User Tag List

First 1234 Last

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

T-up.

Politics: It's got my vote.
    we fukin won boys

I think Sarah Palin was probably a nice candidate for the Republicans in the future, but McCain screwed her by thrusting her into the spotlight before she was ready. I kind of feel for her, because it must be hard to say "no" to running for vice-president, even if you aren't ready. Now she's going to be tainted forever by this debacle because in their desperation, the GOP picked her like a fruit that wasn't ripe yet.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Thoughts?

I thought she was completely unqualified to run for 2008. Yet, her ability to become fluent in global politics and important issues enough to hold her own in the VP debate in such a short time was impressive. She seems like a quick learner.

If they groom her to run for 2012, I think I'd be willing to give her a very through re-evaluation. She seems like she has the brains and social skills that, if trained by the experts, she could potentially be a respectable candidate.

She's charismatic, yes (though in a way that I find repulsive). A quick learner? Perhaps.

What stands out to me are accusations that she refused to be briefed before her first interviews, as well as her response on global warming during the VP debates. Granted I'm not going on much, they seem to indicate someone who's undriven to learn, and has very limited interest in anything that doesn't spell action. That's a huge problem for a presidential candidate, and likely the reason for her infamously small knowledge base. I don't know that she could or would even want to overcome that.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Too late. Republicans are already doomed. For the next 8 years anyway.

It's now Democrats turn to run wild, plunder, and piss off the populace.
    When I said doomed, I was thinking more long term. They're so out of touch, I'm starting to doubt they'll ever recover.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    When I said doomed, I was thinking more long term. They're so out of touch, I'm starting to doubt they'll ever recover.
    It goes in waves. After Jimmy Carter it looked like Democrats were doomed, but then they made a recovery during Clinton years.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I predict the "Palin = stupid" reputation she has received will be too hard for her to shake.

The conservative base might always think very favorably of her, but unless the country makes a major shift to the Right, it won't be enough.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Are you kidding me? She managed to memorize a few talking points for the debate, but when she was asked something outside the scope of her previously prepared repertoire, she refused to answer and went back to her prepared talking points.
    Exactly--this is how debates function now in North American politics; she adequately did what good debaters do in this arena--misdirect the negative and talk about the positive things.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix13 View Post
    She's charismatic, yes (though in a way that I find repulsive). A quick learner? Perhaps.

What stands out to me are accusations that she refused to be briefed before her first interviews, as well as her response on global warming during the VP debates. Granted I'm not going on much, they seem to indicate someone who's undriven to learn, and has very limited interest in anything that doesn't spell action. That's a huge problem for a presidential candidate, and likely the reason for her infamously small knowledge base. I don't know that she could or would even want to overcome that.
    Yes--this is why I would never vote for her (if I were American). Narrow-mindedness and disinterest in things that don't concern her directly. That's not a quality that's to be respected in a President, especially of such a powerful country.

I really do think her demonstration in the VP debate was respectable though. She didn't know shit about anything global or even a lot of the major national issues before she started. And she held her own.

I just think she could be groomed into a respectable candidate for some voters. Would I vote for her? No. Could I respect someone who voted for her in 2012? This is the question, and it's yet to be determined.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Exactly--this is how debates function now in North American politics; she adequately did what good debaters do in this arena--misdirect the negative and talk about the positive things.
    No no no, you're supposed to answer the question (or at least give an appearance of doing so) and then slowly transition to the issue that is beneficial to you. You don't say "I don't want to talk about this, instead I will talk about that". It's all about subtlety and finesse, which she clearly lacks.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

No no no, you're supposed to answer the question (or at least give an appearance of doing so) and then slowly transition to the issue that is beneficial to you. You don't say "I don't want to talk about this, instead I will talk about that". It's all about subtlety and finesse, which she clearly lacks.
    However, that was one of the most humorous moments of any presidential debate in the last 30 years...and certainly as worthy of SNL as anything else she did.
    edcoaching

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

She does it better than our lovely ESTJ of a Prime Minister, Steven Harper. He's way more blunt about it, but being a greying white guy, naturally has more respect from a lot of his followers.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis