User Tag List

First 5678 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    MacCarthysm is not dead.

The more I read from republican voters here, the way they see communists and communism everywhere (even in Obama), the more I feel like I was trapped into another dimension, whose time quadrant would be stuck around the mid 50'es.

It would be time for those guys to realize that the Berlin wall has been teared down some twenty years ago.

McCarthy was a demagogue, but the legitimate anti-communists of the 1950s turned out to be right in their assessments of the world scene, and of the threat of Soviet infiltration of American society. Poor methods for trying to combat it, though (and 10-15 years too late; the FDR and Truman administrations were the times communists were at their peak of influence in the government, media, etc.). Fortunately, communism is so stupid that it never works in the long-term.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

On the topic of American conservatism, there was a very interesting interview with Mickey Edwards this week on Fresh Air regarding where "American conservatism" is at the moment. Here's a link, if anyone wants to listen: NPR Media Player
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I'd decided to vote for Obama before I'd even heard him give a speech, merely from his policies (partly in contrast to McCain's). I feel pretty well justified in that now, as his plans look pretty good to me: Agenda | Change.gov

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    On the topic of American conservatism, there was a very interesting interview with Mickey Edwards this week on Fresh Air regarding where "American conservatism" is at the moment. Here's a link, if anyone wants to listen: NPR Media Player

Very positive response. I wish this guy had been saying this ten years ago, but it's nice to hear now. I really think the GOP will be resurgent if they return to the small-government, Constitution-based, peace-through-strength platform. Hopefully, they actually MEAN it, rather than just employ the rhetoric.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

How biased was the election coverage in Time?

Have they heard of balanced journalism in your country?

Still.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Frankly, I hope Obama will use his charisma to get the people who support him mobilized to do things for the country rather than to sweep in policies he wants.

I think many people voted for him based on leadership skills, not the policies he wants in place.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Frankly, I hope Obama will use his charisma to get the people who support him mobilized to do things for the country rather than to sweep in policies he wants.

I think many people voted for him based on leadership skills, not the policies he wants in place.
    Amen. Anyone who puts more of his competitors than his friends on the top board of the Harvard Law Review might actually also choose the most qualified people to advise him on leading the country...
    edcoaching

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching View Post
    Amen. Anyone who puts more of his competitors than his friends on the top board of the Harvard Law Review might actually also choose the most qualified people to advise him on leading the country...
    That has been one of the major confidences I have in Obama. I believe that he has excellent judgment, is extremely intelligent, and will surround himself with the smartest people in America. I believe that he will really work with his administration as a team, and I have a lot of confidence in that approach to leading.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    That has been one of the major confidences I have in Obama. I believe that he has excellent judgment, is extremely intelligent, and will surround himself with the smartest people in America. I believe that he will really work with his administration as a team, and I have a lot of confidence in that approach to leading.
    This is sound reasoning in my judgment. I may not personally weigh such factors as heavily in my decisions but I have confidence in your approach and mentality. Obviously for someone who doesn't have extensive history to go by Obama seems like he could be an exceptional president. I don't think theres too much doubt in that, especially when it comes to charisma.

The biggest thing, honestly, that I got from your response was the fact that you tried to go deeper and analyze some of the approaches on a mental and psychological level, not just his speeches. That was my biggest concern, the fact that voters would be so entranced that they couldn't detach themselves momentarily to ask the questions you did.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

^ This is a weak argument.

Somehow it's Obama's fault that many people are too stupid to make rational decisions based on well-reasoned arguments rather than appeal to emotion?

That's an argument against democracy, not against Obama.

American politics has never profited from the intelligence of the American electorate. The last 8 years are evidence enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.