User Tag List

First 123

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Modern Nomad View Post
    if he/she died protecting the country for a just cause, and he/she knew what that cause was, then thats fine.

but if he/she died for what they believed was a just cause, but later it turned out to be a self serving lie made by the commander, (i.e. he died on a mission to disarm a nuclear weapon factory, but in reality some nuclear weapon producer lobbied congress to get rid of that factory so that company had less competition and got more money to become a monopoly), then I would have to kill the lying perpetrator. its only right.
    Or died in a bombing of a "nerve agent plant" that was actually an aspirin factory?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I'd hate it if my child were to die in a War. War is so stupid.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENTP

Pf. No flag in this world is worth dying.
    5w4 - Idiosyncratic/Leisurely/Dramatic
    It's the devil's way now.

Forgive me for taking liberties, as this is a hybrid response connecting the Poetry Thread, this thread, and my "blogetry."

A Flag For A Son

Pushing for 18 hours was just the start
    of my labors; then
    18 years
    so he could push too.

I thought the military would do
    for him what I could
    not
    and they pushed him too.

So he learned to push on
    too hard, himself, his brothers
    his enemies--
    they pushed too.

But he did better,
    Daisies, "Dandies", and Kentucky
    Blue.

"The government's apologies ma'am.
    We thank your son for pushing on,
    for pushing through
    like you"

And that is how you
    get a flag
    for a son: push 18 years
    too soon.
    -------------------------------------

Official response: I would be devastated and transform my grief into positive change with a cause relevant to the circumstances.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INFP

In a perfect world the people who wanted to fight wars could go fight them and leave the others to work for peaceful co-existence.

It's worthy to note that many of the political hawks who make the decisions to fight tend to have offspring who, by some quirk of fate, aren't the children who have to go fight them. What does that say?

The words "No kid of mine is going to be cannon fodder." come to mind.

The war machine preys upon the sense of invulnerability and macho confidence of the young who are reduced to ashes emotionally on the battleground and carry damage for the remainder of their lives. And more sadly, bring it back into home society which is deeply affected by it both financially and emotionally.

According to accounts of paramedics I've read, do you know what the most common cry of the wounded and dying on the battlefield is?

"Mother!"

Gives one pause for thought. . .

As a mother I've had to consider this question and came to the conclusion that if either of my children wanted to be a soldier I would talk to them about my feelings about it. Then I would support them one-hundred percent.

To lose a child to a war he didn't want to fight would be tragic. To lose a child to a decision he made as an adult would be painful but not leave the bitter resentment to deal with.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Or died in a bombing of a "nerve agent plant" that was actually an aspirin factory?
    I'm going to comment, but ugh I recall that. Epic fail.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INFP

iwakar, that gave me goosebumps. Bittersweet.

Thank you.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w3 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp

I believe I would mourn terribly over such a thing. If they did what they felt was right and died for what they believed in, whether I believe them to be correct or not, I would honor them. I believe I would never get over the loss, and would never wish to do so in entirety. That would have been my baby. Of course I would be angry at the government and branch that they had entered into. Life is precious. And, to me at least, war is absolutely sickening and heart-wrenching.
    I have no idea who I am. All I can say is let's rock hard.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Was that the one in Sudan a few years ago? The transparant lies about why they did it annoyed the hell out of me at the time, but I don't remember hearing an actual confirmation of their evil. Maybe I don't follow the news enough any more...