User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Default Palin for president in 2012?

Thoughts?

I thought she was completely unqualified to run for 2008. Yet, her ability to become fluent in global politics and important issues enough to hold her own in the VP debate in such a short time was impressive. She seems like a quick learner.

If they groom her to run for 2012, I think I'd be willing to give her a very through re-evaluation. She seems like she has the brains and social skills that, if trained by the experts, she could potentially be a respectable candidate.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

No, she ruined her chances. It doesn't matter what 'talent' she may actually possess- she showed a lack of it in the 2008 campaign and made a fool of herself.
    There are so many better people out there that the Republicans could have run for President- why pick Palin?
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

I doubt it.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Thoughts?

I thought she was completely unqualified to run for 2008. Yet, her ability to become fluent in global politics and important issues enough to hold her own in the VP debate in such a short time was impressive. She seems like a quick learner.

If they groom her to run for 2012, I think I'd be willing to give her a very through re-evaluation. She seems like she has the brains and social skills that, if trained by the experts, she could potentially be a respectable candidate.

It is unlikely that I will ever vote for Sarah Palin because of the whole social conservatism element, but I do suspect that she got a really bum deal in this election. She was mismanaged, to be sure.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Not if the Republicans want to win. They need a fresh face, one who isn't beholden to the Religious Right, and with small-government conservatism bona fides.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTJ

Thoughts?

Are you kidding me? She managed to memorize a few talking points for the debate, but when she was asked something outside the scope of her previously prepared repertoire, she refused to answer and went back to her prepared talking points.

There is a reason why McCain's campaign limited her exposure to the reporters... because there was an extremely high likelihood that should would commit some kind of a faux pas (such as calling Africa a country).

The best she can hope for is some kind of talking head position on Fox news. After the Bush years, the public became cynical to the idea of "a President you want to have a beer with". So if she ever tries the national stage on her own, she will most likely be devastated.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

No thanks. She's just another big-government, social conservative. If the Republican party doesn't recognize this, they're doomed.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    No thanks. She's just another big-government, social conservative. If the Republican party doesn't recognize this, they're doomed.
    Too late. Republicans are already doomed. For the next 8 years anyway.

It's now Democrats turn to run wild, plunder, and piss off the populace.

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    It is unlikely that I will ever vote for Sarah Palin because of the whole social conservatism element, but I do suspect that she got a really bum deal in this election. She was mismanaged, to be sure.
    The whole social conservatism thing is pretty much a complete "never vote for her" deal for me too. But I also don't much care for some of the behavior she's shown as the governor of Alaska... in at least a few incidents, she's tended toward improper use of power. And as for the presidency, at least now, she's just flat-out not ready, even if I agreed with her politics. Like Edgar said, she basically said up front at the debate "I'm going to read you my talking points" - and then did that, even when they didn't relate to the question at hand. She does seem bright and driven, which are positives - she just needs some more experience on the national stage before she could really compete for the presidency. Oh, what on earth did I just say. She's no worse than Bush was (and likely better) - now I'm scared.

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Not if the Republicans want to win. They need a fresh face, one who isn't beholden to the Religious Right, and with small-government conservatism bona fides.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Uh oh. Snowballs in Hell time here. It's a political thread, and I agree with an opinion expressed by not only Pure Mercury, but Lateralus too. Now I'm *really* scared .

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Wait -- Is this a joke?

I'm sorry. The more that woman opens her mouth, the less I'd want to see her run for anything. (I hate to say I agree with Edgar -- *gulp* -- but there it is.) That was always the issue; she looked good up front, and the more people found out, the less comfortable they were with her.

I'll read the rest of the thread, though, and see what specifics anyone has to say, I'm always willing to see if I missed something.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft