User Tag List

First 678

Results 71 to 76 of 76

  1. #71
    Senior Member Simplexity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    ^ This is a weak argument.

    Somehow it's Obama's fault that many people are too stupid to make rational decisions based on well-reasoned arguments rather than appeal to emotion?

    That's an argument against democracy, not against Obama.

    American politics has never profited from the intelligence of the American electorate. The last 8 years are evidence enough.
    Trust me that is not my argument.

    My issue is that fundamentally I think there are a lot of dumbasses in general that have a decided impact in terms of votes. I was merely trying to find out how big of an impact it was on "them" I congratulated her on actually doing a little thinking and asking a couple of questions.

    *not calling Eileen a dumbass by any means.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

  2. #72
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Very positive response. I wish this guy had been saying this ten years ago, but it's nice to hear now. I really think the GOP will be resurgent if they return to the small-government, Constitution-based, peace-through-strength platform. Hopefully, they actually MEAN it, rather than just employ the rhetoric.
    It's only rhetoric. Neither party can be trusted. Both parties brown-nose when they're out of power, and they're corrupt when they're in power. We just keep cycling between the two, losing more and more freedom with each cycle.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  3. #73
    Senior Member edcoaching's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    752

    Default

    On the other hand, if we think that politics is beneath us then we're doomed to be governed by people whom we believe are our inferiors...
    edcoaching

  4. #74
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching View Post
    On the other hand, if we think that politics is beneath us then we're doomed to be governed by people whom we believe are our inferiors...
    I'd rather be governed by someone I KNOW to be my inferior than be governed by someone who believed to be my superior. Those are the ones who do long-term damage.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  5. #75
    / booyalab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Obama might not appeal to your values and principals, but he does appeal to mine.
    I didn't say that liberals don't have values or principles. I was only referring to the basis on which the candidates are most likely to campaign. The fact is, Democrats always have "charisma" and Republicans are always "intolerant", "Religious fundies", etc. All you have to do is look at how people on either side characterize each other to figure out how they each prefer to sell their candidates.

    But communitarianism is one of my values for sure, along with equity and diplomacy. Barack Obama appeals to values and principles--just not yours.
    Yeah, because, you know, my stance is
    1. fuck cooperation
    2. fuck justice
    3. fuck not nuking people

    And if Sarah Palin wasn't an attempt to appeal to voters through personality, I don't know what ever could be. Did she talk about some values and principles? Sure. But that political choice was clearly about personality primarily. Bush 2 was also the guy who most of America might "want to have a beer with." Did he talk about some values and principles? Yes--but many people voted for him because they thought he related to the common man. The Republican party does engage in this kind of politicking, and you saying otherwise reveals a partisan blindness.
    Although I disagree that the Palin choice was primarily about personality, I do agree that Republicans sometimes try to appeal with those tactics when they're desperate. But Democrats are much better at it.
    I don't wanna!

  6. #76
    Senior Member Eileen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?
    Posts
    2,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    Yeah, because, you know, my stance is
    1. fuck cooperation
    2. fuck justice
    3. fuck not nuking people
    While your stance may not be "fuck" any of those things, neither does it seem that it is "make it your primary goal in government." And that's because you believe that government should have a different role than I do, which is fine.

    Although I disagree that the Palin choice was primarily about personality,
    Seriously? If it was primarily about anything else, it was identity politics. I need to find the article about the guy who pushed for Palin... He was looking for a woman, and when he found Palin, he thought that she reminded him of Obama because of her charisma. Identity + Personality.
    INFJ

    "I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Similar Threads

  1. Barack Obama. Discuss.
    By Cindyrella in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 09-08-2008, 10:36 PM
  2. McCain vs. Obama
    By pure_mercury in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 07-28-2008, 07:55 AM
  3. Who knows when Obama will declare his VP?
    By swordpath in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-15-2008, 10:21 AM
  4. Bush n' Obama Kinfolk
    By heart in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-02-2008, 03:53 PM
  5. Did anyone catch Obama's speech on race?
    By JuilinThiefTaker in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 03-24-2008, 09:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO