User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    MacCarthysm is not dead.

The more I read from republican voters here, the way they see communists and communism everywhere (even in Obama), the more I feel like I was trapped into another dimension, whose time quadrant would be stuck around the mid 50'es.

It would be time for those guys to realize that the Berlin wall has been teared down some twenty years ago.
    There is a difference between Soviet-style governance and communist idealism. I will not define it, as I thought it was obvious.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

MacCarthysm is not dead.

The more I read from republican voters here, the way they see communists and communism everywhere (even in Obama), the more I feel like I was trapped into another dimension, whose time quadrant would be stuck around the mid 50'es.

It would be time for those guys to realize that the Berlin wall has been teared down some twenty years ago.
    That's because republicans are conservatives. Being too slow to adapt has never been a good trait... Whether it be in nature or society.
    I'm not going to make myself very popular by comparing republicans to political neanderthals, but it kind of fits the description. I pity them, really. They don't know better because their minds have been twisted by their surroundings.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    That's because republicans are conservatives. Being too slow to adapt has never been a good trait... Whether it be in nature or society.
    I'm not going to make myself very popular by comparing republicans to political neanderthals, but it kind of fits the description. I pity them, really. They don't know better because their minds have been twisted by their surroundings.
    Not all republicans are not conservative, just as not all democrats are liberals. For much of the nation's history, the majority of the public has leaned conservative. Conservatism is closer to the center than other positions in the republican right isle. People like Bush are not a conservative, and I doubt any conservatives would say he upholds conservative principles. Bush is what we would call the extreme right. I doubt anyone would say that more than a small handful of politicians uphold conservative principles. That is the fact of the matter. I thank God sometimes that Mccain wasn't voted so he could go around masquerading as a conservative and destroying the definition of it forever. Be careful when you sling around political definitions.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

MacCarthysm is not dead.

There is a need to get out of the safety bubble mentality people hold where nothing bad happens and the world is all candy coated, and wars and malevolent ambitions only exist outside the country and never touch you. If you say it's not you, I guarantee it's a great deal of Americans who actually think that way. This generation has witnessed and been hit by NOTHING as significant as what previous generations have faced. For this reason, Americans have become sorely complacent and slack as they grew up in a world that had none of the in your face dangers of the past. Rest assured, the hearts of mankind are still the same as they were decades ago, and the preservation freedom requires just as much vigilance as it always has.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Not all republicans are not conservative, just as not all democrats are liberals. For much of the nation's history, the majority of the public has leaned conservative. Conservatism is closer to the center than other positions in the republican right isle. People like Bush are not a conservative, and I doubt any conservatives would say he upholds conservative principles. Bush is what we would call the extreme right. I doubt anyone would say that more than a small handful of politicians uphold conservative principles. That is the fact of the matter. I thank God sometimes that Mccain wasn't voted so he could go around masquerading as a conservative and destroying the definition of it forever. Be careful when you sling around political definitions.

Bush is basically a moderate. He is certainly not extreme right. Neither is Obama extreme left (I know you didn't say it; I'm just pointing it out). Given that political compass thing, I'm pretty sure that they're all in the upper right quadrant.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Neither is Obama extreme left (I know you didn't say it; I'm just pointing it out).
    You are the queen of denial :/. Obama was assessed as the #1 most liberal senator in 2007, ahead of Joe Biden at 3rd place. National Journal. That plus any duck with a feather for a brain could look at his policies and voting record and tell which side of the aisle he stands on.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Liberal isn't necessarily left.

Edit: Well, maybe in the U.S.....................

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    INTP

And Franco died in the seventies, that hasn't prevented Western Europe from going ape-shit every time a pseudo-fascist (the National Front probably IS fascist, as it is my understanding they advocate the disenfranchisement and ultimate deportation of actual French citizens) party wins a significant portion of votes (while giving the euro-communist a pass). The Europeans are simply vigilant (sometimes excessively so) regarding the resurgence of such principles and ideas that brought disaster upon their continent and degrade cherished institutions/cultural mores in their own right-as are the Republicans regarding pseudo-communist ideals.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    You are the queen of denial :/. Obama was assessed as the #1 most liberal senator in 2007, ahead of Joe Biden at 3rd place. National Journal. That plus any duck with a feather for a brain could look at his policies and voting record and tell which side of the aisle he stands on.
    Sure, he's on the left side of American politics, but he's not extreme. That is to say--in America, there may not really BE many people representative of the "true left."

US Presidential Election 2008

According to this, Biden, Edwards, and Kucinich are all to the left of Obama. And all of them are closer to "libertarian" attitudes than any Republican candidate besides Ron Paul.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Sure, he's on the left side of American politics, but he's not extreme. That is to say--in America, there may not really BE many people representative of the "true left."

US Presidential Election 2008

According to this, Biden, Edwards, and Kucinich are all to the left of Obama. And all of them are closer to "libertarian" attitudes than any Republican candidate besides Ron Paul.
    And that is because the vast majority of Republicans simply are not interested in being the party of small government and individual freedom anymore. Bush-style Republicanism directly led to Obama's victory and a significant Democratic majority in both houses of Congress.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"