child.

I, personally like having a big family and don't feel bad about it because there are so many people who aren't having any kids at all. We don't drive a huge SUV and are pretty thrifty overall, so I don't think we are having an exceptionally large impact on the environment.

I think if we want to deal with overpopulation, the best thing to do is help developing nations with developing. When that happens, then their birthrates will go down.

Of course development comes with it's own environmental problems, so who knows?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    It is primarily immigrants from developing countries that are driving birthrates up in developed countries, but they need the immigrants for the workforce because of their own low birthrates.
    I theorize that this is because of retirement plans. I haven't made a study of this to any real depth, but it seems like the birth rate is directly related to the level of (financial) security one can expect in old age.

This does follow naturally from the generalised social rule that we see in poorer counties. I imagine it isn't quite as cut and dry as that, having a lot to do with mortality rates and the like as well.

To generalise my objective theory, since I'm starting to lean toward Idiocracy in many ways, I believe that those that are in the upper benchmarks of certain attributes should have more kids than those that don't. My subjective view is that you should have as many kids as you can afford... or are able to sustain, anyway.

MBTI
    type

I think iNtuitives should breed with each other, sort of a type-based eugenics program.

That being said -- and Cafe & Gruffy are the only pair who are complying -- I think it's impossible to enforce a birth limit. Even in China, where there is a limit, people are breaking the law.

I'm with Heart -- if you can afford them, you're reasonably stable, and you both want them, have as many of them as you want.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    I theorize that this is because of retirement plans. I haven't made a study of this to any real depth, but it seems like the birth rate is directly related to the level of (financial) security one can expect in old age.
    There's also a big link to the status of women in the country and to overall education levels, which do seem to be reasonably well-documented
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    To generalise my objective theory, since I'm starting to lean toward Idiocracy in many ways, I believe that those that are in the upper benchmarks of certain attributes should have more kids than those that don't. . .
    I am curious about what those benchmarks are.

MBTI
    INTj

If families were limited to two children, I would love to sell my two off to the highest bidder.

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    If families were limited to two children, I would love to sell my two off to the highest bidder.
    PM Ivy.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post

Yes, after that we can begin bids on mine.

On the topic though, I was under the impression that the average western family was already only having 2 children, and that the 4 upwards was minority ethnic groups, or other countries.
    "No one can be free of the chains that surround them"

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
    On the topic though, I was under the impression that the average western family was already only having 2 children, and that the 4 upwards was minority ethnic groups, or other countries.
    I think you're right. Here's a graphic and countries by birth rate (from wikipedia, so we know it's absolutely 100 % reliable ).