User Tag List

First 234

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

I don't mind being called anything but negative racial slurs. Black is a widely accepted term for African Americans/Americanized African descendants, and I don't have problems with it except it seems almost dumb to be called by a color that doesn't ACTUALLY describe your skin tone (as I am more of a brown than black :/ ) but it's not a big deal I guess. Equally... incorrect is calling Mexicans brown people. But, it doesn't offend me to be called black. I know humans will always seek words to classify things and group things/people.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    I don't mind being called anything but negative racial slurs. Black is a widely accepted term for African Americans/Americanized African descendants, and I don't have problems with it except it seems almost dumb to be called by a color that doesn't ACTUALLY describe your skin tone (as I am more of a brown than black :/ ) but it's not a big deal I guess. Equally... incorrect is calling Mexicans brown people. But, it doesn't offend me to be called black. I know humans will always seek words to classify things and group things/people.
    and yet we aren't exactly white either

whatever works though
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    and yet we aren't exactly white either
    Exactly.

MBTI
    INFP

I tend to think she was just unaware of the negative connotations of the word. $50 says she will soon discover a black BFF if this controversy stirs up.

As for the term, I've never heard it used in Australia. I've mostly heard it used in South Africa, where it's openly used of people who are of mixed descent. Blacks, whites and coloreds. I'm really unsure of why we should entirely abandon "negro" and "negroid" when speaking of a specific race though. "Black" is very unspecific (Australian aboriginals are black, for instance, but a different race entirely) and "African" isn't much better since there are so many people on that continent who aren't black. Or is speaking of a race in itself a bad thing to do?