User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I thought she was completely unqualified to run for 2008. Yet, her ability to become fluent in global politics and important issues enough to hold her own in the VP debate in such a short time was impressive. She seems like a quick learner.
    What surprised me about the debate was that she would boldly ignore a question and give an answer to a completely different topic. When asked about changing the bankruptcy laws, Palin responded with "I would like to talk about energy." This type of thing happened several times. In academic settings I've been in you would fail the question if you don't answer it, even if you read something that would be a reasonable answer to another question off a cue card. If you look at the debate you can see that she has cue cards that she reads off.

Her image is pretty badly damaged and I don't see any real promise of her being a quick study. She has developed the ability to dominate her culture, but the rules for winning support with a folksy presentation don't work as well at the national level. I haven't seen an indication that she can adapt tactics that would need to be radically different to impress and gain support at the national level. From what I understand of her, she is most comfortable when she is in complete control, and her social and political skills make that possible on a smaller scale in rural areas, but it seems to fall apart when dealing with the diversity that is present on the national stage.

My family is rather pro-Palin and I was sent promotional materials to read. Those things that turn me off to Palin are all present in her promo materials. The following was a clincher for me from the book "Sarah: How a Hockey Mom Turned Alaska's Political Establishment Upside Down" by Kaylene Johnson. It describes her early days as Mayor of Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by Johnson on Palin
    "I told them that I understood they had supported Mayor Stein," Sarah said of her first meeting with department heads, "But I told them they couldn't continue to support him now that he was out of office."

Sarah asked the department heads to resign and reapply for their positions. She requested resignations from the police chief, Public Works Director Jack Felton, Finance Director Duane Dvorak, and Librarian Mary Ellen Emmons. The city's museum manage, Jonn Cooper already had resigned when Sarah eliminated his position. The new mayor's startling demand for resignations tested the department heads' willingness to transfer their loyalties to the new administration. (page 47)
    That is from a book that praises her to the sky describing Palin as Esther and saying her sister's voice is like song.

It is not the Police Chief's job to be loyal to a politician. It is his job to uphold the law. And she made the librarian resign. The librarian? WTF
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Palin for president in 2012?
    AAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA*gasps for breath*HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I can't wait.

Quick learner?

McCain aides reveal to Bill O'Reilly reporter that Palin didn't know Africa was a continent and couldn't name the countries in North America. She has taken stupidity to a whole new level.

Palin Didn't Know Africa Is A Continent, Says Fox News Reporter (VIDEO)

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by meanlittlechimp View Post
    McCain aides reveal to Bill O'Reilly reporter that Palin didn't know Africa was a continent and couldn't name the countries in North America. She has taken stupidity to a whole new level.
    You betcha'.

Only a complete idiot comes with their own catch phrases and gimmicks, like "bull dog with lipstick" and "hockey mom".

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    I wonder why this only seems to be such an issue in the UK and the USA (at least of the countries I know anything about in this respect). Some form of prurient moral hypocrisy common to the two nations seems to lie behind it so far as I can see. No one really seems to care in most of the remainder of the developed world what people do in their private lives where it has no serious impact on their public role - it isn't reported on to anything like the same extent, and little seems to be made of it anyway. The French seem to be quite happy to be at it like rabbits while in positions of power, though I appreciate that may be a particular national attribute
    I agree that it seems unique to the USA (I'd even say we do it more than the UK). I think maybe it has to do with what you expect of a leader. In the USA, we want our leaders to not only be functionaries, but also our ambassadors, our role models. We want them to represent the best of us, in addition to being skilled politicians and lawmakers. And to us, "the best of us" includes marital fidelity.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by meanlittlechimp View Post
    Quick learner?

Palin Didn't Know Africa Is A Continent, Says Fox News Reporter (VIDEO)
    I'll have you all know that MOST Americans know nothing about Africa or South Africa or any other countries. Most people I meet are surprised that I'm white or that I know what a car is. Pfft.

And step aside, blaise, step aside....
    yesiknowimamiserablegrouchnowgoawayovmeleor

It's Mizzz ST, thank you...

Palin as a candidate in 2012? So she would run against Obama on her own?

I just think she represents the worst of America; jingoism and being unaware of how the rest of the world perceives you, loads of noise without much depth, resisting any bipartisan solutions. Having her as a candidate again would amount to yet another freakshow.

MBTI
    INxJ

Yeah, right.

MBTI
    INTP

I don't know but I hate people who have not but an OUNCE of general knowledge. Thats not even touching on her "debate" skills. I wonder where people get this idea of her being a quick learner. I'm actually willing to be swayed if I hear compelling enough evidence, hell I'm ready to jump sides if I hear even a decent argument.

To be honest though most people don't know shit about geography.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    INTP

She didn't know shit about anything global or even a lot of the major national issues before she started.
    See, that's what makes no sense to me. If she had close to zero interest in the outside world to the point where she didn't know about the major international issues and basic geography, that should instantly disqualify her from anything above running a small state or city.

Could I respect someone who voted for her in 2012? This is the question, and it's yet to be determined.
    My answer would be hell no.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    I just think she represents the worst of America; jingoism and being unaware of how the rest of the world perceives you, loads of noise without much depth, resisting any bipartisan solutions. Having her as a candidate again would amount to yet another freakshow.
    Agreed.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.