User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    And on the African American comment...I know multiple people from Africa (one being my roommate) and they are generally all surprised by our calling black people African American.
    I find this interesting.. I've never actually gone up and polled anyone on whether they think similar to the way I do on the subject.. Ty for the input. ^_^b
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    A distracting news item is needed for a slow news day?
    I don't know, I've been kind of disturbed at the amount of celebrity or "entertainment" news on news channels, even if it's not a slow news day.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    That's somewhat the point I was trying to make above; we're not living in those times - which defeats any real point in being that sensitive about it. \
    Most of us aren't living in those times.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Most of us aren't living in those times.
    Yes, which proves my point.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Yes, which proves my point.
    If racism wasn't still an issue today, using the word, not knowing it can offend, wouldn't be as big of an issue.

What's your position on using the N word? Should black people have no reason to be offended or sensitive about a non-black person using the word?

Reigning Bologna Princess Rajah's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

I watched the video three times, and I'm still not hearing "colored." "Good," yes, but not "colored."

It was so mumbled, though, it's impossible to know for sure what she said...

I... suppose. Yeah!

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    If racism wasn't still an issue today, using the word, not knowing it can offend, wouldn't be as big of an issue.
    That's built upon the assumption that racism is as big an issue today as it used to be. I think it is, but not in the way it's commonly presented.

Linda Chavez's "Let Us by All Means Have an Honest Conversation about Race" certainly exposes much of what I'm talking about here:
    "According to virtually every survey of racial attitudes taken over the last several decades, only about 10 percent of whites report generally unfavorable views of blacks. In a 2007 Pew Research Center poll, the relevant figure stood at 8 percent—lower, interestingly enough, than the percentage of blacks reporting similarly negative views of their fellow blacks.

Because of the nation’s rapidly changing demography, the whole issue of race and ethnicity in America has become much more complicated and variegated. One thing remains clear, though: in surveys assessing racial attitudes among all groups, non-whites display consistently less favorable attitudes toward each other and toward whites than whites display toward blacks and other minority groups. One such survey, taken in the mid-1990’s, found blacks and Hispanics significantly more likely than whites to regard Asians as hostile to non-Asians and as “crafty in business,” while both Asians and Hispanics were likelier than whites to think that blacks “like living on welfare” and “can’t get ahead on their own.” Nor have inter-minority stereotypes changed much since then. A 2007 poll found that a plurality of blacks would rather do business with whites than with either Hispanics or Asians...."
    In fact the issue of deep-seated anti-White bigotry that exists within many significant portions of the Black community was never really addressed in light of the controversy surrounding Reverend Wright.

I certainly see manifestations of this attitude quite frequently in my area. There are Black neighborhoods that if any White person ventures into in certain hours of the day, they're good as dead. Not only that, the Black political leadership is constantly blaming whitey for their problems. And that's only the tip of the iceberg.

What's your position on using the N word? Should black people have no reason to be offended or sensitive about a non-black person using the word?
    They use it themselves. Besides, there's more urgent matters facing the Black community than people using the N word.

MBTI
    ENTP

"My dad, for example, he's not as cosmopolitan or as educated as me and it can be embarrassing you know. He doesn't understand all the new trendy words - like he'll say 'poofs' instead of 'gays', 'birds' instead of 'women', 'darkies' instead of 'coloreds'."
    I don't wanna!

I'm not black, so let that inform my opinion, but I think "colored" is more of an anachronistic term than an offensive one. I've never understood why "people of color" and "National Association for the Advancement of Colored People" were okay, but "colored" wasn't. Yeah, it might be more loaded, but look at the word. I'd say that Lohan's remark was dumb, but not necessarily racist. I also think she was probably caught off-guard. I think the fallout from this episode is yet one more example of the great American pastime of striving to be the most offended and put-upon ethnic group.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ESFJ

At least she didn't decry the election of our first colored president. That WOULD have sounded racist.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"