User Tag List

First 12345 Last

See edit ^

And it is awesome how gays saw california as a safe haven from discrimination and then we turned our back on them, now they have nowhere to go. Where exactly can they get married now?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Yes, it is. That is why we have 50 separate states. The choice of where you want to live and under what laws is given to you by the existence of 50 individual states. No, I don't think a ban on interracial marriage was good, but it wasn't a federal law or a law in every state either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Didums View Post
    So if you don't like the laws, spend money moving? Majority rules, so if you don't like what they want, then stfu or gtfo?
    I'm not talking about what "is", I'm saying that discrimination should be illegal everywhere. It doesn't matter that there's some states where the discrimination does not exist, it's still a part of our country as a whole. How do you think black and homosexual people feel when they're living in a nation which allows its governments to needlessly harm and discriminate them? And the argument of "if you don't like it, move" is just a completely shitty one in general. Ever heard of a little thing called pursuit of happiness? That's kind of restricted when you're told that you have to either move or be banned from marrying who you love, simply because people who you've never even seen have some sort of problem with you.

I was being sarcastic

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    I'm not talking about what "is", I'm saying that discrimination should be illegal everywhere. It doesn't matter that there's some states where the discrimination does not exist, it's still a part of our country as a whole. How do you think black and homosexual people feel when they're living in a nation which allows its governments to needlessly harm and discriminate them? And the argument of "if you don't like it, move" is just a completely shitty one in general. Ever heard of a little thing called pursuit of happiness? That's kind of restricted when you're told that you have to either move or be banned from marrying who you love, simply because people who you've never even seen have some sort of problem with you.
    Thats the way it is dude. Be thankful that you live in a nation where you do have the freedom to fight for what you believe in, and to fight for what YOU think is right and just. Just know that others will have their own views and will also put up a fight. The fact the we have the right to do this is a blessed thing. You may fight and fight and fight for YEARS to eventually get what you want. Even if you do win over a majority to your side in favor of gay marriage, the battle still wont be over. A battle such as this will never end until (God I say this a lot) the beliefs, morals, and social order of the country as a whole has completely changed. Until that day (if the day comes), if gay marriage is what you want, I predict you will be fighting over it for quite some time because there will always be the opposing side that has the right to craft their own laws and rights as they see fit, just as you are rightfully trying to do.

With that said, the issue is really starting to grow really old on me, really fast.

Yep, the issue is much too old, obviously church should be connected to government, rights should not be equal for all, and the uneducated and ignorant majority rules. The people who do not understand the role of government are the ones that are rightfully entitled to dictate the rules.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Thats the way it is dude. Be thankful that you live in a nation where you do have the freedom to fight for what you believe in, and to fight for what YOU think is right and just. Just know that others will have their own views and will also put up a fight. The fact the we have the right to do this is a blessed thing. You may fight and fight and fight for YEARS to eventually get what you want. Even if you do win over a majority to your side in favor of gay marriage, the battle still wont be over. A battle such as this will never end until (God I say this a lot) the beliefs, morals, and social order of the country as a whole has completely changed. Until that day (if the day comes), if gay marriage is what you want, I predict you will be fighting over it for quite some time because there will always be the opposing side that has the right to craft their own laws and rights as they see fit, just as you are rightfully trying to do.
    I'm all for freedoms that don't impede the rights of others to live happily. However, freedoms which cause harm to other people (rape and murder are extreme examples of this) shouldn't be up to the public to decide whether they should be legal or not. Therefore, people shouldn't be free to vote on preventing two people from getting married. Gay or interracial marriage harms no one, but banning that marriage does harm people, and so it shouldn't be something which is up to the public. Stuff like where and how to direct funds? Yes, that should be up for vote. Dictating people's harmless lifestyle choices? No.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Didums View Post
    Yep, the issue is much too old, obviously church should be connected to government, rights should not be equal for all, and the uneducated and ignorant majority rules. The people who do not understand the role of government are the ones that are rightfully entitled to dictate the rules.
    So everyone who voted for prop 8 is uneducated and ignorant?

So everyone who voted for prop 8 is uneducated and ignorant?
    Ignorant of what they were voting for, and uneducated in the nature of homosexuality and the role of government in society. Satisfied?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    I'm all for freedoms that don't impede the rights of others to live happily. However, freedoms which cause harm to other people (rape and murder are extreme examples of this) shouldn't be up to the public to decide whether they should be legal or not. Therefore, people shouldn't be free to vote on preventing two people from getting married. Gay or interracial marriage harms no one, but banning that marriage does harm people, and so it shouldn't be something which is up to the public. Stuff like where and how to direct funds? Yes, that should be up for vote. Dictating people's harmless lifestyle choices? No.
    Yes it is up to the public to decide, because in something like RAPE, if the majority of the public would vote to say that rape is legal in the first place, then I guaranteed you'd see a lot of it whether its deemed legal or not because the majority of the public would still want rape. Fortunately, that's not REALITY.

Like I said, eternal struggle of a purely social issue.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Yes it is up to the public to decide, because in something like RAPE, if the majority of the public would vote to say that rape is legal in the first place, then I guaranteed you'd see a lot of it whether its deemed legal or not because the majority of the public still wants rape. Fortunately, that's not REALITY.

Like I said, eternal struggle of a purely social issue.
    Ironically, I'm betting that the majority of Americans would disagree with you on that (when concerning rape, at least). But I guess that's a different thread.